I am a future investor getting ready

I am a future investor getting ready

Member since 2011 · 11 posts · 1 vote

Hello!

I have come across this site this morning. I am 47 years old, and I will pay off my house in March. Once I no longer have a mortgage in my primary residence, I am thinking investing in real estate could be a good investment for my retirement in 20 years. I would like to own several rental properties in 20 years if possible.

I won't that have much left after I send the last payment to my house in March; however, I will have my current mortgage payment to save each month. I should be able to save at least 20% down payment for a rental property in less than a year.

I tried real estate investing once a few years ago. I failed. It was my fault. Here's what I did:

I didn't have enough down payment. The monthly rent was only enough to cover the mortgage with nothing left to handle repairs, vacancies, etc. I had no savings.

I accepted the first tenant who showed up. Ouch. I didn't check their background, credit, nothing. I didn't even know if the man was employed.

One month, when the rental check didn't come in, I tried to call the tenants. Their phone had been disconnected, so I drove to the house and knocked at the door. No answer, it looked like the house was empty!? So I asked one of their neighbors who told me my tenants had actually picked up their stuff and moved away days earlier.

I had no contract with them. I had no deposit, no last month, nothing. The mortgage was due in just a few days, and I had no money.

That was my only experience with real estate. It was a stupid mistake. I paid 100% of the asking price, and they were asking market value. It was a bad investment in every way.

Today, several years later, and knowing well what mistakes I made, I am willing to reconsider real estate as an investment vehicle. I will try to join some real estate investment club in my area, and I plan on getting a real estate license too.

My first question is this: What kind of POSITIVE CASHFLOW would be acceptable? Is there a rule of thumb? Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Thanks!

CharlieBoy.
:D

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
15y

Unfortunately, every time any has provided any significant dataset, the 50% rule has been supported. Lots of people, especially new investors, believe the expenses just can be that bad.

Now, if you do your own property management and maintenance, your actual cash expenses will be lower. You are, in a sense, earning the PM and maintenance cut. Some will argue that's a waste of time, since those aren't exactly highly paid occupations. OTOH, when you consider what you have to pay for those services vs. the time it takes to do that work yourself, it often works out to a pretty nice hourly rate. And, if your goal is to use your rentals as your only source of income, doing these tasks can greatly reduce the number you need.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2011 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    >>As long as you don't rely on them for your financial projections

    I'll let the numbers talk. I'll tell the agent not to bother unless the 50% can be successfully applied.

    My home will be paid off on March. When I bought it 3 years ago ($300K), the mortgage brokers told me I qualified for much, much more, probably twice that amount. I didn't let them tell me what I qualified for. I decided what I qualified for. So, there is no danger of me letting agents, or anybody else for that matter, make any projections or number-crunching on my behalf.

    HEY, ARE MOBILE HOMES WORTH LOOKING AT?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.