Shore up cash in 2019 or get those last 3 properties?

Shore up cash in 2019 or get those last 3 properties?

Rental Property Investor · Wiesbaden, Hesse · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 32 votes

In Jan 2016, I wrote a goal to own 10 REI homes by end of 2018 but I fell a little short of my goal. Currently have 8 cash flowing properties (4-Cleveland,1 Houston, 2 Tampa, 1 Albuquerque). One of these properties in Tampa is owned outright through Traditional SDIRA and all the others are via traditional financing. I am pre approved for a total of 10 traditional SFH homes so I have 3 more available.

I have 3 months Mortgage payment in reserve for all 7 properties for CapX, Vacancy, etc. for a total of $16,553 and each property has its own separate account. I considered upping this up to 6 months for each but thought that the chance of all of them going vacant or having CAP X issues at the same time was slim and I have my investment cash account as backup.

Excluding the Traditional SDIRA property, Seven Properties are cash flowing for a total of $2,008 per month. SDIRA monthly Cash flow: $920 which include PM fees and have sufficient reserves for CAP X, and etc.

I also have a Roth SDIRA which has $50,000 invested in a syndication effort.

Emergency fund: $20,000

Investment Cash: $75,000

I put $500 every 2 weeks into Investment cash and also have my cash flow from the rentals of $2,008 auto transferred to Investment Cash account.

I have 5% of pay going to TSP (retirement) account as my employer matches up to this amount. Other than that all of my residual cash goes to my investment account for REI or other opportunities.

Car Payment: 2.99% @$270 a month Owe $8,000

Live overseas in Germany and have no mortgage or other debt except for car and my REI.

As I first stated my initial goal was to have 10 homes by the end of 2018 and I was close but had a duplex fall through in December.

I am 54, W-2 employee (sole income family), and part of a great family of 4, my youngest is a Senior in HS and my oldest is going to University here in Germany. With that said, I am now considering adjusting my goals for 2019 to below to shore up my cash more instead of continuing with the leverage of 3 more properties (with traditional Loan, 10 is the max) to make my 10 property goal. I would appreciate some thoughts if I am going in the right direction OR if I am missing an opportunity/momentum.

2019 Plan:

  • 1.STOP purchasing homes for 1 year.
  • 2.Possibly Pay off car
  • 3.Setup up systems so that another family member (my 21 y.o. daughter) can manage the Properties Managers and have a clearer idea of what is going on should something happen to me. My wife supports my efforts but wants nothing to do with managing them. All properties are through 4 different PM’s. I have the same ones for each state so 1 for OH, 1 for FL, etc.
  • 4.Keep piling cash up so that I have reserves and as a backstop should/when the economy tanks.
  • 5.Focus on developing a side gig/business in 2019 to increase my income snowball.
  • 6.Research ways in which I can re capture my down payments and closing costs which total $170,000.
  • 7.Go out hunting again in 2020 but keep analyzing deals between now and then and if a REAL good opportunity comes up. Pull the trigger, re adjust and keep trucking. All of these with exception of the Albuquerque property where purchased through TK providers and have had substantial rehab and also have good roofing. None of them are in an LLC but are insured and also covered under a umbrella insurance plan.

Am I missing something?

Thanks and cheers to a Great and Prosperous 2019!

1Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 60 votes
7y

Cash.  Cash All day.  With the market where it is, it would be prudent to get cash now because when rates go higher, prices drop, save now and 2020 go on a shopping spree.  

There was just a recent BD podcast on this.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 60 votes
    7y

    Cash.  Cash All day.  With the market where it is, it would be prudent to get cash now because when rates go higher, prices drop, save now and 2020 go on a shopping spree.  

    There was just a recent BD podcast on this.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wiesbaden, Hesse · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Christopher Lane- Thanks! Do you recall what episode or who it was?

  • Ivan BarrattBusiness Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 764 posts · 953 votes
    7y

    My .02 is don't pay off the car at 2.99% when you can put your hard earned money to work at a higher return.

  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 696 posts · 660 votes
    7y

    @Tim Greenfield I agree with everyone above, @Christopher Lane and @Ivan Barratt .  Stack cash, do not pay off the car (but also never buy another new car,...your driving around in your 9th rental buddy...)   We are still buying but are slowing down  some and putting down larger payments as well as looking to free up cash.  I do not think my market will have much of a decline, but just leveling off and making sellers more reasonable would be nice.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wiesbaden, Hesse · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Richard Sherman- Thanks for the response! With respect to your market, is this Salem?

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Tim Greenfield. Keep cash and consolidate your rentals. Why are you in 4 markets? Consolidate into two at most. Which means sell the ones where you only own one in the market. No economies of scale and managing 4 property managers is not a good use of your time

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

    @Tim Greenfield. Keep cash and consolidate your rentals. Why are you in 4 markets? Consolidate into two at most. Which means sell the ones where you only own one in the market. No economies of scale and managing 4 property managers is not a good use of your time

    I second this one.  

    Sell 1031 exchange into a commercial property 5 or more units and then you get back some of your 10 Traditional loans and put all of your assets into an “easy” to manage property.  

    I originally was going to buy SFR but jumped into commercial level properties and won't ever look back. Only SFR I'll ever own is my own, possibly a vacation home when I'm "retired".

    Good luck.  Your plan is still a solid one. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 696 posts · 660 votes
    7y

    @Tim Greenfield yes, Salem, McMinnville area.  Still commuting distance to Portland and a lot of rent pressure from people being priced out of Portland

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.