Permits, red tags, inspectors -- oh, my! (Caught -- what to do?)

Permits, red tags, inspectors -- oh, my! (Caught -- what to do?)

Flipper/Rehabber · North/Central Florida · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 12 votes

Appetizer (skip to the Meat and Potatoes, if you want to get to the point)

I’m requesting specific knowledge on the red tagging process, permits, and inspectors to try to save what was supposed to be a new family business. You guys are really getting thrown into the middle of this story (at least I hope it’s the middle -- not the end) without a lot of the background. I intended to post about my first experience -- taking the plunge on my first flip. But since I’ve had to become my own handyman to fix the deficiencies of handymen apparently less capable, knowledgeable, or honorable than myself, I’ve had little time to do anything else. This experience has opened my eyes to the previously unconsidered point of permits -- to ensure the work being done is held to a certain standard of quality. Okay, in general, that was considered before from the point of ensuring things are safe. I had never considered that without permits, certain handymen (I now know a few), would produce such low quality work necessitating the job be completely redone with no method of getting the money back from the scumbag handymen. (At least, I don’t think there is. If anyone knows how to get money back from handymen who performed unacceptable work without permits, please let me know.) I now sing the praises of permits! It turns out they aren’t even that expensive -- far less than having the work redone. But that’s my lesson, not the point of this post.

Meat and Potatoes

I received an inspector’s card, found slipped underneath the door of the property, with a hand-written note to call him, that I was in violation, and a permit is needed. The windows were all covered and he came upon the house when no one was there. What is obvious from the outside is siding being replaced. He possibly noticed that new windows were installed, as some of the siding was missing from that area, as well as the window trim. If he was good, he may have noticed a new air compressor for the central AC that was installed. And if he was a superstar, he peeked under the house and saw new plumbing. However, it should be noted that the card said “violation” not “violations” and will need “permit” not “permits”. So maybe only one violation has been discovered. I’m going to ask some questions that seem shady, regarding avoiding permits. In trying to get to the point faster, I’ve put my justification for such actions in the Dessert section at the end. If you have answers or solutions that you would rather not post, but still empathize with my situation and want to help, then by all means please message me privately. My questions are these:

1. Why didn’t the inspector red tag me if he saw a violation?

Is he being a nice guy? Does he want to pose as a nice guy to lure me into opening the door, so he can see inside and hit me with everything he can?

2. What evidence is needed to red tag a property not displaying permits?

3. What can an inspector do to get inside the property?

Can he call the sheriff to force me to open the door? What power does he have to see/get inside the house?

4. If red-tagged and discovered doing work on the property, what are the repercussions and what evidence must the inspector have that you are doing work (i.e. video of you performing work, pics of new work done, his word)?

Is working with the doors closed and windows blocked an option?

5. What would you do, if through your own ignorance of being new to this industry, found yourself in the same situation?

How can I minimize the permits and rework, at this point? Any other knowledge you have about this process that might help? I know the classic (and now deeply understood) response of “Do it right, @$$h0le!”, will come quickly to some. I don’t mind it. You’re right! But, I have to survive this situation so that I can do just that, next time. Any advice beyond that is appreciated.

6. Do you see any flaws in my current strategy outlined below?

I have contacted the inspector via email to avoid getting trapped on the phone. I have asked him what violation he saw and how I can fix it to ascertain specifically what he has seen that needs a permit (no reply after 24hrs). If I can avoid him getting into the house long enough, hopefully the holiday helps, I can get drywall up to cover the rewire and possibly plumbing. Is there any way to identify a rewire or replumb, with enough certainty to demand a permit before or after the drywall is up? (Btw, I have researched all the codes related to the work I have had to redo and have a degree in electrical engineering. I am confident nothing is unsafe. I would not allow that.)

Dessert

I’m trying to minimize the damage of my screwup and not have my family pay for my ignorance. From having read many posts on the topic of permits, I know some of you are boiling with rage that I did not get permits. You feel I have contributed to the poor reputation flippers sometimes get. You are preaching to the choir at this point. I have not only lost so much more in rework, but now have no recourse against the shady “handymen” who not only avoid doing work up to code, but who have no problem or moral conflict with doing work that is unsafe and/or they have no idea how to do. Permits are amazing! Permits protect the future home buyer AND the flipper! If you think I need to suffer financial ruin to really make sure I’ve learned my lesson, I assure you the stress, anxiety, additional costs of rework, and realization that some people (if you can call these “handymen” people) truly have no regard for their fellow human (or even the reputation attached to their own name) has seared this lesson into my mind already. Please note, I know it’s not all handymen, just the low-balling no-need-for-permits type I seem to attract.

