So what's holding you back?

So what's holding you back?

Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

When I help new investors with buying their first property I often want to know what is holding them back from pulling the trigger.

So I'll ask here. What is holding you back?

453Reply
34,245 views

Most Popular Reply

Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 409 votes
7y

Having just recently bought my first property, I know for myself what was holding me back was the fear that I would overpay, especially in this type of a market. I would get analysis paralysis and basically talk myself out of every property I looked at.

See this reply in the discussion

3705 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Michael Tempel:

    @Frank Patalano

    Capital and time :-). Otherwise I am going full steam ahead.

    Are you bringing a lot of experience to the table?

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Devon Cornwall:

    @Frank Patalano

    I feel intimidated by the things I feel I don't know or understand fully. Some of the financing stuff is fuzzy. Like hardcore out of focus. I wish I could see some of the contracts that people use for private lending.

    I have a meeting with a REI friendly lawyer on Thursday next week.

    Some private mortgages are probably recorded at the county recorder of deeds. It's a good idea to meet with a lawyer. Your local REIA probably has a few lenders in it as well.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Rohit Verma:

    Whats holding me back is my lack of "boots on ground" network here in Longmont, Colorado.

    All my properties are SFR class A type, so almost no maintenance in last 2 years (leaking vacuum breaker for sprinklers is the only little task I can think of). Also, I have First American home insurance and they say they will cover if there was anything in the house (electrical, plumbing, appliances etc) that breaks. Thankfully, I have never had to use them so far, but its just piece of mind.

    What I need ground staff for:

    Mainly showings to potential tenant if there was a vacancy. I only do month to month leases, offer less than market rents and that ways my vacancies are really low and I stay in _control_. Tenants know they have to fall in line or their nuisance will be dealt with very swiftly. Dont want to pay property manager first months rent and tenant finding fee every time there is a turnover.

    Problem Im trying to solve:

    Have somebody who is local and open to doing a side gig. I dont mind paying someone 100 dollars/month just to be on standby even if there is zero work. Work is only when showing needs to happen and for that Im happy to pay 25 dollars per hour on top of standby fee of 100/month, once the tenant moves in they again go back to zero work and get paid 100 a month. Ideal for teenagers, single mothers etc looking to make extra cash. But reliability has been a big issue so far.

    Other thing I have done is tried to recruit people from rover.com (pet sitting service). My thought was well these people have time and resource (mainly a vehicle) and they are looking to get paid, so will they really care if I need them to feed or walk my dog or have them actually show the property to a potential tenant. I have have had some success there but reliability has been a big issue.

    Startup idea:

    1) Airbnb chewing up hotel industry  (anybody gets to be part time hotelier)

    2) Uber/Lyft chewing up taxi services (anybody gets to be part time driver)

    3) Rover chewing up kennel services (anybody gets to be part time pet sitter)

    4) Ebay/Amazon chewing up brick and mortar retailers (anybody gets to be a part time retailer)

    I need a platform where I can find part time property managers and by that I mean somebody who can show the property around. All other aspect of property management I feel I have automated except for showing the property. I have used neighbor's teenage kids, my already existing tenants from other properties etc in past and that has worked but Im looking for a more professional solution to this. I hate having to explain people on Rover that I have actually got no pets. I understand that with this model reliability will still be an issue but what Im hoping we could solve that problem by flooding the platform with loads of other part-time property managers. The sort of thing I do when my Uber driver does not show up, I simply raise another request on Lyft. If the driver from Uber shows up good or I go with the Lyft driver, point is my options stay open, I can throw a stone with blind folds on knowing it would hit a bird.

    So thats what stopping me :-)

    I have one of my contractors doing that in my local market. For you, my main idea is to find some through the local REIA. Find a young and hungry agent who is not a property manager. Could be a full time agent. Many are trustworthy and could use a little income to supplement their sales.

    I have another idea but can't mention it on the public forums.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Adam McCarthy:

    We live around some smaller cities (20-30k) with many old properties. The ones in our ballpark seem to be very old (1890-1920) and need more updating and remodeling than would be reasonable to BRRRR even if we got the property for a very low cost. Waiting for the right deal to come along which is hard in this market. We have a HELOC set up and already have one rental that was my home before my wife and I got married. But the first property we purchase solely as a rental has been tough to come by.

     I smiled when I read your email because most of the properties in my market are of similar age and many of my friends have been BRRRRing them just fine. 

