Door Knocking Today - Results

Door Knocking Today - Results

Flipper/Rehabber · Mount Juliet, TN · Member since 2014 · 107 posts · 36 votes

Hello All - I spent the day door knocking on pre-forclosures and thought I'd share my results. 

I knocked on 12 doors, talked to 4 owners + 1 Facebook lead. Drove about 110 miles and actually had quite a bit of fun. I left hand written notes on every door/mail-box that didn't answer. Here are some detailed results.  

1. First door knock by myself ever. Nice lady answered the door. Ended up talking for 20 minutes. Her husband has had 4 back surgeries in a row and hasn't been able to work. She was laid off after 20 years in corporate job. She just found another job. She has two kids. One is 14 and the other is under 5. She THANKED ME for knocking on her door! She was very open and said she definitely wants to sell and move. She has already filed bankruptcy and she owes 95k on 1st mortage and 25k on 2nd. ARV aproximately 175k (Zillow - I'll run detailed MLS comps tonight). I left my name and #. She's going to talk to her husband and call me. I asked if it would be okay if I called her in a week if I haven't heard from her by then. She said yes and asked me to be sure to do so.

* I have no idea what to do next! Let's say she talks to her husband and they call me. After I get in the house and do a scope of work/rehab estimate and calculate my magic number, how would I go about making an offer and navigating the deal here? Do I call the banks with them and try to make arrangements? Is the bankruptcy a deal-breaker? Does a closing attorney/title company arrange the deal if we agree on terms? 

2. 2nd Door - Lady answers. Says her Son and Daughter-In Law are owners and won't be home until 5:30 - 6pm. Says they would likely want to talk to me. I circled back at the end of the day and nobody was home. Left hand-written note. 

3. 3rd Door - No answer. Neighbor across the street is out doing yard work. I introduce myself and ask if they know about the house across the street. Neighbor tells me house is empty. Mr. Homeowner passed away and Mrs. Homeowner moved to Kansas. Neighbor says she and other neighbors have been watching to see what happens with the house. I ask if she knows how to get in touch w/ Mrs. Homeowner. She says they are facebook friends. I tell her why I'm there and if she'd be willing to pass my name and # along to Mrs. Homeowner to see if she'd like to discuss preventing the foreclosure. She glady agrees and takes my name and info. I then found Mrs. Homeowner on facebook myself and sent her a PM voice message. (Too much?)

4. No answer - Left Note

5. Man openned door. Told me they just entered an "agreement" and couldn't sell even if they wanted to. He had no interest in taking my info and I didn't push it. 

6. No answer - Left Note

7. No answer - Left Note

8. Pulled up and male was sitting on porch. Homeowner came outside. Introduced myself. Built rapport and explained why I was there. He says he definitely wants to sell. Owes 60K on home. Inherited from parents when they passed away in 2015. Tells me a contractor friend of his is already trying to buy the house but nothing is final. Wants to talk to me more tomorrow. I agreed to call him at noon tomorrow. Then... he asks me if I know of any land for sale in an adjacent county. I tell him I don't but asked if he is familiar with the MLS website to search. He wasn't. I showed him the MLS site on my phone and gave him the web address. He acted like I had just shown him some big secret and made his day. He said "man... I'm gonna sell my house to you. thank you for this". I thanked him and agreed to call him tomorrow. We traded #'s. ARV on house per Zillow is aproximately 210k.

9, 10, 11, and 12. All no answer with notes left. 

In summary - This is definitely not efficient. However, I can definitely see how and why it can work to generate leads on deals. Any suggestions/feedback for me? Thanks everyone!

20Reply
158 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Jason Krawitz -  this is awesome! I used to door knock back in the day and so many people are afraid of it. I'm happy to try to respond to your questions:

1. To me, every home not in foreclosure is a "pre-foreclosure". So I'm assuming these homes are in foreclosure. You need to find out the payoff because they likely owe more than $120k. Let's say it's $130k. If it's worth $175k, you can figure out your next move. The good news is that you're an agent so if it doesn't work as an investment for you, you can list and earn a commission. I'd put it at $165k (quick sale) and you'd still have $20k+ for the owners. Everyone's happy. Than again, the ARV might be $185k and it needs minimal work and you can do a small flip or maybe BRRRR.

