New investor needs advise on a deal

New investor needs advise on a deal

Finger Lakes, NY · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 15 votes

Hello,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I have kind put myself in an analysis paralysis situation. I am a new investor, and I mean REAL new! So if you are kind enough to comment, please be gentle.

 I am trying to buy my first rental property. I have narrowed down my desired niche to small multi-family properties, close to a college as I have a lot of experiences dealing with college students.

I am in upstate NY, and if any of you are familiar with NY, the taxes are brutal.

I found a 3-family (currently rented, $2700 a month income) in a college town. Assessed at $50K, with taxes at $3K. The owners want to sell it because they are moving back to NY and want to buy a house, and need a good amount of cash. They want $164 K for it. To pay that amount in that town means the taxes triple, and makes the return on investment, not really worth it.

I would like to buy the property at the assessed value in cash.  Then pay the owner on the side with monthly payments on the rest at a higher interest rate like 8-10%. This way they get their asking price, a large chunk of cash to put down on a house, and they're new mortgage will most likely be covered by my payment. And I can keep the taxes at close to same rate.

They might not even take the deal. But I guess I want feedback if this is a good deal or if I am way off. I am trying to find a win-win for both of us.

Thank you so much for reading my lengthy post! I appreciate the feedback.

0Reply
20 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 53 votes
    7y
    @KC Conti One of the hardest thing to learn in RE is “you need to lov your money more then a particular property” You seem to emotional attached with this deal No deal is better then a bad deal
  • Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 53 votes
    7y
    @KC Conti It’s hard to understand why you would agree to pay $164K for a property worth $50k
  • Finger Lakes, NY · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    They bought it for 30K 10 years ago and completely remodeled it. My husband is a contractor and he is the one that told me with the amount of work they did, it's probably worth about 150K.  I am really struggling to find what I am looking for. I've been actively looking for about three months and I haven't had a lot of success. But perhaps, I am just too excited to finally get a property that I am blinded. Thank you @Shmuel Waldman.

  • Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 53 votes
    7y

    @KC Conti

    That is one of the big mistakes new investors have

    If i put in a $100k  tub in a house. it DOES NOT bring up the value of the house by $100k

    A house is only work what it can sell for.

    When i was new I made the following mistake

    The area i was looking to buy a house had average comps of $100 per SF

    Most houses are 1000 SF

    Which makes the average house worth $150k

    The house I was looking at was the largest on the block at 2500 SF

    The asking price was $137k

    I was like wow. 

    I will fix up and sell for $250k

    Little did I know that no one who has $250k will be willing to live in that area.

    My point is 

    A house is only worth what others are willing to pay for it.

    It makes no difference how much money was put into the house

    BEST OF LUCK

    P.S. NEVER LOVE A HOUSE MORE THEN YOUR MONEY.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @KC Conti Consider using Rental Property calculator BP offers. ALso, check for a demand for this sort of rental in the area. You said it is in a college town and I'm assuming your tenants would be college students. Research the demand in college students community. Keep in mind, it is seasonal, short term and you will most likely have to require parents signature and a larger deposit to back up these tenants. 

    Best of luck!

  • Finger Lakes, NY · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    Thank you @Alina Trigub, I appreciate the help : ) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.