Bought a house, would like to move 1 or 2 roommates in - help

Bought a house, would like to move 1 or 2 roommates in - help

Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello. I should start out by being honest. I am completely new to all of this.  

I just bought a beautiful home and, while I dont need it, would like to move in two working professionals into the two vacant rooms while I lived I stayed in the master.  I have heard conflicting information about me not being able to and being able to discriminate against potential applicants on craigslist so my first question is, if I live in the house and I'm looking for house mates, am I able to be picky and interview them? 

Second question, should I be hiring an attorney to draft a lease?  Year leases scare people off and I'd like to do month to month but is this possible?

Third question, what are the rules on kicking out the type of individual that I have previously mentioned, should issues arise?

Any other tips or guidance is appreciated.  

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 176 posts · 83 votes
    8y

    @Sam Nelson I am not a lawyer, but I think you can use a bit more scrutiny when looking for a roommate. I would definitely recommend screening any roommate the same you would as a tenant that would be renting your place if you weren't there. Draw up a lease with some specific reasons for lease being terminated. If you are nervous about anything hire a lawyer to review it. Also might be worthwhile looking at renting it out as an Airbnb rental. My buddy did that, and it worked out great for him. Good luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Broken Arrow, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Its called "house hacking" and many people start off that way.  You can offset most if not all of your mortgage and sometimes the utilities also, and possibly live for FREE that way.  Search BP for house hacking.  I'm sure this has been covered in depth many times before.

    Good luck!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.