Anything done without a permit has been brought up to code, however, it was not done by someone with a license and as I own the house through an LLC and am not an occupant, would still necessitate the work being done by someone with a license (e.g. paid for again, at a much higher price). The stakes are these: if the inspector gets inside and hits me with all the missing permits, fines for not getting the permits, and rework by a licensed pro, I will be ruined and the dream of a family business will have ended in this nightmare. Even without this permit situation, this flip would take a loss for reasons my long-windedness can't get into without writing a book. Suffice it to say, a handyman screwed us in, yet, another way. I haven't even delved into the complications that will arise if this flip is further dragged on due to the looming hard money loan coming due in a few months. I just wanted to jump in and finally pull the trigger after years of research. I knew that reading will only take you so far and needed that real world experience -- getting my wish. Anyway, if you've read this far, and possibly forgotten the questions posed already, the real question is this -- Based on what you know about the permitting process, what could someone do in this situation to minimize the expense? Thanks, in advance.

2Reply
253 views

Most Popular Reply

Clint ShelleyPro Member
Surveyor · Dothan, AL · Member since 2014 · 425 posts · 391 votes
7y

I had the same thing happen to me on my first real rehab. Ask the inspector to meet you over there. Let him know your inexperience and that you've had to take over the remodel, and that you would like his help and guidance on how to perform properly. If think of him and treat him as an advocate versus an adversary, it will make your life much easier and you'll be better equipped for the next one. He will not forget you if you try to circumvent him. After my experience, I had zero issues afterward. Good luck.

Clint

See this reply in the discussion

67 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    There’s no easy around it.  The inspector Will get inside at some point, you can’t keep him out.  If you put up new drywall, without a permit, you’ll then be opening it back up to see what you covered up.

    The inspector Will notice everything new, this is not his first rodeo.

    You’ll just have to come clean, be honest, say you know you screwed and be as Cooperative as possible....you’ll come out better that way.  Try to be slick, you’ll pay a much bigger price.

    If your flip couldn’t afford doing it with permits, it wasn’t a good deal.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · North/Central Florida · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Hey @Wayne Brooks, thank you for the reply. Man, it would feel so good to be able to open that place up, say "Sorry. What's the damage?", take the loss and move on. But at this point, I literally can't afford to do it that way. I bought the place from a wholesaler with a little meat on the bone, but not much. I went into it thinking, "I just wanna get some experience in the industry before the market takes a dive." That was the popular comeback I kept hearing on the topic of "Should I invest in the market now, when many feel a correction is imminent?" The common reply from the experienced was that if you're new and wait to get into the market, you wont have the experience and connections to act effectively when the time is right. So, we took a deal (our first) that wasn't the best with the knowledge and acceptance that even if we lose a little, it would be a well paid for experience. We didn't expect or know we would take a loss, we just knew we could survive a small one, so it gave us piece of mind.

    Here's what threw it off the rails: we got a friend-of-a-friend handyman who told us he would rehab the whole place for 8k! I'm talking down to the studs rebuild! That's amazing, I thought! We never intended or needed to do so much to the place, but how am I going to argue with such a bargain -- gonna make this place amazing! Then the guy decides not to finish the work and leaves us holding the bag. Obviously, no one on this Earth would do all that work for anywhere near that price. So, here we are, trying to patch the situation up as best we can.

    I know it seems what I'm trying to do is slick, maybe it is, but it's also just survival at this point. To open it up and say "What do I owe, ya?" at this point would be irrelevant. I may as well skip that and move on to the next logical step of... well, actually I don't even know. What do you do when the cost to get the place into saleable condition has skyrocketed past affordability? You are right @Wayne Brooks, it wasn't a good deal, it was a meh deal that fell into disaster when I believed a person would do a full rehab for a ridiculous price. I did not know enough of the true costs involved in a lot of the work to know it was foolish. It's another on a long list of lessons I will never forget. I'm just trying to ensure there is a point to these lessons -- that we will get the opportunity to do it perfectly next time.