3. No, not too much. Just right.

5. Did you ask him about the "agreement" and what it entailed?

8. Did you ask him how much his friend offered? You have a lot of room so find out and if it's not crazy, beat it. The reason you ask is because you don't want to walk in and offer $120k if he friend was offering $90k. 

I disagree with your final assessment. How often do you get 2 good leads and 2 lukewarm contacts in one day? One suggestion is that you handwrite a generic note and make copies - put those on the doors that no one answers. Writing a note each time is time-consuming. Nice work!

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greenville, IL · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    I have yet to start dealing in single family homes yet, however this was a very interesting read and peaked my interest. I'm not sure what your plans are. I don't know if you fix and flip or buy and hold? I'll touch on #1, I'd figure out what I plan to do with the property. I'd take a look at surrounding property values and see where about local homes are selling for. Using that information I'd take a quick guess at how much I'd spend on reno (Because I haven't seen the interior and I just don't know). We would want to make the most money possible so I'd try and figure out how much I could stand to make at different purchase prices. I'd set a maximum and stick to it (while offering less).

    I don't know if this helps at all. It got me thinking though and I appreciate your post! Good luck!

  • Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    You're using "Zestimates" for ARV...? What other methods are you using?

  • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Jason Krawitz -  this is awesome! I used to door knock back in the day and so many people are afraid of it. I'm happy to try to respond to your questions:

    1. To me, every home not in foreclosure is a "pre-foreclosure". So I'm assuming these homes are in foreclosure. You need to find out the payoff because they likely owe more than $120k. Let's say it's $130k. If it's worth $175k, you can figure out your next move. The good news is that you're an agent so if it doesn't work as an investment for you, you can list and earn a commission. I'd put it at $165k (quick sale) and you'd still have $20k+ for the owners. Everyone's happy. Than again, the ARV might be $185k and it needs minimal work and you can do a small flip or maybe BRRRR.

    3. No, not too much. Just right.

    5. Did you ask him about the "agreement" and what it entailed?

    8. Did you ask him how much his friend offered? You have a lot of room so find out and if it's not crazy, beat it. The reason you ask is because you don't want to walk in and offer $120k if he friend was offering $90k. 

    I disagree with your final assessment. How often do you get 2 good leads and 2 lukewarm contacts in one day? One suggestion is that you handwrite a generic note and make copies - put those on the doors that no one answers. Writing a note each time is time-consuming. Nice work!

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 53 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason Krawitz:

    Hello All - I spent the day door knocking on pre-forclosures and thought I'd share my results. 

    I knocked on 12 doors, talked to 4 owners + 1 Facebook lead. Drove about 110 miles and actually had quite a bit of fun. I left hand written notes on every door/mail-box that didn't answer. Here are some detailed results.  

    1. First door knock by myself ever. Nice lady answered the door. Ended up talking for 20 minutes. Her husband has had 4 back surgeries in a row and hasn't been able to work. She was laid off after 20 years in corporate job. She just found another job. She has two kids. One is 14 and the other is under 5. She THANKED ME for knocking on her door! She was very open and said she definitely wants to sell and move. She has already filed bankruptcy and she owes 95k on 1st mortage and 25k on 2nd. ARV aproximately 175k (Zillow - I'll run detailed MLS comps tonight). I left my name and #. She's going to talk to her husband and call me. I asked if it would be okay if I called her in a week if I haven't heard from her by then. She said yes and asked me to be sure to do so.

    I saw a case study on the internet and I'm just regurgitating what I saw in that case study as it was truly fascinating.  I'm no expert - not in any way, shape, or form. 

    Ok, so some investors encountered a situation where a seller was just about fully leveraged on a $500k home ($300k 1st montage + $180k 2nd mortgage).  The guys owed the $180k get $0 if the first lien holder forecloses. 

    So, the investor thought it was a no brainer for them to want to work out a deal. They figured they'd get in for $390k total, put $15k into it (which is all they ultimately put into it) and flip it really quick.  

    The second lien holder said "piss off."  Why? No one knows...  

    Then the investors got really creative. They worked out a scheme (in a legal sense) to essentially take the position of the first lien holder and foreclose on themselves. 

    They got the first bank out of the way, and thanks to a private money investor, Billy Seller now OWED THEM $300k. Then, they had Billy Seller sell the property to a "sister company" subject to the $300k owed.  

    The sister COMPANY promptly defaulted.

    Due to the fact that it was a COMMERCIAL deal, foreclosure was lighting quick - 10 days. 

