Why Did You Get Into REI?

Why Did You Get Into REI?

Real Estate Agent 路 Tampa Florida 路 Member since 2019 路 23 posts 路 34 votes

When you decided to get into REI what was your why (your drive) to get into the business and succeed?

Personally, my why is to past my knowledge on to others, specifically, those less fortunate and unsure of where they will go in life. I want to be able to give young adults the prospect of another path that they can go on as adults.

If you're just staring out, if you're a seasoned veteran or if you've lost sight of your why and need a refresher. Discuss what your why is because it will encourage me and hopefully others too <3

10Reply
212 views

Most Popular Reply

Guy with Great Hair 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2013 路 2k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
7y

I was broke, working a job I hated, with a tyrant of a boss, had few life skills, a bunch of debt, and no end in sight. 

Then I realized real estate (when purchased at a discount) can create equity, be rented for high cash flow, and comes with good tax deductions. I run the portfolio passively and it's simple enough for an idiot like me to retire off of in just a few years. 

See this reply in the discussion

67 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender 路 Philadelphia, PA 路 Member since 2016 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    7y

    Money

  • Rental Property Investor 路 New Castle, DE 路 Member since 2016 路 376 posts 路 158 votes
    7y

    @Nicholas Munford ... I think a lot of BP members can relate, but may not admit it.  Our parents helped to shape us as the individuals we are today.  People we've picked up and dropped off have as well.  Most of us strive to do better, but lack of action is what kills the dream.  My parents talked to me as I got older about their finances and I've tried to apply those lessons that they learned.  I'm woke to the struggle and won't ever be able to close my eyes to it.  Success is ours for the taking, IF we're willing to do the work!

    Blessings in abundance to us all ... Cassandra :)

  • Rental Property Investor 路 New Castle, DE 路 Member since 2016 路 376 posts 路 158 votes
    7y

    @Yosselyn De Abreu ... GIT IT GURL!!!!  My why is similar to yours.  We gotta show our kids so they know they can do it too!  

    Well wishes ... Cassandra

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Nashville, TN 路 Member since 2015 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    7y

    I just did not want to be average

    Rich dad's best advice to the average investor: Don't be average!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Beavercreek OH 路 Member since 2018 路 422 posts 路 970 votes
    7y

    Saw one too many slumlords operating in the city where I work.  Leaky faucets, no closet doors, broken windows, pipes fixed with duct tape, etc.  No dignity for those tenants.

    Felt I could do better.  Nicer properties, nicer renovations, quick service calls and treat tenants with respect.  Make my city nicer overall.  Maybe set myself up for a comfortable retirement.

    100+ units later it's been a total win - win situation for me and my tenants. 

  • Murfreesboro, TN 路 Member since 2019 路 63 posts 路 26 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Cassandra Sifford:

    @Yosselyn De Abreu ... GIT IT GURL!!!!  My why is similar to yours.  We gotta show our kids so they know they can do it too!  

    Well wishes ... Cassandra

     That's my big reason too is my son. That's why I'm open to network with investors all over the south. I have goals for myself, and I want to show my son that if you work hard and put fear to the side you can be a very successful entrepreneur. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Cleveland, OH 路 Member since 2013 路 85 posts 路 146 votes
    7y

    Similar to @Frank Wong it would have been disrespectful to my family to be a loser in life. My parents and grandparents are immigrants from Eastern Europe. I was lucky enough to be born in the States, but I have deep rooted "old world" values and an immigrant mentality. 

    Real Estate is just one more stream of income for me to be able to free myself from the dreaded W2 meat puppet world. 

    My ultimate goal is to be able to have the time to do what I want, when I want. This involves traveling, philanthropy, and giving back to my community by teaching young people about finance and investing. 

  • Investor 路 Milwaukee, WI 路 Member since 2013 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    7y

    For me I just sort of ended up here, yet now that I'm here, it's like the path was already laid out - I can't explain that stuff.

    I love houses. I built a new fort every year as a kid. Tear down the old, drag the material across the neighborhood, scrounge some new pieces, tick-off my dad for losing his tools, build a new one somewhere else, do it again the next year. I look at houses and see the greatest engineering/art project man has ever taken on, the most designed and redesigned thing ever, while other people see walls and paint...and money.

    The business side of it is just business. OMG people, this is not the best investment ever, by a looooong shot. The guy who thought of the $3 plastic drain snake that you stick down the drain and pull out all the hair, only to lose the snake and have to buy another one next time? Thinking of that is how to really make money with no money. But, on the other hand, properties are little money machines, so it's not exactly the worst idea ever either. The reason it is so easy for so many people, is simply because so many people are familiar with what it is.

