Getting a loan with short proof of income

3 Replies

I am very interested in doing a house hack on a duplex, triplex, in order to start out as a REI. The major issue that I am facing is that I am only 18 years old and do not have 2 years of proved income. If I have only worked at a job for a few months but I bring in enough monthly income to afford the property is there a way to get a loan? Possibly a FHA?

@Calvin Waage "is there a way to get a loan? Possibly a FHA?"

To be honest, probably not to both those questions.  My advice for you in your position would be to network with others investors/rehabbers/hard money lenders/real estate agents, etc.  I do not know if there are any events going on up in Alec, so you might need to come to the cities for networking.  Or start your own event (Bigger Pockets Events).  It could be as simple as meeting 5-10 others at a coffee shop in town and discussing your goals.

By meeting others and establishing rapport, you could partner with someone, do a wholesale deal, etc. to build capital that would eventually enable you to reach your REI goals. Trying to get a conventional loan with 2 months of wages is, simply put, very unrealistic.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here