First deal - Line of credit options for DP

First deal - Line of credit options for DP

Contractor · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Hey guys!

I'm new here but would love some input. I'm working on an offer on a duplex, which will be my first deal in southwest Ohio (north of cincinnati), and I'm working through options for a down payment. I only have about $4k cash at the moment, and need about $30k. Does anyone have recommendations or contacts of lenders that could help with a personal line of credit? I own my house by got an FHA so I don't have a ton of cash to pull out of it, or else I would do a HELOC.

Would love some feedback, advice or recommendations.

Thanks!

Tyler

0Reply
15 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Hey @Richard T Himes

    Welcome to BP! 

    A Personal line is going to be costly and from my experience the terms are much shorter than something secured by real estate or other collateral.

    What part of SW Ohio are you buying in? Do you have a 401k that you could borrow against?

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 361 posts · 394 votes
    7y

    I see a few problems with what you're asking about doing:

    • If most of your down payment comes from a line of credit, then this will likely throw off your DTI ratio. You may want to talk to a lender about that.
    • As @Kyle Rountree mentioned, an unsecured LOC will typically be quite expensive.
    • You will not have any cash reserves. The lender will want to see 6 - 12 months of cash reserves (which you definitely need, in case any CapEx repairs come up, or you go through an eviction, etc...).

    I would recommend you try to find a passive partner who is willing to finance the deal in exchange for equity (say 50%). Half of a deal is better then no deal at all.

  • Contractor · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Kyle Rountree I figured that a LOC would come with a higher price tag. I'm just trying to explore some options. I'm actually in Hamilton (between cincy and dayton) near Miami University! Are you close?

    @Kris Wong you bring up some legitimate concerns!  Thanks for your input, it's definitely something I need to consider.  Just getting eager and impatient to make a deal; don't want to wait a year to save up for the DP! lol

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Yep! I'm pretty close. My office is out of Fairfield. Smaller banks/credit unions will most likely have the most favorable terms if that's what you go with. 

    @Kris Wong

    @Kris Wong has a great idea too with finding an investor partner. If you find the deal the money always comes!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.