    Smartest peeps in the room are the folks who created BP - just sayin'

    I just love it. All of it. The biggest surprise for me is how much I love the people part of it, and there is no doubt this is a people business. I can live without the IRS part of it.

    This might be my favorite thread ever. Just fantastic to read all the responses.

  • Greensboro, NC 路 Member since 2017 路 13 posts 路 6 votes
    7y

    When it comes to any endeavors that one pursue or plan to commit themselves for the long-term, this question of "why" you do it is very important.

    There is no right or wrong with the response to the question, but rather it is measure based on the authenticity and realness with yourself. I started into real estate investing for a variety of reasons but the reasons evolved as I become older. Initially, it was to make sure I will never become homeless and learn how to buy houses at any given real estate market of my choice. 

    Now, the reason that keeps me going even days when I don't want to do it is to give people hope that you can become someone and provide a role model and platform for the next generation to follow. In the end, I hope my choices and decisions I made in my career will provide someone to change their life.

  • Pearl City, HI 路 Member since 2016 路 15 posts 路 21 votes
    7y

    @Amelia Posely and @Cassandra Sifford thanks ladies. We got this 馃挭馃徑

  • Murfreesboro, TN 路 Member since 2019 路 63 posts 路 26 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Yosselyn De Abreu:

    @Amelia Posely and @Cassandra Sifford thanks ladies. We got this 馃挭馃徑

     You're so welcome!! We're just single moms giving our kids a better life and doing it by being and successful entrepreneurs. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 New Castle, DE 路 Member since 2016 路 376 posts 路 158 votes
    7y

    @Yosselyn De Abreu and @Amelia Posely ... We are destined for greatness ladies!  Glad we all can connect on such a GREAT platform of like minded individuals. 

  • Murfreesboro, TN 路 Member since 2019 路 63 posts 路 26 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Cassandra Sifford:

    @Yosselyn De Abreu and @Amelia Posely ... We are destined for greatness ladies!  Glad we all can connect on such a GREAT platform of like minded individuals. 

     I know right!!! That's such a blessing. 

  • Pearl City, HI 路 Member since 2016 路 15 posts 路 21 votes
    7y

    @Amelia Posely and @Cassandra Sifford I'm thankful for your post! It made me reconnect with my why and helped me connect with you wonderful mamas. If ya'll ever need an excuse to come to Hawaii, I live here lol and would love to meet in person :) 

    Best of luck ladies and I'm sure I'll see you at the top 

  • Murfreesboro, TN 路 Member since 2019 路 63 posts 路 26 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Yosselyn De Abreu:

    @Amelia Posely and @Cassandra Sifford I'm thankful for your post! It made me reconnect with my why and helped me connect with you wonderful mamas. If ya'll ever need an excuse to come to Hawaii, I live here lol and would love to meet in person :) 

    Best of luck ladies and I'm sure I'll see you at the top 

     That is place that's on my list to come to and go to the dole plantation to eat some pineapples lol. We should exchange contact information. It's great to connect with women who want more to life.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 New Castle, DE 路 Member since 2016 路 376 posts 路 158 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Yosselyn De Abreu:

    @Amelia Posely and @Cassandra Sifford I'm thankful for your post! It made me reconnect with my why and helped me connect with you wonderful mamas. If ya'll ever need an excuse to come to Hawaii, I live here lol and would love to meet in person :) 

    Best of luck ladies and I'm sure I'll see you at the top 

     Sounds like a plan as Hawaii is on my list as well LOL That Guy Fieri had me when he visited that food truck on the beach LOL  We'll have to plan a girls trip and come out to visit :)

  • Murfreesboro, TN 路 Member since 2019 路 63 posts 路 26 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Cassandra Sifford:
    Originally posted by @Yosselyn De Abreu:

    @Amelia Posely and @Cassandra Sifford I'm thankful for your post! It made me reconnect with my why and helped me connect with you wonderful mamas. If ya'll ever need an excuse to come to Hawaii, I live here lol and would love to meet in person :) 

    Best of luck ladies and I'm sure I'll see you at the top 

     Sounds like a plan as Hawaii is on my list as well LOL That Guy Fieri had me when he visited that food truck on the beach LOL  We'll have to plan a girls trip and come out to visit :)

     Sounds like a plan.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.