Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Alek Truitt
  • Cedar Hill, TX
Votes |
Military member looking to get starting in investing.

Alek Truitt
  • Cedar Hill, TX
Posted Feb 22 2018, 23:43

I'm currently in the military stationed overseas and frankly this is not what I'm cut out for. I would love to get started in Real estate but I won't be coming home until late 2019. My wife and I want to get a multifamily home and live in one unit while renting out the others in order to take advantage of the VA loans 0% down payment since we don't have a lot of money to put towards a house. However, I don't want to wait another almost two years to get started. I have done a lot of research into this and I know I could make it work if I was in the States but unfortunately I am not. Do any of you who may have more experience have advice or recommendations on how I can overcome this huge starting hurtle?

A few answers to questions that I have seen asked on a lot of similar posts are:

Our end goal is to make at least $6,000 a month passively by the time we are 35, and live somewhere it doesn’t snow.

I do not plan on staying in the military, but obviously that could change depending on life.

I do know a few people who have a little experience in real estate and quite a few people who have extensive knowledge in every area of construction.

I am currently obtaining my bachelors in IT management and may get a job in that field to help fund this but I would prefer not to if possible.

Thank you in advance

Loading replies...