  • Investor · Fairfax Station, VA · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Wayne Brooks is giving you sound advice, which you may be inclined to ignore due to budget issues.  

    Let me try another way, because you will be far worse off if you ignore his advice 

    In my experience, inspectors enjoy power.  They are usually content with the daily power of you following the rules, being polite, being available, and taking care of the deficiencies they cite.  They REALLY enjoy the power of sparring with someone who ignores them, lies to them, tries to "game" the process, etc.   You have no idea how many ways they can stall your project, and you will NEVER get through all of the governmental requirements to get your property sold if you challenge them.  You will end up with a "finished" project which cannot be sold because you cannot get a certificate of occupancy.  You will have to go back, tear things out, rework, etc.  It will cost you twice as much, since you will have done several things twice.  The worst part is this will cost you a lot of TIME.  During this time you will be spending money on loan interest, utilities, etc.  The worst part of all this extra time is that the MARKET MAY TURN during the delays.

    Not having money doesn't change any of this.  The inspector and the government DON'T CARE.

    My advice:

    1. Find a way to get more money some way. HELOC loan is the easiest if you have any home equity.

    2. Study the permitting, inspection and approval process for your jurisdiction.  You need to understand all the                approvals you need to be able to sell the property.  The inspector himself is a good resource to help you understand the process.

    3. Work with the inspector to make sure you get his "sign-offs" where/when required

    4. Get your flip done as quickly as possible, following all the rules, and get it sold.

    5. Chalk up the loss as "tuition" and move on.

    I know this is hard to hear, but you may have already made the mistake that will cost you a bunch of money.  Your job now is to minimize the amount of money you lose.  Trying to avoid the requirements will add to your losses.

  • Clint ShelleyPro Member
    Surveyor · Dothan, AL · Member since 2014 · 425 posts · 391 votes
    7y

    I had the same thing happen to me on my first real rehab. Ask the inspector to meet you over there. Let him know your inexperience and that you've had to take over the remodel, and that you would like his help and guidance on how to perform properly. If think of him and treat him as an advocate versus an adversary, it will make your life much easier and you'll be better equipped for the next one. He will not forget you if you try to circumvent him. After my experience, I had zero issues afterward. Good luck.

    Clint

  • Real Estate Broker · Auburn, WA · Member since 2015 · 151 posts · 106 votes
    7y

    @Christopher Liffner WORK WITH THE INSPECTOR! State will shut you down and follow your every move... cheaper to be friends then enemies of the state.... just saying...

  • Flipper/Rehabber · North/Central Florida · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @John Logue, that advice is very appreciated. It's funny, I've had the "chalk it up to tuition" attitude for a while. But the more that loss climbs, the harder that pill is to swallow. Time was another factor causing me to try to get this wrapped up without permits, now that I'm 6 months deep into a 9 month hard money loan. But as you guys have pointed out, it has/will just cost me more time and money in the end. That was the positive feedback loop I got stuck in -- the more time and money lost on these shady handymen, the more I felt I had to keep avoiding the high priced (relative to the cheapo handythieves, anyway) GCs, which just kept costing me more time and money, trapping me in this mindset. Anyway, thanks again.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · North/Central Florida · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Clint Shelley, thanks for telling me about your experience. That was something I have been very scared to do, is just open that place after the handies have just ravaged the place. I've got the impression that will just encourage the inspector to go to town and crush me. But at this point, there aren't a lot of options left. So, fingers crossed.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · North/Central Florida · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Yeah, @John Barrows, I hear ya.

    It brings up one of my questions again, though, that makes me uneasy. Why hasn't this guy simply red tagged me? If they tend to be drunk on their own power, why wouldn't he just shut me down without warning after seeing several violations on the outside? Is he a decent person giving me a chance or is he wanting me to show him the inside and crush me after doing so?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · North/Central Florida · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Here was my next approach, let me know if their are any flaws. Since I haven't been red tagged and any violations on the inside are unknown by the inspector at this point. Can I get a contractor(s) in there to file for the appropriate permits pertaining to the inside without fear of any fines?

