FHA.. or bust? A quick overview of pros and cons..

FHA.. or bust? A quick overview of pros and cons..

Graham NadlerBusiness Member
Lender · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 28 votes

I see a lot of discussion on utilizing FHA mortgage loans for a first "house hack" owner occupied property (1-4 units).

There are certainly benefits of an FHA mortgage. They can be more relaxed on negative credit circumstances, mortgage insurance can be cheaper when compared with conventional products, your interest rate can sometimes be better, and there is the fabled 3.5% minimum down payment.

However there are certainly sides of FHA that aren't always quite as favorable to the borrower. I find that people don't always know about these details of an FHA loan. FHA Mortgage insurance cannot be cancelled once you reach 20% equity in your property like it is with conventional private mortgage insurance (PMI). That means you have mortgage insurance for the life of the loan (often 30 years of an extra cost with your monthly payment) unless you sell or refinance. The appraisals are harder to pass without additional repairs (E.g. can't have peeling paint) when compared to conventional. There is also an additional 1.75 points (1.75% of the purchase price) financed into the loan that is an extra cost for a mortgage insurance premium. So they are generally more expensive than conventional products.

I am not saying I don't think FHA loans can be good. They can be a good fit depending on someone's situation. It can be an awesome way of getting into a 1-4 unit property with very little down. What I am saying is when shopping for a loan for an owner occupied property there are often other options available to you besides FHA. Options that could potentially be better depending on your situation and goals. I would encourage you to talk with a couple different lenders in your area to see what is available to you wherever your market is. In my local market there are numerous 3% down conventional products for single family, 5% down conventional products for duplex, down payment assistance on more than 1 unit properties, tax credits, all kinds of programs that have other ways to benefit owner occupant buyers. Your low down payment options do dwindle once you go over 2 units with conventional products. My point is that wherever your market is, there are probably loan products that you may not have know existed as many can be tailored to the area you live in. Do your due diligence when picking a mortgage loan that is best for you as you have many more options available to you as an owner occupant shopper.

Let me know your thoughts!

3Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Dominic Balconi:

I am a mortgage lender and the primary loan program I use for investors is FHA. FHA 203k loans are typically what investors are best suited for, as most look for a distressed property that they can put some money for repairs into to not only build instant equity, but to be have a wider variety of properties that they can look at.

I am not a mortgage lender, but I know that both the FHA and 203k loans are for owner-occupants only. Investors (non owner occupants) are excluded from these loans.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    Thank you very much for this post Graham! Was not aware of having to pay PMI for the whole life of the FHA loan, that is great to know for future reference. My question is are there conventional loans similar to FHA loans for 1-4 units as long as they are owner occupied? I'm guessing if one does their Due diligence properly such loans can be found just wanted your input.

    Thanks again!

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    I am a mortgage lender and the primary loan program I use for investors is FHA. FHA 203k loans are typically what investors are best suited for, as most look for a distressed property that they can put some money for repairs into to not only build instant equity, but to be have a wider variety of properties that they can look at.

    You do have a good point about mortgage insurance though, which is why my company, I'm not about others, offer a product called HomeStyle which is a conventional product. This is similar to an FHA 203k loan, but there is no mortgage insurance, but it does not work for multi unit. For a single unit, the down payment can be as low as 3%, but goes up to 15% for 2 units and 25% for 3-4 units.

    Depending on what you are looking for, particularly a house hack, meaning multi-unit, FHA is literally the only option, assuming you want to avoid the risk involved in Hard Money.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dominic Balconi:

    I am a mortgage lender and the primary loan program I use for investors is FHA. FHA 203k loans are typically what investors are best suited for, as most look for a distressed property that they can put some money for repairs into to not only build instant equity, but to be have a wider variety of properties that they can look at.

    I am not a mortgage lender, but I know that both the FHA and 203k loans are for owner-occupants only. Investors (non owner occupants) are excluded from these loans.

  • Graham NadlerBusiness Member
    OP
    Lender · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Dominic Balconi I work with investors/house hackers who buy more rent ready properties, I guess it depends on the client needs. 203K can be a great way to do a renovation for owner occupants. In Ohio there is a program called HomePossible by Freddie Mac that allows for 5% down on a duplex if you qualify. We did one the other day! Other than that you are right about increased down payment amounts for more than 3-4 units if you don't go FHA.

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    Yeah HomePossible and HomeStlye/HomeAdvantage are all pretty much the same thing. I assume the Home Possible is 5% only for owner occupant though. I believe we have the same program. All Investor programs that are not owner occupant will be 15-25% down payments.

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Max T. Yes, anything FHA by definition must be owner occupied. Any low down payment programs that you find either 3%, 3.5% or 5% will definitely require an owner occupant. If you are not willing to live in a unit for 6-12 months at a minimum, you'll have to do 15%, maybe 10% if you can find that program, but I'm not aware of any that exist for than little down.

  • Graham NadlerBusiness Member
    OP
    Lender · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Dominic Balconi yes this post is only on owner occupied "house hacks".  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.