How do I get past being a newbie??? This is what I did...

How do I get past being a newbie??? This is what I did...

Developer · San Diego · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 75 votes

Every week, several people start threads asking how to get started or which market they should choose.  A year ago, I started asking the same questions and have a brief summary of what I think a new investor should do to begin investing in real estate.  I started my journey with a good W2 job and a little bit of money, but 6 months after deciding to do it, I purchased a duplex in San Diego.  I made my decision to begin in June of 2018 and 6 months later was under contract on a heavy value-add in one of the hottest, most expensive markets in the country.  If it worked in SoCal, I think this should be a path to get started almost anywhere else in the country.

1.Get educated.  Immerse yourself in books and podcasts.Learn metrics, lingo and strategies so you can talk with other people who are doing what you want to do.  Bigger Pockets, Michael Blank and Jake and Gino have excellent podcasts (I focus on residential multifamily), but there are several others that are amazing resources as well.  When you listen to these podcasts, read the books they recommend.  As the concepts they discuss become more redundant and you start to put your own spin on what you’re hearing, you’ll be ready to start testing theories on other local investors.  To do that, you should get out of the house and go talk to people!

I read and recommend you read all of several of these books:

Rich Dad, Poor Dad – Robert Kiyosaki

The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartments – Steve Burgess

Millionaire Real Estate Investor – Gary Keller

The 4-Hour Work Week – Tim Ferris

The Best Ever Book on Apartment Syndication – Joe Fairless

The Richest Man in Babylon –George Clason

Raising Private Capital – Matt Faircloth

Long Distance Real Estate Investing – David Green

Crushing It – Brian Murray

Cashflow Quadrant – Kiyosaki

The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down – Brandon Turner

Multi-Family Millions – Davis Lindahl

The Book on Flipping Houses – J. Scott

What Every Investor Needs to Know about Cash Flow – Frank Gallinelli

The E-Myth – Michael Gerber

Emerging Real Estate Markets – David Lindahl

Timing the Real Estate Market – Robert Campbell

The Goal – Eliyahu Goldrant

Buy and Hold – David Schumacher

The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs – J. Scott

The One Thing – Gary Keller

The Fountainhead – Ayn Rand

How to Make Friends and Influence People – Dale Carnegie

Awaken the Giant – Tony Robbins

The War of Art-Steven Pressfield

2.Start networking.  Look for people you connect with in your social circles and at real estate meetups.  At meetups you need to figure out a polite way to break away from conversations to continue talking to other people in the room.  “It was great to meet you!Can I have one of your cards so I can follow up later?I want to see who else is here that I haven’t met…”  Talking at these meetups is a numbers game.  You’re only looking for a few people who you’ll want to work with but to find them you’ll have to talk to as many as possible.  You also need several different people on your team.  Go find them!I met my current partner at a kid’s birthday pool party.  My wife’s coworker may be my first money partner.  Talk about what you want to do with everyone you can.

3.Can you find a mentor?  Don’t be annoying but can you make a good enough impression on someone with experience who will let you buy them a beer or coffee on occasion in exchange for some guidance?  Can you do anything to provide value to them?It isn’t up to them to tell you how to provide guidance.  Don’t be annoying.  I would try all of this before looking at buying a mentor.

4.Choose a market and buying criteria.

5.Figure out your financing.  Talk to banks, Mom and Dad, your rich Uncle, friends and family.  How much money do you have/need and what is your purchasing power.  If you don’t know how much property you can buy, you’ll waste the time of any good agent who then won’t return your calls.  Don’t waste other people’s time.

6.Find a Real Estate Agent you like and who wants to work with you.  They will probably want you to sign an exclusivity agreement.  If you like them, sign it but make sure you understand each other’s expectations.  If they’re just ok but are the only one who gets back to you, keep looking (and educating yourself because you probably don’t come across as credible, yet).  You want and need a good agent who understands your criteria and won’t waste time talking about properties that are not a good fit.

7.Look at properties, run your numbers and make offers.Take action!  “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky

That’s how I got started.I immersed myself and became a sponge for information.  Now I’m establishing a track record and have a much clearer vision of what I’m going after.  The best part though is that I’ve done a deal and don’t feel like such a newbie anymore!

What was different about your first year in real estate?  What tips, tricks and education helped others get started?

31Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Lee RipmaPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

@Mark Doty

This is a fantastic list for aspiring investors to become educated and take action, incredibly helpful! I think one of the biggest pieces is working on mindset. Reading the books here should help aspiring investors change their mindset. Mine is always a work in progress. I have a similar story to yours, going from newbie who struggled to analyze a commerical deal, had no idea how to figure out an ARV, and knew nothing about construction to owning 22 units out of state with both cash flow and equity in two years. Now that I've got a strategy that I really understand I'll be able to really grow my portfolio quickly, I'm through the hard part. Learning and mindset on the first few is really tough but then it all clicks and it becomes so much easier to know what it takes for a deal to be a deal. I think the thing that most newer investors struggle with is knowing when a deal is worth pursuing and when it's never going to be a deal. 99% of properties are not a deal! Learning that helped me quickly look and save my time in analyzing and negotiating. I know exactly what a deal looks like FOR ME now! Awesome list!

See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Thanks so much for all that useful information Mark, it's definitely beneficial!  I'm new to real estate investing and just recently ran into a small problem with meeting village requirements on a contract, after posting earnest money.  Therefore, I can attest to how important it is to do lots of reading and networking first.  

    Thanks to BigPockets, most of the real estate investing resources we need to be successful are available to us.

    Tiwanna Agbenyegah 

    TDA Realty investment, LLC

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Mark Doty

    This is a fantastic list for aspiring investors to become educated and take action, incredibly helpful! I think one of the biggest pieces is working on mindset. Reading the books here should help aspiring investors change their mindset. Mine is always a work in progress. I have a similar story to yours, going from newbie who struggled to analyze a commerical deal, had no idea how to figure out an ARV, and knew nothing about construction to owning 22 units out of state with both cash flow and equity in two years. Now that I've got a strategy that I really understand I'll be able to really grow my portfolio quickly, I'm through the hard part. Learning and mindset on the first few is really tough but then it all clicks and it becomes so much easier to know what it takes for a deal to be a deal. I think the thing that most newer investors struggle with is knowing when a deal is worth pursuing and when it's never going to be a deal. 99% of properties are not a deal! Learning that helped me quickly look and save my time in analyzing and negotiating. I know exactly what a deal looks like FOR ME now! Awesome list!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Mark Doty

    I too read The Fountainhead, and also Atlas Shrugged, and Anthem as well. Ayn Rand didn't help make me a real estate investor. 

    I also read The Communist Manifesto, most of Volume I of Marx's Das Kapital, quite a bit of The Prison Notebooks by Antonio Gramsci, Being and Time by Martin Heidegger. Discipline and Punish by Michel Foucault, The Politics of Friendship by Jacques Derrida, The Inhuman by Jean-François Lyotard. Didn't keep me from investing in real estate.

    And believe it or not, neither did the five existing books of George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, or the complete works of JRR Tolkien...

  • Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2018 · 191 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Jim K. You just bored or what?

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Steven Ko:

    @Jim K. You just bored or what?

    No, I just think it's kind of stupid to believe that an Ayn Rand novel about an architect is going to make you a better investor, however adored Ayn Rand is by so many people. I admire much of her work, especially her absolutely dead-on understanding of the weaknesses of Marxism-Leninism. The woman knew early USSR culture first-hand, and was not at all ashamed to expose it and its obvious hypocrisies. But there's not much BRRRRing, loan applications, cash-on-cash returns, or reading profit-and-loss statements in The Fountainhead.

  • Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2018 · 191 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Jim K. to each their own man. Maybe the op found an abstract way to relate it. Why you getting all riled up over one book? This community should be a positive one. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Steven Ko

    Apparently, according to your definition of the term, "riled up," it includes writing a few book references by socialist authors and a discussion of one of the strengths of philosophical Objectivism.

    Just one question...have you read The Fountainhead, or are we talking about nothing here?

    It's a 700-page novel written in 1943 mostly exploring Modernism in skyscraper architecture and selfishness in art...yeah, it stuck out there between the half-inch-thick self-help and business books. War and Peace would have stuck out a bit more, but not all that much.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    I’ve read -most of those books before I bought a property . Definitely a good list . I would add

    Think and grow rich

    Outwitting the devil

    How to raise your salary

    10x rule

    Abcs of real estate

    The holy bible

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Dennis M.

    You see, normally I would ask, "Why the Bible?" But I've read a lot of the Bible, and I know you have, too. There really is all kinds of useful stuff about human nature as it relates to money in the Bible most people miss. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    @Dennis M.

    You see, normally I would ask, "Why the Bible?" But I've read a lot of the Bible, and I know you have, too. There really is all kinds of useful stuff about human nature as it relates to money in the Bible most people miss. 