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    Inspectors need your permission to come into the house . Or a warrant . if you push the point they will get one . As far as lying about electrical and plumbing , well the wire and pipe have the manufacture date on them . 

  • Clint ShelleyPro Member
    Surveyor · Dothan, AL · Member since 2014 · 425 posts · 391 votes
    7y

    In my case, they tagged my property and arrived 15 minutes before our meeting to dive in my dumpster. My AC man didn't pull the permit for new ducts, so they basically inspected my trash to see what all had been done. I relied on the trades to pull the permits. Now I pull them myself. In my case we had drywall up and I was hoping they wouldn't make me open it. They didn't. After a few tense minutes, that's when I decided to fall on the sword. Once I did that, it was smooth sailing. Yeah, I was pissed that they went through my trash, but once I got focused on the end game, I was good. That rental now nets 250 a month with a great tenant.

    Clint

  • Real Estate Agent · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    Chances are he hasn’t seen a specific violation from the outside to give you a stop work order. Most townships in PA allow siding & roof replacement, trim replacement, and even window replacement (as long as they are of adequate egress size) without a permit. I have no idea if it’s similar in your township/bureau.

    BUT, if all of this is happening on the outside, there’s a good chance the inside is just as, if not more, involved.

    I just started working as a Building code inspector in PA and we, believe it or not, have an obligation to stop and ask questions when we see construction. (I’m not too crazy about that part of the job). So this could very well have been the case with your inspector who left his card and asked for you to contact him/her.

    If you’re as confident as you say that all the work has been completed that meets/exceeds current code then let him see that and get a proper CO (certificate of occupancy).

    What is your approach when it comes time to sell and you list all the upgrades you did to the home? Any realtor worth his or her salt will ask if permits were obtained for those upgrades and if a final inspection and issuance of a CO were obtained. Saying no could cost you a lot more at resale than pulling permits....

    My respectfully submitted two cents.

    Best of luck to you!

  • Clint ShelleyPro Member
    Surveyor · Dothan, AL · Member since 2014 · 425 posts · 391 votes
    7y

    In my case, they tagged my property and arrived 15 minutes before our meeting to dive in my dumpster. My AC man didn't pull the permit for new ducts, so they basically inspected my trash to see what all had been done. I relied on the trades to pull the permits. Now I pull them myself. In my case we had drywall up and I was hoping they wouldn't make me open it. They didn't. After a few tense minutes, that's when I decided to fall on the sword. Once I did that, it was smooth sailing. Yeah, I was pissed that they went through my trash, but once I got focused on the end game, I was good. That rental now nets 250 a month with a great tenant.

    Clint

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Christopher L.

    Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I’ve been a building inspection for 20+ years.  Not every inspector red tags every project, they want to see what you have done.  That’s the purpose of the notice.  They will want to walk through the building and see what has been done and what permits are required.   Although some inspectors are on a power trip not everyone is like that.  Everyone has a job to do and we all have to follow rules even if we don't like them.  We follow rules when we drive a car or can run the risk of a ticket.  I would say that not all police officers are on a power trip, but they have a job to do.  It’s all about safety at the end of the day.

    Work with the inspector at this point.  Don’t try to cover work up.  The are not stupid they will notice new drywall.  If it’s done up to code then probably they will double the cost of the permit.  If your remodeling was substantial where structural work was done, high level of electrical, plumbing and mechanical then an inspection of all the work will take place.  They can have you remove drywall.  The odds are unlikely a handyman followed the code with there work although not impossible.  It’s hard enough for licensed contractors to keep up with the codes.

    As far as inspectors looking  through windows, peeking underneath the structure and the like is completely illegal.  They can knock on the door, leave a notice,  post a stop work order, but that’s the extent of it.  They can write you a ticket. 

    Rehabbing generally requires a permit.  If the permit is going to cause the project not to be successful your numbers are way to tight.  It’s a calculated risk.  If you get caught you have to pay the price.  If you market the property it was rehabbed a buyer could request copies of permits.  It could be a sticking point.  Even worse if there was a fire and the property did not have a permit your insurance carrier could deny your claim.

    Be careful and work with the inspector.  If you have code questions feel free to contact me.

