Rookie investor in LA

Rookie investor in LA

Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 11 votes

25 year old looking to build a portfolio on cash flow properties . I am based in Los Angeles . Any suggestions?

0Reply
84 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · HI · Member since 2017 · 328 posts · 124 votes
7y

Hi @Nancy Mascorro I live in Hawaii but invest in Cleveland.  It's doable. Let me know how I can help.

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Nancy Mascorro

     As you may have read, not many properties in LA cash flow right off the bat. That doesn't mean that they don't exist but with rent control throughout the city, many units have lower than market rents while the asking price is taking into consideration market rents. If you are a new investor, I suggest reading up on all things real estate.

    We would need to know more about your goals, financial situation, and area of Los Angeles to give more advice.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Wiley Strahan hello, Im actually looking into everything outside of Los Angeles. It’s too expensive to invest. More specifically I’m looking into the IE or anything east of Los Angeles.

    Maybe even another state— like Texas or Detroit.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Nancy Mascorro

    Thanks for the clarification - there are a number of threads on here about CA investors looking outside of CA to invest. A states folks have been focusing on: Texas, Missouri, Florida, Alabama, Ohio, Illinois. I suggest reading up on BP as there are a bunch of threads on this exact topic.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Wiley Strahan thank you. Do you currently invest in any of these areas? If so, which do you like better?

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    It'll have to be out-of-state for cash flow. Are you wanting to buy properties you have to put work into or properties that are rent-ready/turnkey? How much capital do you have to work with?

  • Investor · HI · Member since 2017 · 328 posts · 124 votes
    7y

    Hi @Nancy Mascorro I live in Hawaii but invest in Cleveland.  It's doable. Let me know how I can help.

  • Erik TsouPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Nancy Mascorro thanks for asking this! I'm in the same boat. Looking to invest out of state for cash flowing property.

    I am reading the book on long distance investing....I was hoping to purchase my own property here just so that I don't have to throw money into the abyss by renting (paying $3000/month). But perhaps I should just continue renting and start with investing out-of state!

    @Ali Boone I have around 50k right now...not a lot by any means. I guess with this amount of money, Im looking at investing in a place where I can do some work (BRRRR)?

    @Wiley Strahan thanks for the advice, I will look into Texas, Missouri, Florida, Alabama, Ohio, Illinois. 

  • Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 104 votes
    7y

    @Erik Tsou @Nancy MascorroI got a couple of properties years back when the prices is good. Now I'm mainly focusing on investing in TX.

    Btw, I have a furnished room for rent in LA if anyone is looking to cut down on rent.

  • Andrew HoganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 559 posts · 463 votes
    7y

    @Nancy Mascorro We're going to be in LA in a few weeks. I'd love to meet up to better understand your goals. Let's connect to set something up.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Ali Boone I would prefer a turn key property but if it’s much more cheaper to do a fixer upper I wouldn’t mind that either.

    I have 10k (not a lot) but I have a lot of credit (I know that is not recommended) but sometimes you have to work with what you have.

    Also, I have family members that would lend me money if needed.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Michael Ohara how has that been working for you?

    How many do you own?

    How long have you owned for?

    Have your properties been appreciating at a decent rate?

    Sorry for all the questions. I have heard good things about Cleveland.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Erik Tsou who is that book by?

    It is so expensive to live! Lucky for investors who jumped in early —these properties are cash flowing nicely & appreciating rapidly.

  • Investor · HI · Member since 2017 · 328 posts · 124 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nancy Mascorro:

    @Michael Ohara how has that been working for you?

    How many do you own?

    How long have you owned for?

    Have your properties been appreciating at a decent rate?

    Sorry for all the questions. I have heard good things about Cleveland.

     Hi, it's been going great.  I currently have about 20 doors plus a handful of flips going on.  Unlike CA or HI, Cleveland doesn't appreciate as much.  For me it's all about cash flow.  All the best.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Fay Chen any cities in Texas you prefer specifically? I’ve been looking there as well.

    For an investment home, is there any way around a 20% down?

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Michael Ohara thank you so much. I will definitely look into Cleveland. Any areas in specific you prefer over others?

  • Investor · HI · Member since 2017 · 328 posts · 124 votes
    7y

    @Nancy Mascorro A lot of people prefer the Westside but I go where the deal makes sense.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Michael Ohara I appreciate your time!

  • Erik TsouPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nancy Mascorro:

    @Erik Tsou who is that book by?

    Long-Distance Real Estate Investing: How to buy, Rehab, and Manage Out of State Rental Properties by David Greene

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by :

    I have around 50k right now...not a lot by any means. I guess with this amount of money, Im looking at investing in a place where I can do some work (BRRRR)?

    $50k is pretty decent. You can get 1-2 turnkeys with that (I work with turnkeys myself) or probably do a BRRRR (but I don't do those so can't really advise there).

  • Rental Property Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2018 · 183 posts · 264 votes
    7y

    I also live in California and invest out of state. I settled on Cleveland for now. Cons: historically no appreciation, very old housing stock, super-high property taxes (especially in the suburbs), harsh weather (wear & tear on the properties), landlord-hostile city gov'ts (depending on the city). Pro: super-high cash flow (makes up for all those cons!)

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nancy Mascorro:

    @Ali Boone I would prefer a turn key property but if it’s much more cheaper to do a fixer upper I wouldn’t mind that either.

    I have 10k (not a lot) but I have a lot of credit (I know that is not recommended) but sometimes you have to work with what you have.

    Also, I have family members that would lend me money if needed.

    If you're talking about out-of-state, turnkey vs. a fixer-upper will really be two very different animals in terms of strategy. $10k will be short for both of them. For a decent turnkey, you'll need a minimum of $25k ($20k on a major stretch), as it will be 20% down for the loan plus closing costs. I don't do fixer-uppers so can't offer any advice there, but fixer-uppers typically require more money out of pocket for the rehab.

  • Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 104 votes
    7y

    @Nancy Mascorro I'm in Dallas Fort Worth area. I can't really compare because I haven't been in other areas. A few years back when I was looking for properties, Austin was already too pricy. Houston was suffering the oil burst and was flooded. So I chose DFW. Now I DFW is getting pricy. I heard Houston is coming back. A lot of investors are going to San Antonio as well.

  • Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 104 votes
    7y

    @Nancy Mascorro I put 20% down. You can probably use private money, line of credit or hard money if you want to do less than 20%. I haven't been able to find that good of a deal to justify the numbers with special financing. I'm a small investor from out of state, so I don't have access to the insider deals yet.

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nancy Mascorro:

    25 year old looking to build a portfolio on cash flow properties . I am based in Los Angeles . Any suggestions?

     Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you! 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2019 · 499 posts · 259 votes
    7y

    @Nancy Mascorro

    TBH 10k is going to be tough to invest with. You can also look into hard money, but its very competitive these days. Those lenders want track record. Keep getting education and diligently save. Assuming you are not a real estate professional, if you plan on being investor full-time find someday, find a way to break into the industry. If you plan on keeping your current career, find ways to increase your income. One thing that is tough, especially investing out of state is that you typically need money. I personally would not use credit as downpayment if you can't pay that back in a timely manner.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.