Really passionate about real estate investing business!

Really passionate about real estate investing business!

Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hello !

My name is Eva and I live in Athens , Greece ,I am 22 years old.

I am really interesting in learning the real estate investing business . Two years now , I am watching BiggerPockets ‘s webinars every week and read many books about flipping houses . This year I started to work in a real estate office to gain some experience , but I plan to go to US to learn by first hand how system works and live there .

I just wanted to ask you :

— Is any real estate investor that I could take part in his /her teaching group ? And if yes , what are the prerequisities ?

Thank you in advance.

Eva

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Steamboat Springs, CO · Member since 2014 · 278 posts · 100 votes
7y

@Silvanus B.

Hey Silvanus!  Good Question and one I personally had a difficult time answering for myself.  I reached out to a few "producers" and never heard back.  I had coffee with 2 or so and then the relationship fizzled.  I then set my keywords for what I was looking and searched the forums for mentorship and found some people that shared their success on the public forums.  

At this time when I was looking for someone to help/mentor me I had a duplex that was in such trouble I was seriously considering selling for a major loss and just walking away.  That is when I found a local mastermind group that was just being put together.  I went to the first meeting and stayed part of that group for over 2 years until I moved.  The group helped me turn my dueplex around into a cash flowing property.  And then I was able to buy my other properties (you can see them in my profile).

I still consider myself new and when I have a chance to talk real estate with someone who is way more advanced I listen and just ask questions.  They may not be willing to mentor me but I can always learn one or two things per conversation.

Tips for you starting out

1- learn from books. My earliest mentors were the knowledge from books recommended on this site.

2. join or start a mastermind group- find some others starting out and you will be amazed at the collective knowledge and support.

3. Go to your local meet ups. Even if you can't contribute yet you will hear/meet/learn a bunch.  People who are very successful like to share how they got there.

4. Podcasts - similar reasoning from the books

5. What I told Eva... do menial tasks for an investor that they don't want to do. It's human nature if someone does something for you then you feel obligated to do something nice in return.  You stuff envelopes and they give you knowledge. 

I hope that helps a bit. If you have more specific questions feel free to DM me.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Steamboat Springs, CO · Member since 2014 · 278 posts · 100 votes
    7y

    @Evangelia Tsibidi

    Hey Eva! Welcome to the community.  It is exciting to take the leap into real estate.  You are at a great age to start.  Biggerpockets is a great place to learn. In my opinion it has more value than most paid gurus that have a weekend seminar that you could attend.  Try to find a local who is investing and provide value to them.  Whether it is stuffing mailers for them or checking out potential properties and taking pictures for them.  The list is endless.  And someone that is in the business will teach you.  Until then keep going to the webinars and asking questions.  Good luck and welcome to the party! 

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Derek Diamond

    Mr. Derek I really appreciate your valuable advice and encouragement towards me .

    Although I am young , I am really passionate about real estate investing and I will try to start step by step to gain all the necessary experience .

    Hope all your goals be achieved !

    Best regards .

    Eva

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Derek Diamond I am also brand new to REI my question to you if you dont mind me asking, being new to the bigger pockets website how do I find local RE in my area on this site that are already advanced in the same thing i'm trying to do which is buy and hold ?

    Welcome @Evangelia Tsibidi and good luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Steamboat Springs, CO · Member since 2014 · 278 posts · 100 votes
    7y

    @Silvanus B.

    Hey Silvanus!  Good Question and one I personally had a difficult time answering for myself.  I reached out to a few "producers" and never heard back.  I had coffee with 2 or so and then the relationship fizzled.  I then set my keywords for what I was looking and searched the forums for mentorship and found some people that shared their success on the public forums.  

    At this time when I was looking for someone to help/mentor me I had a duplex that was in such trouble I was seriously considering selling for a major loss and just walking away.  That is when I found a local mastermind group that was just being put together.  I went to the first meeting and stayed part of that group for over 2 years until I moved.  The group helped me turn my dueplex around into a cash flowing property.  And then I was able to buy my other properties (you can see them in my profile).

    I still consider myself new and when I have a chance to talk real estate with someone who is way more advanced I listen and just ask questions.  They may not be willing to mentor me but I can always learn one or two things per conversation.

    Tips for you starting out

    1- learn from books. My earliest mentors were the knowledge from books recommended on this site.

    2. join or start a mastermind group- find some others starting out and you will be amazed at the collective knowledge and support.

    3. Go to your local meet ups. Even if you can't contribute yet you will hear/meet/learn a bunch.  People who are very successful like to share how they got there.

    4. Podcasts - similar reasoning from the books

    5. What I told Eva... do menial tasks for an investor that they don't want to do. It's human nature if someone does something for you then you feel obligated to do something nice in return.  You stuff envelopes and they give you knowledge. 

    I hope that helps a bit. If you have more specific questions feel free to DM me.

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Derek Diamond

    Mr. Derek , thank you for providing us with such encouraging words for starting our “journey” to real estate investing business !

    I am in a similar situation, where I started over a year now to work as a secretary to a real estate office , having no previous experience in the field . I am working trying to give value to the business, taking zero to no money . Many times I find myself disappointed since I feel that I lose valuable time . However a few months ago my boss announced me that we will do a deal together in order for me to learn the basic things about the market .

    Unfortunately due to bureaucracy in Greece this has been delayed .

    I am really looking for taking that deal done , so that I can proceed to my further ones , and start my dream !

    Really appreciate your time and I will take all your advice into account!

    Hope to meet you in the near future !

    Best regards.

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Silvanus Beckley

    Good luck to you too !

    Wishing you all the best !!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Evangelia Tsibidi:

    Hello !

    My name is Eva and I live in Athens , Greece ,I am 22 years old.

    I am really interesting in learning the real estate investing business . Two years now , I am watching BiggerPockets ‘s webinars every week and read many books about flipping houses . This year I started to work in a real estate office to gain some experience , but I plan to go to US to learn by first hand how system works and live there .

    I just wanted to ask you :

    — Is any real estate investor that I could take part in his /her teaching group ? And if yes , what are the prerequisities ?

    Thank you in advance.

    Eva

    Geia soy, Eva. Where do you live in Athens? I flipped apartments in Kallithea and the Plateia Attikis neighborhood of Athens proper in 2006-2007, before I came here. I now run rental properties in Western Pennsylvania. I think Athens has a lot of potential for a small investor, but we're going to have to see what reforms ND is going to try in the months ahead.

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Jim K.

    Γεια σας !

    Really great to receiving an answer from a Greek as well , who has experienced the situation here

    I live in Zografou area , Athens .I personally agree with you , that Athens has opportunities for small investors . As I have mentioned above , I am really interested in following the path of REI , since it gives you financial freedom!

    I work hard in a real estate office this year now reading books and attending seminars , podcasts and so on .My mentor (agent in the area ) has involved me in 1 deal , but things here are moving so slowly due to bureaucracy. I am planning to receive as much knowledge and experience I can ,acquire some money and build my own team here or move to US to experience from first hand the whole amazing process .

    I would like to ask you ,was your adjustment abroad easy ? And did you have any support from an expert there for your first deals ?

    If you don’t mind , I would like to keep in touch .

    I wish you all the best !!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.