What would you do with 200k in cash as a starter?

What would you do with 200k in cash as a starter?

Specialist · Santa Cruz, CA (Santa Cruz) · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 10 votes
If you had 200k in cash in the bank account. What would be your first move?
0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 399 posts · 166 votes
8y

i would educate myself and network. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · OAKLAND, CA · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 30 votes
    8y

    @Michael Guydish , Depending on which investment type you leaning toward doing. 

    I assume you're talking about REI. If so, finding a property that allow you can do 10-20% down payment would be a good starter to get your feet wet in the game. Keep in mind of all fees and holding cost related to the transaction.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 479 votes
    8y

    @Michael Guydish first off it sounds like an awesome problem to have! (my post is based off the assumption of you knowing how to analyze a deal to see if it's a good one or not) The first move is to determine if you want to be hands on and actively managing a deal and the day to day of it or do you want to passively invest in someone else's bigger deal? 

    If it's option 1 I would recommend looking into a multifamily in a growing or very stable market that you know very well and have access to easily if its not a market in your back yard.

    If it's option 2 I would recommend vetting syndicators/sponsors and seeing who is investing in assets that align with you investment goals. Some offer higher risk higher return and some lower risk lower return.

    Let us know on what you decide! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Michael Guydish First of all, I wouldn't publicize how much money you have on a public forum.  Second, tt depends whether you'd like to be an active or passive investor. There're options for both routes.  Please share your plans/bandwidth for further suggestions.

  • Contractor · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 399 posts · 166 votes
    8y

    i would educate myself and network. 

  • Specialist · Santa Cruz, CA (Santa Cruz) · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    Thanks everyone for responding. Let me paraphrase and say I do not have 200k in the bank account. It is just a number I would like to start with. I want to see what people would do in real estate with that amount. Thanks again for the responses!
  • Ayne C.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 251 posts · 124 votes
    8y
    @Michael Guydish First I would talk to lenders to get a feel for what products for my strategy. Then I would buy a value-add multifamily property for cash, then rehab it, get tenants at market rent, then refinance most of my money out, and do it again.
  • Rental Property Investor · Boise/Portland · Member since 2017 · 709 posts · 742 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Michael Guydish:
    Thanks everyone for responding. Let me paraphrase and say I do not have 200k in the bank account. It is just a number I would like to start with. I want to see what people would do in real estate with that amount. Thanks again for the responses!

     Really?!  You come onto BP with a handful of posts and throw out a hypothetical? 

  • Specialist · Santa Cruz, CA (Santa Cruz) · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    @Matthew McNeil Yes! I want to see what people would do with that amount. What would you do?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.