Pulling Cash Out Of Free And Clear Property

Pulling Cash Out Of Free And Clear Property

Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 8 votes

A friend and I are looking to partner up and purchase our first investment House Hack with cash (His capital, I do all the work). The current intention is to purchase that property, utilize some method to pull that cash back out (researching this part) and put the property under an FHA loan or VA Loan (we're both veterans). We would then apply that returned capital to a business concept I've been working on; my friend would be the investor, and I would do everything else. This would allow us to accomplish our end goal of obtaining our first investment property, living rent free, and all the while operating a business together. The current foreseeable problem is that we are both currently new entrepreneurs, meaning we lack a verifiable income to reflect towards a loan, so we may have to utilize a family member to co-sign for the House Hack's loan. My questions:

- Is there a flaw with this generalized plan or a more effective way to go about this?

- What is the most effective route with getting the cash back out of the property? (I've been going through a couple articles comparing refinancing and HELOC and I'm still unsure)

Thanks in advance!

0Reply
21 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Eric GiovannucciBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 172 posts · 99 votes
    7y

    I suppose my first question is if you're purchasing the house with cash, why use a VA loan to finance with afterward? The VA loan is going to come with you having to live there for 12 months, if not it can be considered mortgage fraud and cause problems for you.

    Why not use conventional, pull the cash out and move forward to your next investment. 

    If you each have VA loans, and have the capital to flip stuff, have you considered hacking through 4 plexes simultaneously, while working on the other flips? May be able to spread your capital around through multiple projects and see a better ROI?

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Eric Giovannucci Living there wouldn't be a problem as it is our intention to live there anyways for the rent free aspect of it. It isn't our current plan to flip, rather we are looking to buy and hold. The biggest hindrance we are dealing with is the logistics and prerequisites of the loan process. We essentially will be able to only pull off getting one conventional loan as of now until him and I both exceed two years of income to reflect towards another loan (income requirement from banks for small business owners).

    I'm curious, are you saying that maybe we could house hack a multi-plex, pull that money out and use it for flipping instead of buying and holding?

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Maybe look at a 5 plex where the bank looks at the financials of the property and you and your partner secondarily?  Not sure how that would work but might be something to look at. 

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Mary M. I haven't thought of going the commercial route. I'll have to look more into that. The main goal here is to just effectively purchase a property and pull as much money back out as possible to apply either towards Real Estate or the business model I spoke of in the original post. My only worry about large multi-family is we have no experience in investment properties at all, and starting smaller (SFR up to 4plex) might ease us into the process.

  • Eric GiovannucciBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 172 posts · 99 votes
    7y

    Yes to the house hack the multi using the VA.

    From what I understand you will have an easier time refinancing the multi while you are still living there as it seems that it will be more difficult to find a lender to let you pull cash out of the investment, not impossible just easier if its still a primary residence. 

    If you time it correctly, I think it would work. However, maybe someone with more experience can help further dive into that. 

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Andy Pate

    If you two are new entrepreneurs and have no verifiable income, you will not be eligible for either VA or FHA financing and a co-signer will not help you because the borrowers have to qualify on their own for a certain percentage of the loan. Owner occupied house hack will not work.

    However...

    ...you will be able to use business purpose financing with no income verification loans to purchase an investment property. You'll have to show the last 12 month's payments to your primary residence because you will not be able to live in the subject property and must prove that you have another place to live.

    Lots to work on there.  You need a good mortgage broker to help you with the details before you go any further.

    Best of luck

    Stephanie

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Stephanie P. Sorry for the late reply, but I appreciate the response! For the business purpose financing where you mention having to show the last 12 months of payments, does it matter that it's rent payments instead of mortgage payments? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.