New to analyzing deals .. Would you do this deal?

New to analyzing deals .. Would you do this deal?

Rental Property Investor · Bayonne, NJ · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 5 votes

Good evening BP,

I am new to analyzing deals, I have put together this property and hope to learn if I am running numbers and assumptions correctly. Any advice, feedback is welcomed. Thank you

NOTE: Property List for $229,000 and is bank owned and I assumed $12,000 per unit for rehab.

Example A Rent 3 is $0 due to this being a house hack Strategy. Example B is with the unit rented out after One year.

EXAMPLE A: House Hacked

Address: 642 John Fitzgerald Kennedy Blvd, Bayonne, NJ 07002 Type: Multi-Family

** Unit Information ** 

Total Units: 3 

Total Square Footage: 0 

1 Unit: 3/1 (0 sq. ft., $1,500 Rent Per Month) 

1 Unit: 2/1 (0 sq. ft., $1,250 Rent Per Month) 

1 Unit: 2/1 (0 sq. ft., $0 Rent Per Month)

** Purchase & Rehab **

 Purchase Price: $265,000 ($0/sq. ft., $88,333/unit) 

After Repair Value: $325,000 

Purchase Costs: $7,950 

Rehab Costs: $0 

Down Payment: $9,275 

Total Cash Needed: $17,225

** Financing ** 

Loan Type: Amortizing

 Loan Amount: $255,725 

Loan to Value: 96.5% 

Loan Term: 30 Years 

Interest Rate: 5.25%

 Monthly Payment: $1,412

** Cash Flow (Monthly) ** 

Rent: $2,750 

Vacancy: -$275 (10%) 

Expenses: -$1,348 (54.5%)

NOI: $1,127 ($376/unit)

Mortgage Payment: -$1,412 

Cash Flow: -$285 (-$95/unit)

** Returns & Ratios **

 Cap Rate (Purchase): 5.1% 

Cap Rate (Market Value): 4.2% 

Cash on Cash Return: -19.9% 

Return on Investment: 243.2% 

Return on Equity: -4.1%

EXAMPLE B: All units rented

** Unit Information ** 

Total Units: 3 

Total Square Footage: 0 

1 Unit: 3/1 (0 sq. ft., $1,500 Rent Per Month) 

1 Unit: 2/1 (0 sq. ft., $1,250 Rent Per Month) 

1 Unit: 2/1 (0 sq. ft., $1,250 Rent Per Month)

** Purchase & Rehab **

 Purchase Price: $265,000 ($0/sq. ft., $88,333/unit) 

After Repair Value: $325,000 

Purchase Costs: $7,950 

Rehab Costs: $0 

Down Payment: $9,275 

Total Cash Needed: $17,225

** Financing ** 

Loan Type: Amortizing

 Loan Amount: $255,725

 Loan to Value: 96.5% 

Loan Term: 30 Years 

Interest Rate: 5.25% 

Monthly Payment: $1,412

** Cash Flow (Monthly) ** 

Rent: $4,000 

Vacancy: -$400 (10%) 

Expenses: -$1,648 (45.8%) 

NOI: $1,952 ($651/unit)

Mortgage Payment: -$1,412 

Cash Flow: $540 ($180/unit)

** Returns & Ratios ** 

Cap Rate (Purchase): 8.8% 

Cap Rate (Market Value): 7.2% 

Cash on Cash Return: 37.6% 

Return on Investment: 300.7% 

Return on Equity: 7.8%

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Temple, TX · Member since 2014 · 379 posts · 164 votes
7y
@Andrew G Martinez I apologize. I misunderstood that part. I was thinking that you were strictly financing it as an investment property in example b. You are correct. After living there for a full year, you can move out and retain the financing
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Temple, TX · Member since 2014 · 379 posts · 164 votes
    7y

    one mistake that i can see instantly is that in your example B, you will not be able to put just 3.5% down if you are living in one of the units.  You will need 20 - 25% down in that scenario.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bayonne, NJ · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @James Stevens , thank you for your response, I would be house hacking using a 203k loan during year 1 Example A and would move out to rent final unit in Example B.  Would I have to refinance to a conventional loan at this point? From my research I should be able to remain with the same mortgage after year one. 

    Thanks

  • Contractor · Temple, TX · Member since 2014 · 379 posts · 164 votes
    7y
    @Andrew G Martinez I apologize. I misunderstood that part. I was thinking that you were strictly financing it as an investment property in example b. You are correct. After living there for a full year, you can move out and retain the financing
  • Calvin OzanickBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Janesville, WI · Member since 2017 · 707 posts · 297 votes
    7y

    It looks like a great deal to me. Best of luck as you move forward with it. The benefit of this would be allowing the other tenants to pay for your ownership. Moving forward, you can continue working on it and get your loan paid down. In the future it could be a great cash flowing property while being a perfect buy and hold. 

    Wisconsin Property Managers4.7412 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Bayonne, NJ · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    @James Stevens No worries , thanks for confirming and feedback
  • Rental Property Investor · Bayonne, NJ · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    @Calvin Ozanick Thank you for the insight and encouragement. Much appreciated
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.