How to provide value to a potential Mentor you want to work with?

How to provide value to a potential Mentor you want to work with?

Realtor · Lodi California · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 4 votes

I dont have much experience in Real Estate but I'm currently saving up money to invest in real estate and also working on getting my License! I have reached out to many Investors near me and I would love to work with them and provide value to them and in exchange know how to do what they do! What are some of the best ways to put myself in a position so that I can give them an incentive to WANT to work with me? Any bit would help Thanks :)

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
7y

@Bryan Jacob Heilman my best mentor early on was my lender. He is only one year older than me, but began investing about ten years before me pre-crash in the same areas I invest in (Berwyn, Brookfield, IL, etc). It is funny because the best way that I can provide value to him is to use him for all of my conventional financed deals (I do use him for sure). He is part of my "team", and it just recently occurred to me that after five years he has become a mentor!

If you are able to, find a way to make your mentor money. If they are an attorney, use them as your attorney. If your mentor is a contractor, hire them to do work. Most of us won't find a mentor that is incredibly loaded and semi retired as those types often times are focused on other parts of their lives. Most mentors won't say "I am your mentor"!. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Bryan Jacob Heilman my best mentor early on was my lender. He is only one year older than me, but began investing about ten years before me pre-crash in the same areas I invest in (Berwyn, Brookfield, IL, etc). It is funny because the best way that I can provide value to him is to use him for all of my conventional financed deals (I do use him for sure). He is part of my "team", and it just recently occurred to me that after five years he has become a mentor!

    If you are able to, find a way to make your mentor money. If they are an attorney, use them as your attorney. If your mentor is a contractor, hire them to do work. Most of us won't find a mentor that is incredibly loaded and semi retired as those types often times are focused on other parts of their lives. Most mentors won't say "I am your mentor"!. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Bryan Jacob Heilman

    Welcome to BP! 

    In order to bring value to someone, you need to find a way to solve their problems. How can one do that? Offer to work for free for them. Shadow them and see what are the things that are currently struggling with or that are time consuming. Think of how you can help them minimize the time consumption.

    Best of luck!

  • Investor · Austin TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Alina Trigub Let me just say as someone who has been asked to be a me tor and to be shadowed, I hate when people tell me that they will work for me for free. Because then I have to come up with something for them to do. I have to find some non essential task to give them and then take the time to explain how I want it done. 🙄🙄🙄

    If you are going to offer to work for free tell the person specifically what your skills are and what kinds of things you could do for them that would be benefical to them. Remember that its not about you, the people you are approaching are doing just fine without you. You need to explain (specifically) how you are going to add value to the business.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Lydia,
    If you don't want anyone to work for you for free then you tell them so. No strings attached. Just because someone asks doesn't mean you need to give.  There're plenty of other people who will take free labor day or night. 


    Originally posted by @Lydia R.:

    @Alina Trigub Let me just say as someone who has been asked to be a me tor and to be shadowed, I hate when people tell me that they will work for me for free. Because then I have to come up with something for them to do. I have to find some non essential task to give them and then take the time to explain how I want it done. 🙄🙄🙄

    If you are going to offer to work for free tell the person specifically what your skills are and what kinds of things you could do for them that would be benefical to them. Remember that its not about you, the people you are approaching are doing just fine without you. You need to explain (specifically) how you are going to add value to the business.

  • Investor · Austin TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Alina Trigub Its not about not wanting free labor, its about having to come up with a task! If someone showed up at ur house and said hey Im here to work for you for free. You would have figure out tasks that you needed done that you would be willing to let some random stranger do. Im guessing you would not let this person read your kids bedtime stories. So my point/advice is that if you are going to offer to work for free, get specific about what your skills are and what you can do so its not a chore for the investor (who you want something from) to give you tasks to do.

  • Real Estate Agent · Malaysia · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    @Lydia R. I agree with your point. My 1st mentor is a business owner and he teaches me a lot of financial education. In return, I told him that I would be his company's energy consultant for free. And here I am as a property investor.

    @Bryan Jacob Heilman Maybe you can try and ask yourself what are your skills that might be adding value to the potential mentor. You can try checking out his/her background and then approach them with a proposal. Remember everyone has 24 hours a day and you do not want to waste yours or their time. Hope it helps.

    Zig Ziglar once said: "Lack of direction, not lack of time, is the problem. We all have 24-hours everyday" 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.