    They foreclosed while the second lien holder scrambled to save the deal in the 11th hour. No dice. They lost. 

    In the end, they sold the property after putting $15k into it for a $120,000 net profit if I recall correctly. 

    It was the most creative deal I've ever heard of and figured I would share as this deal really opened my eyes to how really creative you can get in this space. 

  • Specialist · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 638 votes
    7y

    @Jason Krawitz Your results seem pretty standard to me. From the looks of it I feel like you may even land yourself a deal here. The first lead seems to be the most promising off the lot. You should offer 70% of the ARV and work up from there. As these are pre-foreclosures you can just buy the house from the owners and then deal with the bank on the mortgage.

    Overall your door knocking campaign seemed like a success to me!

    Good Luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mount Juliet, TN · Member since 2014 · 107 posts · 36 votes
    7y
    Thank you for your insight Stephen! This property could serve as a flip or as rental. The rehab costs and magic # would be different based on which strategy I wanted to approach with this property. If I have a W2, I'd look at this property as more of a rental/BRRR candidate. It's in a hyper growth area and would rent very quickly. If I don't have a W2, I think there could be 25 - 30k in this one as a flip. (maybe - need to see more of the home) I ran real comps with an agent last night and a conservative ARV is actually $198k so there is a little more room here than I originally thought. 

    I need to get inside the property to complete a detailed scope of work. I also need to figure out if the owner is in Chapter 7 or 13 Bankruptcy. I read about the differences last night and It appears chapter 13 is much easier to work with. We'll see! Thanks again. 



    Originally posted by @Stephen Chaney:

    I have yet to start dealing in single family homes yet, however this was a very interesting read and peaked my interest. I'm not sure what your plans are. I don't know if you fix and flip or buy and hold? I'll touch on #1, I'd figure out what I plan to do with the property. I'd take a look at surrounding property values and see where about local homes are selling for. Using that information I'd take a quick guess at how much I'd spend on reno (Because I haven't seen the interior and I just don't know). We would want to make the most money possible so I'd try and figure out how much I could stand to make at different purchase prices. I'd set a maximum and stick to it (while offering less).

    I don't know if this helps at all. It got me thinking though and I appreciate your post! Good luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mount Juliet, TN · Member since 2014 · 107 posts · 36 votes
    7y
    Hi Craig! I also use comps closed within 3 - 6 months built within 5 years of subject and within 100 sq feet of subject. Preferably on the same street with the same floor-plan expanding out as necessary with adjustements made for difference between subject and comps. Zillow is useful none-the-less. 

    Originally posted by @Craig TeRonde:

    You're using "Zestimates" for ARV...? What other methods are you using?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mount Juliet, TN · Member since 2014 · 107 posts · 36 votes
    7y
    Thanks for the encouragement Tchaka! I wish I could go back and ask more questions. I'll do a better job next time. I enjoyed meeting people and was pleasantly suprised how many folks were eager to talk. Fun stuff. Best of luck to you!

    Originally posted by @Tchaka Owen:

    @Jason Krawitz -  this is awesome! I used to door knock back in the day and so many people are afraid of it. I'm happy to try to respond to your questions:

    1. To me, every home not in foreclosure is a "pre-foreclosure". So I'm assuming these homes are in foreclosure. You need to find out the payoff because they likely owe more than $120k. Let's say it's $130k. If it's worth $175k, you can figure out your next move. The good news is that you're an agent so if it doesn't work as an investment for you, you can list and earn a commission. I'd put it at $165k (quick sale) and you'd still have $20k+ for the owners. Everyone's happy. Than again, the ARV might be $185k and it needs minimal work and you can do a small flip or maybe BRRRR.

    3. No, not too much. Just right.

    5. Did you ask him about the "agreement" and what it entailed?

    8. Did you ask him how much his friend offered? You have a lot of room so find out and if it's not crazy, beat it. The reason you ask is because you don't want to walk in and offer $120k if he friend was offering $90k. 