    Good Luck.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · North/Central Florida · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Thanks, @Matthew Paul. Those are the details I was looking for, initially. I suppose even if I got the drywall up, you could see the wiring date in the attic. The plumbing might be a little easier to drywall up, but access from under the house really kills that one too. Alcohol rub down to remove the ink date?... kidding, kidding... ;)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · North/Central Florida · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Glad to hear it's working out, @Clint Shelley! Horrifying to hear they aren't above some dumpster diving!

  • Real Estate Agent · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Christopher Liffner - I got a stop work on my window in January and couldn’t close out all the new permits I owed until late April and it cost me several thousand extra not including holding costs. They made me back permit a 2015 hot water heater with a licensed plumber when I bought the house in 2018. I went in to meet with the head honcho and apologized and said my bad. They went through and made me get all the permits I was supposed to. I told them to tell me what permits I needed to get then I got those. I didn’t have to rip down new walls to show wiring to new recessed lighting but they had the right to. You have to get a licensed guy to certify it was done right - plumber, electrician etc unless you’re claiming you did it and then they may make you open it up. The chief inspector waived the $2000 fine but I did owe $500+ in permits. If you plan to do business in the town again, this is your one mistake. Every other time you’ll need to do it right from the get go. It’s smart to ask what violation they want a permit for. I think my town doesn’t require it for siding or roofing anymore but used to.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · North/Central Florida · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Hey, @Brian Faust! I appreciate the insight. They are definitely a bit more permit happy here. From what I can tell now (their website does not clearly define the details of all required permits), I could replace window glass, but not a full window. Siding seems to require a permit too.

    The problem with the work is that even if it is fully up to code, it wasn't performed by someone with a license and I am not technically the homeowner, the LLC is. So, from my understanding, I need to get a licensed pro in there to charge me to look everything over and possibly redo a couple things. Even if there isn't much to alter, I'm sure there's going to be a substantial cost in simply coming out, looking every bit over, as he's putting his name on it, and the cost of using his license.

    As far as lost value if I were to sell without permits, my initial thoughts were that it would not be substantial. For example, I might not be able to claim "all new windows", but when you look at the windows and see that they are beautiful and of great quality, you would value it based on that and visual comparison to the competition. Conversely, even if I had permitted all new windows, but they got all scratched up in the process, it wouldn't be relevant that they were new, their condition and appearance would be the true determinant of the value the buyer places on them. Similar argument with siding. It's great to hear "all new siding", but you can see the condition of the siding to know how it's holding up. Not 100% true for every type of upgrade, it certainly wouldn't be as good, but that was the initial thought process.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 140 votes
    7y

    @Christopher Liffner

    Remember that building, plumbing mech, and electric codes are there to protect people and property. The codes are the bare minimum standards. Since this is

    not your residence, but an investment property, you probably are required to use licensed contractors. Most inspectors I met, have worked in the fields, and now are licensed inspectors.

    They are protecting their license when they enforce the codes, and will work with you, if you work with them. It's not a bad thing.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    Why do you think it is ok to cover up substandard work with drywall? Your incompetence could lead to someone getting killed or at a minimum you cover up a problem and pass it on to the next person. Just wrong, not cool, not professional, amateur hour big time.

    Call the inspector and be completely honest about all work being done. Get proper permits and proper inspections.

    Will this cost you? Yes.

    If everyone did quality work, there would be no need for inspections.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Christopher L.

    There are two roads in front of you -- come to Jesus, or be made an example of. You want to know if there is a third road that involves some sort of productive negotiation. There is not. You have no past working relationship with this code enforcement official. There is a trust threshold to working with such individuals that you haven't passed.

    Granted, I am not based on Florida, like @Brian Faust, I am in Pennsylvania.

    Please forgive me for pointing out the following: I understand and appreciate that you're at the wrong end of a hard-money loan on this, and the stress of it is eating at you. This is certainly not the time to explain to you the dangers of going into hard money rehab loans without a proven rehab team. It is, however, an opportunity to show others reading these forums that they need to think hard about ALL the risks of hard money rehab loans, and that's why I've written this paragraph, not because I don't understand anything about the world of hurt you're in right now and want to add insult to your already unbearable injury.