    The market is hot everywhere. In order to find a deal you will need to look off market and keep hustling everyday.

    Set some hard goals to look at so many properties every week and make so many offers every week. 

    It'll be tough but maybe your expectations are too high. Maybe you are waiting for too much of a  perfect deal.

    Every 3 family (triplex) that I own is at least 100 years old.

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    What is holding me back?

    My husband and I are interested in starting out buying a stabilized MF property in Philadelphia or the near suburbs (Montgomery, Chester, Bucks Counties). We (my husband and I) have investable cash of $500,000. Long term, we would plan to grow our portfolio to generate a long term minimum cash flow of 300,000 so I can manage a business full time.

    We have looked and there is very little in the market except class D in that price range.

    That’s what is holding me back.

    We look at brokers’ packages. I would prefer to be on the inside of a quiet sale or know that a property is coming to market....that is where I think we can find deals since I can execute quickly.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Amara Briggs:

    What is holding me back?

    My husband and I are interested in starting out buying a stabilized MF property in Philadelphia or the near suburbs (Montgomery, Chester, Bucks Counties). We (my husband and I) have investable cash of $500,000. Long term, we would plan to grow our portfolio to generate a long term minimum cash flow of 300,000 so I can manage a business full time.

    We have looked and there is very little in the market except class D in that price range.

    That’s what is holding me back.

    We look at brokers’ packages. I would prefer to be on the inside of a quiet sale or know that a property is coming to market....that is where I think we can find deals since I can execute quickly.

     Sounds like you are going to have to keep networking with brokers until you get to the point where they remember you for the next off market opportunity. Take one or two out to dinner. Show them that you are serious. If you have $500K cash you might consider buying into a crowdfunded or syndicated deal out of the area. 

  • Contractor · Billings MT · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    Money, thanks to BiggerPockets though I’m finding creative ways around that

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Albaugh:

    @Frank Patalano

    Money, thanks to BiggerPockets though I’m finding creative ways around that

     There you go. You're learning. If it is a good enough deal and you are willing to partner, money won't hold you back.

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks, Frank! Good idea! 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Amara Briggs:

    Thanks, Frank! Good idea! 

     No problem. I've done it before. Brokers need to be your new friends. I never haggle on their commission either. They are worth their weight in gold.

  • Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Frank Patalano I have no connections and it’s nearly impossible to attend real estate clubs with my current work schedule. I would like to at least have that one person I can call up whenever I have a question about something. Also, I live in the Los Angeles area and prices are very high so I have no idea how to even get my feet wet. I’m able to save aside a lot of money though due to the fact that I’m a truck driver and therefore live in my truck and don’t have to pay rent or any other usual expense associated with cost of living. I’m just continually researching ways to invest that money though instead of just letting it sit there as it has for sometime now.

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    Not educated enough YET. Studying everyday.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    I am only 16, but I am really interested in real estate and real estate investment.  My age is more of a mental holdback for me.  How do I even get started?

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Kris L.

    Maybe focus on Wholesaling in the meantime.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Juan Santos:

    @Frank Patalano I have no connections and it’s nearly impossible to attend real estate clubs with my current work schedule. I would like to at least have that one person I can call up whenever I have a question about something. Also, I live in the Los Angeles area and prices are very high so I have no idea how to even get my feet wet. I’m able to save aside a lot of money though due to the fact that I’m a truck driver and therefore live in my truck and don’t have to pay rent or any other usual expense associated with cost of living. I’m just continually researching ways to invest that money though instead of just letting it sit there as it has for sometime now.

     I don't know your schedule but you need to figure out a way to at least sit with a mentor once a month. Or perhaps you can set up a weekly phone call with like minded people as you are driving.

    Sounds like you are learning through podcasts and websites.

    If nothing else you should look into Crowdfunding. Some websites will offer real estate opportunities where a crowd of online investors would fund a property together and someone would manage the entire operation.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Adrienne Donner:

    @Frank Patalano

    Not educated enough YET. Studying everyday.

     Nothing wrong with that. Education is very important. Make sure that you stick to those goals. Add in some networking as well. It will educate you in ways that the books can't.

  • Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Juan Santos:

    @Frank Patalano I have no connections and it’s nearly impossible to attend real estate clubs with my current work schedule. I would like to at least have that one person I can call up whenever I have a question about something. Also, I live in the Los Angeles area and prices are very high so I have no idea how to even get my feet wet. I’m able to save aside a lot of money though due to the fact that I’m a truck driver and therefore live in my truck and don’t have to pay rent or any other usual expense associated with cost of living. I’m just continually researching ways to invest that money though instead of just letting it sit there as it has for sometime now.

     I don't know your schedule but you need to figure out a way to at least sit with a mentor once a month. Or perhaps you can set up a weekly phone call with like minded people as you are driving.

    Sounds like you are learning through podcasts and websites.

    If nothing else you should look into Crowdfunding. Some websites will offer real estate opportunities where a crowd of online investors would fund a property together and someone would manage the entire operation.

    Much easier said than done (obviously). How exactly to find a mentor who is willing to sit down with me once a month and not charge me $900 for their time? Let alone find someone willing to talk on the phone with me throughout the week? And yes I have looked. I shall keep looking I suppose.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Paul Gray Ruff:

    I am only 16, but I am really interested in real estate and real estate investment.  My age is more of a mental holdback for me.  How do I even get started?

     We've had about 3- 16 year olds ask that question as of late.

    You could ask your local re clubs if they will let you join. Some might say no. Maybe you can help them set up before the meetings.

    You could start your own youth investment club and bring in your own speakers.

    You could have a stock account with your parents and buy REITs.

    You could set up an account and with your parents invest in a crowdfund property.

    You could get paid to pass out promo door hangers for an investor. They may give you a referral on the profit.

    You could continue your Education.

    You could start building a brand on Instagram and podcast interview experts.

    Keep me in the loop on what you decide to do. I have a background in education. My 3 kids are all investing in stocks but my oldest just hit middle school. She will be in real estate before 18 no matter what.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Adrienne Donner:

    @Kris L.

    Maybe focus on Wholesaling in the meantime.

     Wholesaling is time consuming but it can be profitable. It takes a lot of knowledge but little money to do well.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Juan Santos:
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Juan Santos:

    @Frank Patalano I have no connections and it’s nearly impossible to attend real estate clubs with my current work schedule. I would like to at least have that one person I can call up whenever I have a question about something. Also, I live in the Los Angeles area and prices are very high so I have no idea how to even get my feet wet. I’m able to save aside a lot of money though due to the fact that I’m a truck driver and therefore live in my truck and don’t have to pay rent or any other usual expense associated with cost of living. I’m just continually researching ways to invest that money though instead of just letting it sit there as it has for sometime now.

     I don't know your schedule but you need to figure out a way to at least sit with a mentor once a month. Or perhaps you can set up a weekly phone call with like minded people as you are driving.

    Sounds like you are learning through podcasts and websites.

     If nothing else you should look into Crowdfunding. Some websites will offer real estate opportunities where a crowd of online investors would fund a property together and someone would manage the entire operation.

    Much easier said than done (obviously). How exactly to find a mentor who is willing to sit down with me once a month and not charge me $900 for their time? Let alone find someone willing to talk on the phone with me throughout the week? And yes I have looked. I shall keep looking I suppose.

     I know mentors that charge $75 an hour. They are speaking to you once a month.

    When I said the weekly phone calls, I was talking about getting together a free weekly mastermind group. You get together with 3 or 4 other people and chat once a week. If you can't find any friends to do it, offer it up here on bigger pockets. Make a post about setting up a digital mastermind group. I talk to people around the country every week. Keep networking via the phone if you have to.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    Getting a true motivated seller on the phone or direct mail to sell. It's honestly not easy like some act like it is.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bay Area California · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    1) fear of making a bad decision like I don’t know enough.

    2) fear that I will be taken advantage of because I don’t know enough (whatever that means).

  • Yogesh BhadanePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fairfield, CA · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano for me it’s the people who I would like to work with. I still feel the deals are out there. Especially OOS I would like to build relationship first, that’s where I find difficulty.

    Also, most of the agents who say they work with investors does not know how to provide data/ analysis to convince me as an investor.

  • Yogesh BhadanePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fairfield, CA · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Mike Dymski Nicely said!

    “Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible”

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Frank Patalano

    Getting a true motivated seller on the phone or direct mail to sell. It's honestly not easy like some act like it is.

    It is tough. There are so many ways to invest though you don't have to choose that one. Perhaps you buy all your deals from wholesalers. Or just a low ball in MLS deals. Just do lending. Or just invest in Crowdfund deals. Plenty of options.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.