    I disagree with your final assessment. How often do you get 2 good leads and 2 lukewarm contacts in one day? One suggestion is that you handwrite a generic note and make copies - put those on the doors that no one answers. Writing a note each time is time-consuming. Nice work!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mount Juliet, TN · Member since 2014 · 107 posts · 36 votes
    7y
    Wow. I'm constantly impressed with how creative folks are in structuring their deals. One of my mentors just bought a property on a corner lot, was able to get the seller to do whatever work is required to sub-divide the lot before the closing (outside my scope of knowledge today), paid $150k for the vacant lot and $50k for the lot with the house on it. He plans to build on the vacant lot and show minimal income upon the sale (because of the inflated property price) then BRRRR the $50k property within his self-directed IRA/401k. Makes my head spin a bit but the creativity is awesome. 

    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Jason Krawitz:

    Hello All - I spent the day door knocking on pre-forclosures and thought I'd share my results. 

    I knocked on 12 doors, talked to 4 owners + 1 Facebook lead. Drove about 110 miles and actually had quite a bit of fun. I left hand written notes on every door/mail-box that didn't answer. Here are some detailed results.  

    1. First door knock by myself ever. Nice lady answered the door. Ended up talking for 20 minutes. Her husband has had 4 back surgeries in a row and hasn't been able to work. She was laid off after 20 years in corporate job. She just found another job. She has two kids. One is 14 and the other is under 5. She THANKED ME for knocking on her door! She was very open and said she definitely wants to sell and move. She has already filed bankruptcy and she owes 95k on 1st mortage and 25k on 2nd. ARV aproximately 175k (Zillow - I'll run detailed MLS comps tonight). I left my name and #. She's going to talk to her husband and call me. I asked if it would be okay if I called her in a week if I haven't heard from her by then. She said yes and asked me to be sure to do so.

    I saw a case study on the internet and I'm just regurgitating what I saw in that case study as it was truly fascinating.  I'm no expert - not in any way, shape, or form. 

    Ok, so some investors encountered a situation where a seller was just about fully leveraged on a $500k home ($300k 1st montage + $180k 2nd mortgage).  The guys owed the $180k get $0 if the first lien holder forecloses. 

    So, the investor thought it was a no brainer for them to want to work out a deal. They figured they'd get in for $390k total, put $15k into it (which is all they ultimately put into it) and flip it really quick.  

    The second lien holder said "piss off."  Why? No one knows...  

    Then the investors got really creative. They worked out a scheme (in a legal sense) to essentially take the position of the first lien holder and foreclose on themselves. 

    They got the first bank out of the way, and thanks to a private money investor, Billy Seller now OWED THEM $300k. Then, they had Billy Seller sell the property to a "sister company" subject to the $300k owed.  

    The sister COMPANY promptly defaulted.

    Due to the fact that it was a COMMERCIAL deal, foreclosure was lighting quick - 10 days. 

    They foreclosed while the second lien holder scrambled to save the deal in the 11th hour. No dice. They lost. 

    In the end, they sold the property after putting $15k into it for a $120,000 net profit if I recall correctly. 

    It was the most creative deal I've ever heard of and figured I would share as this deal really opened my eyes to how really creative you can get in this space. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mount Juliet, TN · Member since 2014 · 107 posts · 36 votes
    7y
    Thanks Ehsan!

    Originally posted by @Ehsan Rishat:

    @Jason Krawitz Your results seem pretty standard to me. From the looks of it I feel like you may even land yourself a deal here. The first lead seems to be the most promising off the lot. You should offer 70% of the ARV and work up from there. As these are pre-foreclosures you can just buy the house from the owners and then deal with the bank on the mortgage.

    Overall your door knocking campaign seemed like a success to me!

    Good Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Jason Krawitz. That’s a lot better then I would expect honestly. Thanks for the cool post !

  • Real Estate Broker · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2018 · 269 posts · 597 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed Sounds like a nice tale to me. Paying off the first mortgage and recording a brand new one to a new entity would put what WAS the second into first position. The new $300k lien would be the second.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    you have a tremendous advantage using this method and probably don’t realize it . Back in the day all deals were done like this but then a guy named al gore invented the internet and it changed communication forever ! The truth is most people will not go door to door exchanging pleasantries and building rapport like this to learn the problem so they can creatively solve it . Most investors are much lazier than this . They will mail out 857,500 yellow fliers before they’ll knock on one door or they put bandit signs on every pole also They’ll cold call and get no where . One thing hasn’t changed and that is your still dealing with human beings with emotions and meeting with them to solve the problem is the key to closing sales . In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if nobody in your area is doing this and I also wouldn’t be surpassed if you score some great deals if you are persistent at this

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 499 posts · 167 votes
    7y

    Your report reminds me of how i used cold calling (phone) to establish businesses. I am now writing letters to out of state multifamily owners but am lazy about it. It's tedious. Door knocking seems more fun. Also I found ways to research certain types of houses on the tax assessor site. They have really complete data. It's great since there is a photo of the house as well as ownership history info. I'm looking for older ranch style homes ... the weather is not right for outside work right now. thanks for your fascinating report.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 53 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jeff C.:

    @Account Closed Sounds like a nice tale to me. Paying off the first mortgage and recording a brand new one to a new entity would put what WAS the second into first position. The new $300k lien would be the second.