    My advice to you is to actively contact the building inspector and do your best to explain the situation. Apologize for your bad decision to date not to contract code enforcement actively yourself. Say the note has helped you realize you need to show him everything. Above all, emphasize what I believe is the truth here -- the stress of dealing with this situation and all the unknowns involved in it affected your good judgment.

    I know this is not easy. This is also very likely not the inspector's first time dealing with an investor who's been screwed over by his so-called rehab professionals. There is a very good chance you're going to come out of this with a workable action plan. Nobody becomes a local code enforcement officer in order to break people. These guys are worried about fires, about avoidable accidents, about loss of life and property, about stopping arrogant, greedy little fools who make irresponsible decisions and endanger their communities in order to enrich themselves unreasonably. You obviously do not fall into this group. Doing things this way was not your first choice.

    I would also start contacting local plumbers and electricians and ask if they would be willing to work with you and allow you to do some work under their supervision. I don't know what the guidelines are for this in Florida, or in the municipality you're working with. I have an electrician and an electrical inspector who are willing to let me do demo and some of the rough work and will make sure it was done up to code, this is because my PA registration as a home improvement contractor and the fact that I'm not working in a municipality where this is prohibited. I work with a plumber who will tell me what he's willing to let me handle and what I shouldn't touch. You should start building similar relationships if you intend to stay in this business. They are immensely productive.

    If you buck this inspector in the position you're in now, you're putting a target on your back. The most likely course is that you're going to be publicly crucified on the most visible exterior wall of your property pour encourager les autres and your name and business information will be put in the informal database of known code enforcement scofflaws all the local municipality code enforcement departments in your area likely share. You'll be done renovating in your area. No statute of limitations, no appeal, just a kill order for any permits you can't do anything about. I've seen it happen up here.

    Thanks for posting, Christopher. I wish this wasn't happening to you, and I wish you the best of luck going forward with this ugly situation.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · North/Central Florida · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Thanks, @Kenneth Garrett, and yes I certainly didn't want to imply all inspectors are on a power trip. I can't generalize like that -- you are people, after all! :D Moreover, I can't generalize because all my knowledge on the attitudes of inspectors is hearsay anyway -- never met one. But it is true that certain industries can attract a larger population of a certain type of person than others. Also, the environment that can be created prior to the investor and inspector first meeting can make the two feel as if they are natural enemies, making for a rocky start.

    I do intend to work with the inspector. I really do want his help and knowledge. I've just been fearful of the repercussions. So, let me ask you this: I work with the inspector and let him in the house. Does the discussion go, "Oh, boy! Okay, you'll need a permit for this, this, this and that." Or "You should have already had a permit for this, this, this and that. Here's your list of fines. I'm red tagging this place because there's a live wire in a spot I don't like. And I'ma need you to get in that shed, so I can make you squeal like a pig, boy!"

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Christopher L.

    Thanks for the reply.  You are not going to be able stop the inspector from conducting a full inspection of the property,  He will ask you what work you have conducted and he will make his own observations and go from there.  Refusing him entry onto the property will only force a stop work order to be posted on the property and no one wins in that type of relationship.  Apologize for not getting the permit or not knowing one was required. 

    Just a FYI - The term Red Tag does not exist in the code.  It is a stop work order.  Red Tag came from the notices that were red.  

    Good Luck.

  • Investor · Canton, GA · Member since 2014 · 727 posts · 500 votes
    7y

    @Christopher Liffner

    $8K in rehab!?!, down to the studs?!?

    Sorry bud, but $8K is not even coming close to covering materials on a total gut job.

    In GA you can't pull a remodel permit on a property you don't inhabit, or plan to inhabit (signed affidavit). Not important personal name or held in LLC. I doubt FLA is much different, as they seem to like regs too.

    You need to hire a GC to do the work, go pull the remodel permits. He will get his trade subs to go pull their individual trade permits. The work will get done, permits in place, liabilities mitigated.

    Yes, this is going to cost money to move past this.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · North/Central Florida · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing your experience, @Natalie Schanne. And yes, if I didn't quite make it clear initially, never again will I overlook permits or be so trusting with handymen/contractors, in this town or any other. They truly protect everyone, and are not even that expensive -- lesson learned.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.