One Thing You Wish You Knew Before Purchasing Your First Property

One Thing You Wish You Knew Before Purchasing Your First Property

Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 5 votes

I thought it would be a great conversation to see what that one piece of advice fellow investors wish they had before their first purchase. 

I think for me, I would've used a Property Management Company sooner. I think in the long run it would've even actually saved me money. Tenants tend to take advantage of owner landlords vs a company. 

2Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y

Oh, that's easy. My first property was a C-class SFR, built 1910. Never buy without immediate, significant cash reserves on hand.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 694 votes
    7y

    @Debbie Holland I've heard investors say they wish they would have made a move the first time something met all their criteria. They check back 2 months later and see the property they wanted cash flowing for someone else! So now they're stuck comparing everything to it! Identify what works for you and take the leap when something meets that goal. Every time you hesitate to remember that you decided this criteria when you were level headed! 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Oh, that's easy. My first property was a C-class SFR, built 1910. Never buy without immediate, significant cash reserves on hand.

  • Michael JonesPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 17 votes
    7y
    I just got my first rental property and I wish I would have accounted for repairs better. This proved to be difficult in a fast moving market and you have to act quickly. My cash flow is great, but my ROI is suffering a bit. So bottom line next time I am over estimating repair cost.
  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Since purchasing my first property I've learned the value of time. I thought I would DIY projects and save tons of cash. That was a mistake and affected my budget. Most of the time the projects take 3X longer and don't turnout as good as hiring a professional. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Invest as soon as you can, have cash reserves, double or triple repair estimates and know the value of your time and energy...great advice. 

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    If I had known what I know now, I may have not purchased that first home! But im glad I did. @Jaron Walling makes a good point. The DIY work isn't easy, I had to learn the hard way (youtube and lots of trial/error).

    But the number one thing I wish I had known, was to not over renovate. What is the most cost and time effective way to get something done? That has taken me a few projects to understand. 

  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    7y

    Yes on triple the time estimate for that diy job. 

  • Contractor · Melrose, FL · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 64 votes
    7y

    “Turn key” providers leave very little meat on the bone.

    If you’ve got 30 minutes a day you really don’t need them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.