How to learn about your real estate market?

How to learn about your real estate market?

Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 26 votes

Hello Biggerpockets,

I've been using www.bestplaces.net and it's been giving me a general idea of the real estate in the area. Is there any other approach I could use to having a better understanding of the local real estate market? Maybe a popular real estate book that teaches this subject?

Best Regards,

Brian Tran

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2015 · 151 posts · 143 votes
8y

Contact a local agent and ask for a MLS email daily. Pick a local zip code or 3 and get familiar with the market.

OKC is hot right now for turnkey I believe. Given that I assume you are in a decent place to execute the BRRRR strategy.

David Lindahl wrote Emerging Markets which might be one with info on studying a market.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2015 · 151 posts · 143 votes
    8y

    Contact a local agent and ask for a MLS email daily. Pick a local zip code or 3 and get familiar with the market.

    OKC is hot right now for turnkey I believe. Given that I assume you are in a decent place to execute the BRRRR strategy.

    David Lindahl wrote Emerging Markets which might be one with info on studying a market.

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Are there any specifics in the MLS you should be looking for or is it more just to give a general idea?

    Thanks! Also just starting out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2015 · 151 posts · 143 votes
    8y

    @Kean Levreault When I look at multi family I like to find the rent numbers and run some calcs to get an idea of what the property can do for me cash flow wise. 

    In general it is a good way to just get an idea of what is happening in the market. Listing prices, days on market, different key terms in listings that tell you something about the condition of the house. After a month or three of looking at listings everyday you will naturally start to see things.

    It isnt life changing but its a start.

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Hi @Brian Tran, I'd be happy to help you navigate this. 

    The best way to find out about the market is to find people actively working in it. Definitely recommend connecting to other investors in the area. There are several REIAs and coffee meet ups that I would recommend. 

    Just shoot me a message if you'd like more info on any of the meetups or if you have any specific questions. I'd be happy to help! 

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    @Noel R. Thank you. That is helpful. I just contacted an agent to get that emailed over, but I have read that it is a slightly truncated version. I've been looking into becoming an unlicensed agent assistant. My understanding is that with that title you can gain full access to the MLS if you are added onto that agents account. A friend of mine in Oakland is getting her real estate license and I was asking her if I could be hers. I figure it cant hurt.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.