Should I start in real estate by wholesaling or flipping

Should I start in real estate by wholesaling or flipping

Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello! I’m new to real estate but I’ve been doing a lot of research on flipping houses. I haven’t done my first deal yet but I’ve been saving up to buy my first property at an auction coming up and I have a friend who kind of knows about real estate who is willing to partner with me. However, I also have read about wholesaling and went to a seminar on it. My question is, would it be better for me to start off wholesaling first? Is it worth it? Or should I continue with my plan of just flipping houses?

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · USA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 751 votes
8y

It's hard to compare the 2. One is a low risk,  low margin strategy. The other is high risk, high margin strategy. It would also depend on what you like doing. Do you like talking to people and putting deals together? Or do you like building things and seeing them develop.  Personally I'm a sales man so I would do the wholesaling. You should also look at lease options. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · USA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 751 votes
    8y

    It's hard to compare the 2. One is a low risk,  low margin strategy. The other is high risk, high margin strategy. It would also depend on what you like doing. Do you like talking to people and putting deals together? Or do you like building things and seeing them develop.  Personally I'm a sales man so I would do the wholesaling. You should also look at lease options. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    From what it seems you are saving capital to purchase your first flip wholesaling, is the best way to me because that's exactly what am doing building a brand and capital to fix n flip also, buy and hold.   

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greensboro, NC · Member since 2010 · 623 posts · 615 votes
    8y

    @Brierra Johnson

    You can't really decide starting out where you want to start. Why? Because you have no idea what type of deal you'll find and which seller will call and/or work with you.

    This is why you need to network network network with local investors so you have someone to buy the ones you can't handle.

    And wholesaling is not actually an investment technique. It is a way to sell properties. If you buy something and do nothing to it, mark it up and resell it - that's considered a wholesale. Deals like that are actually hard to find so you may not be selling all that many wholesale, anyway.

    But network and find properties, then decide what you'll do with them.

  • Real Estate Investor & Consultant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 620 posts · 386 votes
    8y

    @Brierra Johnson visit 3 local flippers and 3 local wholesalers. Tap their brains for an hour or so each, and after these meetings you should have a great idea on which one fits your personality/goals more. 

    All the best!

    sjw

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.