    I believe you may be right.  

    They did go the extra mile to explain that the type of financing done on the first mortgage was a rate and term refi which wouldn't change the effective date of the lien being filed.  

    I'm "oversimplifying" but the way they presented it was akin to them taking over the 1st bank, putting in new staff, and changing the name and logo.  All underlying debt and / or assets remain the same.  

    Again, I'm oversimplifying but that's the general "gist" of what they explained.  

    That said, as I re-examined the piece of content I notice they said they got 6 lawyers involved.  They kept hammering away at that number and I have begun to deduce the following...

    1. Saying it required 6 lawyers until they were blue in the face immediately places psychological barriers in the way of even EXPERIENCED guys who may be interested in giving it a go. Therefore, it's 100% likely no newbie who's spent $1,000 - $3,000 on their guru stuff will give this a shot.
    2. Who in their right mind would hire 6 lawyers on an expedition into the unknown on a property where the owner was leveraged to the hilt?  How much did these 6 lawyers cost? 
    3. I was mesmerized / intoxicated - they got me "high" on this story.  After doing more research and having my wife laugh at me for believing it, I sobered up.  What they did was truly brilliant.  However, the brilliance does not lie in the deal (if its real), it lies in the fact that this story is a drug. It's going to get newbies high enough to fork over $1,000 - $3,000 for courses that train them on how to drive for dollars.  
  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Jason Krawitz

    Kudos to you sir. I hope you get a deal out of it. Me personally, I would never do that. My luck I’d find the angry guy who got screwed over and is pissed he’s losing his house, holding a shotgun at me while telling me his story. No deal to me is worth invading someone’s space and embarrassing them reminding them they are losing their home.

  • Real Estate Broker · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2018 · 269 posts · 597 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed The more you tell me the more nonsensical it sounds. 

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Jason Krawitz I just wanted to say, wow!! This definitely isn’t something easy to do AT ALL!! Huge kudos to you. It does seem like a great way to get properties at an incredible deal, even with the work involved. May I ask what you’re wanting to do? Wholesale? Buy and hold? Flip? Would love to know more.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    You’re hungry @Jason Krawitz keep pushing.

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Wow, that seems ethically (or karmically) sketchy, but I have to give them a two-clap for ingenuity on that one! Thanks for sharing, Jay.

    Jason, kudos! Could you share the general pitch script you used when they answered the door? I wouldn't mind trying this out myself.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    @Jason Krawitz thanks for sharing and I for one encourage you to keep it up. You're doing something that most people won't and your customers will reward you for that. Lets remember that wholesalers are dealing with real people with real problems and if you approach it as a compassionate person presenting a win win solution you will get your contracts AND earn a solid reputation for yourself (which let's be honest more wholesalers need).

    Lastly what you did with this post is build accountability to yourself, KEEP IT UP!

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    About 10 years ago we used to have a team of 5 people that would go out for about 3-4 hours per night every single night.  It was easily the best lead source I have ever seen in this business.

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Jason Krawitz

    This is the most interesting post I have seen on this website in probably a year and i can't believe I will say this, but I'm going to follow it and see what happens...good job man...

    You are already light years beyond 90% of the people on this website!!

  • Great Falls, MT · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 27 votes
    7y

    I agree with @Mark Fries, super interesting post. Thank you for sharing your experience @Jason Krawitz. I've never tried door knocking but I feel now may be a good time. How do you start out your conversation when someone answers? Literally, what do you say? I know I should come up with some sort of script to loosely follow so as to avoid sounding like a robot.

    Thanks, 

    Nick 

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 170 posts · 242 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Cagle

    I got the impression that the investor purchased the 1st note, (“took control”) , screwed the seller and second lien holder by convincing the seller to sell sub-2, then intentionally defaulting and foreclosing to eliminate 2nd.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.