just acquired a mentor

5 Replies

I just acquired a mentor yesterday. I am really wanting to get into real estate investing and read in several books and articles about being mentored. I found someone here in my area and to get started with him was $2995. He gave me tons of material to study and about 10-15 leads. I'm wondering is this normal or did I make a mistake?

if you think it'll help and you get business out of it then it would seem have done its job 

Mark,
Don’t spend more money on your mentor.. Money is better spend on a downpayment on your first deal.
What qualifies him of being a mentor?
Most investors would be happy to share their knowledge for a cup of coffee, this is our passion and we enjoy discussing it.
Not sure what you are getting out of your mentor that books, Bigger Pockets and the MLS cant provide??

I think taking a look at his bio and gleaning from the 41 yrs of experience is what I was looking at. I'm being mentored by him for 3 months. I'm gonna work my butt off to make this investment I made work for me. I'll keep you guys posted.

Depends how fast you want to reach your goals bud. I personally recommend mentors - I've spent A LOT on them but the information is priceless and I've got that / will make that back tenfold! But there's good and bad ones so make sure you know what you want & why you want it. I'm paying more than triple that but then, he has 50 staff, is leap and bounds ahead of where I am and you don't get a free handout from anyone at that level (I wouldn't expect one anyway!) Food for thought! 

Dan. That makes sense. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.