    Whenever I  find  myself striving for money and neglecting other things like mediation and my family I read Ecclesiastes to get me back on track for what’s really important . Whenever I’m just looking for meat and potatoes wisdom I read proverbs 

  • new york city · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    @Mark Doty congrats on ur deal and trying motivate newbies like myself

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Mark Doty thanks for the information on getting started! It can definitely seem like a bit much but excited to learn and network with everyone!! Definitely checking out the resources you have listed and will be networking at every opportunity! Thank you for your insight!

  • Columbus · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Mark Doty

    This is a great list to get started. As a newbie myself it can be intimidating but I think educating yourself is the most important.

    These books are on my list and definitely trying to network with all of the like minded people here on Bigger Pockets.

    Thanks for the awesome tips.

  • New to Real Estate · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Mark Doty

    This is absolutely fantastic for newbies like me. Thanks for sharing this.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y

    Nice list and my favorite is "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and "How to Make Friends and Influence People".  I also like "Tools of the Titans" & "Think and Grow Rich".

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Lee Ripma can you elaborate on what a deal looks like because just when I think I have it figured out I quickly come to the realization I don’t. I think one of my main issues is deciding what a good cash flowing number when dealing with a 2-3 MF house

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Kodi Parker - This probably isn't what you want to hear BUT here it is: there is only a deal that makes sense for YOU. It's all based on your risk tolerance, your desired returns, and how much work you want to do (either yourself or tasked out). It's probably also based on how much capital you have access to and what asset class you like and understand. I can't answer your question! I know what a deal looks like for me but I don't know it for you. For myself I know what price I can buy at, add value to, and refi, and then pull most of the cash out of while still having cash flow. I know the market rent that I target, I know the ratios I target, I know the rents in the neighborhoods I target. Others have different deal criteria that works for them. There is no hard and fast rule. How do I know my buying criteria and my stategy? Hard work, reseach, and action. There isn't a subsitute for it! 

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Lee Ripma this is very informative and I appreciate it thank you

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Great advice! And great book list. Thanks for sharing! Great resource.

    How did the SD duplex turnout? Did the numbers work?

  • Rental Property Investor · Waialua, HI · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Mark Doty

    Thanks for the reading list Mark.

  • Developer · San Diego · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 75 votes
    7y

    @Lee Ripma - Thanks for comments and feedback!  I talked to you when I was still trying to figure out what to go after.  Like you commented, I too think the real estate world can be daunting when getting started and that was the idea behind this post.  You have to learn a little bit and figure out what works for you.  I was overwhelmed in the beginning and had no idea where to start.  The reading list helped me get started.

    @Jim K.  Agree to disagree?  I liked the Fountainhead better but thought it and Atlas Shrugged were both good for setting a mindset.  The political agenda didn't influence my overall opinion of either book.

    @Dennis M. Thanks for the additions...I'll check those out.

    @Ali Boone - The duplex is still a work in progress but is working out...The addition of the third unit will make it cash flow, so on paper it works, but we'll see how it ends up after completion this summer.  Thanks for asking!

    Best of luck to everyone just getting started!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Mark Doty

    Sure we can agree to disagree. My kind of novel for "setting a mindset" in REI is more like Moby Dick.

    "
    Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, though tied to thee, thou damned whale! "

  • Ben McMahonPro Member
    Investor · San Diego CA · Member since 2014 · 341 posts · 139 votes
    6y

    @Mark Doty and @ all 

    When I was about to buy my first property in 2006 both the banks and everyone I knew told me that I better buy a house now, or I would never again have the opportunity.  That was the mindset at the time.

    When I actually did buy in 2009, People told me I was an idiot.  When I bought again in 2010, they thought I was even more of an idiot. Than when I bought again in 2011 I somehow did the same thing and was a genius.   I had just read Warren Buffets book the Snowball Effect I think it was called.  In which the best piece of advice Ive ever gotten was found.  Most people know this “ be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.”  

    If anyone can still remember that time, there was a LOT of fear. I was looking at the numbers and it was insane. I bought a townhouse for 50k, and the rent was 850. I looked at the numbers over and over again to see what I was missing. WHY was everyone telling me not to invest in real estate when the ROI was ridiculous? FEAR

    Now what do we have?  HGTV, a million books and podcasts about how everyone can make millions investing in real estate.  HYPE.  Being smarter than everyone else doesn’t mean read more books.  Sometimes it means read less. Pay attention to less HYPE.  I’m not saying be ignorant, but when you see everyone doing this thing, I would be wary.  

    For clarification I am not saying dont get educated, and I am not saying dont buy real estate.  I’m saying if everyone seems to be greedy it might be time to be fearful.  Real estate goes in cycles, and nobody times it perfect.  Look around you with your OWN eyes.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.