Rookie's first Single Family Home ... to house hack or not?!

Rookie's first Single Family Home ... to house hack or not?!

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Long post here, bear with me please!

Hey everyone! Here's the scenario:

So let's say I recently purchased a first home at $185,000. It is a 3 bed, 2 bath in very good (move-in ready) condition with a driveway, good sized front and backyards and in a nice, up-and-coming neighborhood, just across the street from a beautiful community park. The property value is expected to increase in coming years and the area seems steadily on the rise. It is a suburb in South Jersey along the Delaware River, about 5 miles outside Philadelphia with easy highway access and available public transit to the city. The home was purchased with an FHA loan at 3.5% down and a 5k seller's assist at closing. Monthly payment looks to be about $1500 (excluding only utilities). This is very doable for me given my current financial situation, however after two friends recently expressed interest in moving in, I was thinking of "house hacking" and renting two of the rooms to them to offset some the mortgage.

Originally the purpose of purchasing this house was NOT to use it as a rental or to produce significant cashflow. The primary purpose was originally to be closer to my part-time job, where I intend to begin building a business out of and going full time over the next few years. Also, I sought to obtain a property with a good chance of gaining some equity in the coming years. But after considering the interest of my two friends, I'm thinking that a house hack might be a good call. While the home will still technically produce negative cashflow, it would give me a very cheap monthly payment on a house that is steadily gaining value.

Now, over the next year, my goal is to purchase another SHF in the area as my first official "rental" property, with the intent of positive cashflow and passive monthly income. Given my current scenario with this recently purchased house, if you were going to rent out to the two friends to offset the cost of the mortgage - would you keep things simple and do this "under the table" without all of the legal paperwork, or would you do this "officially" with all the necessary paperwork and legal forms making me the official "landlord" renting out to two tenants.

The way I see it is this.. keeping things under the table would make things simple with my two friends and obviously require less paperwork. However, when I eventually go to acquire a loan for the rental property purchase in the next year or so, wouldn't the full mortgage payment on paper count against me (debt to income ratio..?)? This would reduce my net monthly income and make it harder to obtain a good loan. On the other hand, if I were to go through all the legal steps and fill out the required paperwork to make this first home a "rental property" and myself the landlord renting to my two friends, wouldn't this would give me more of an advantage when going to obtain a loan for the next rental property as my monthly expenses would show as less and monthly income as more?

I am brand new to all of this and fully acknowledge my rookie status and near-total ignorance. So what do you guys think is the right move to make here?? Any and all feedback as to what you think the best route to take in this scenario would be greatly appreciated! Again, the goal is now to minimize the cost of this first home, and to acquire another SFH rental in the area in the next year or so with positive cashflow. I want to maximize my flexibility in terms of financing options and my potential to obtain a loan for the investment property.

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance, this rookie appreciates the feedback!

-Ryan

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 16 votes
8y

Hi Ryan-

Banks generally won't count rental income unless it was reported on your taxes, correct. Also, you may be able to take deductions since it's partially a rental (talk to a CPA for specifics, but I think I was able to deduct like 50% of the utilities, HOA dues, depreciation, etc (see here for more info since I could be totally wrong: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tax-issues...) I would chat with your CPA (who will likely advise you to follow the law, haha!) but it would probably benefit you more to have a lease and report the income. 

Also, unless it's different in your state, there aren't really any "legal steps" for renting out rooms. Just get a state-specific month to month lease agreement online (BP has them) and have them fill it out and sign it. In WA, it's a one-step process to make it official. 

Hope that helps a bit!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    Hi Ryan-

    Banks generally won't count rental income unless it was reported on your taxes, correct. Also, you may be able to take deductions since it's partially a rental (talk to a CPA for specifics, but I think I was able to deduct like 50% of the utilities, HOA dues, depreciation, etc (see here for more info since I could be totally wrong: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tax-issues...) I would chat with your CPA (who will likely advise you to follow the law, haha!) but it would probably benefit you more to have a lease and report the income. 

    Also, unless it's different in your state, there aren't really any "legal steps" for renting out rooms. Just get a state-specific month to month lease agreement online (BP has them) and have them fill it out and sign it. In WA, it's a one-step process to make it official. 

    Hope that helps a bit!

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Hey Briana,

    That is a huge help, thanks for the input! Those all seem to be pro's in favor of having an official lease and reporting the income, so I am leaning towards that. Are there any con's to this that you think I should be aware of? 

    Thanks again!

  • Investor · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2013 · 394 posts · 123 votes
    8y

    Under the table can get bad.  I would stay above board.

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    Ryan- I don't think so. I mean you will have to report a bit of additional income, which will help you with future properties. As long as your CPA takes the proper deductions, it shouldn't hurt you too much, though. Personally, I would keep anyone on month to month leases so it's easier to end things if they don't work out. Check with your state, but we only have to give 20 day notice for MTM leases.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Okay great - think I will go with that route and talk to a CPA. Thank you again!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.