How do you keep your expense receipts organized?

How do you keep your expense receipts organized?

Tampa FL, FL · Member since 2012 · 8 posts · 0 votes

As a new investor and someone who is meticulous with keeping things organized I'm just curious how all you experienced REI keep your expense receipts filed and organized?
Thanks,
Eric

0Reply
110 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
13y

Our system is very similar to that used by Aaron McGinnis.

I’ll add though that I have a Neat mobile scanner that doesn't leave my sight. I keep it in my backpack with my laptop and can scan anything anytime and anywhere I get some free time. This could be in an airplane or while watching TV. The important part is to keep up.

As soon as I get a receipt, I immediately write its purpose on the front. If it involves several categories or classes, I write those too. If you wait a day to do this I promise you won’t remember what it was for. In the case of deductible meals, I’ll note the attendees and business purpose of the expense on the back and anything else that’s relevant.

Everything gets scanned, front and back (if necessary) as a PDF and put into a Dropbox folder. I don’t use the Neat software because its proprietary and I can’t see receipts offline or on my phone. For the same reason, I don’t scan receipts into Quickbooks. Plus, I fear the QB file will become huge (yes?/no?).

Each pdf is labeled with the date of the expense or bill, the name, and the amount. For example:

2013 01 06 Lowes $27.33.pdf
Annotated with the property(ies)

2012 12 25 Verizon wireless $140.57.pdf

2012 08 23 BofA Deposit $4515.98.pdf
This pdf will include a scan of this receipt and previously scanned copies of the associated checks and stubs, plus any correspondence.

Sometimes I’ll add the date it was paid to the end of the name, especially for credit card receipts. This makes it very easy to find on a CC statement:

2013 01 10 La Vecchia $92.81 2013 01 27.pdf

Using year month day format keeps everything chronological.

I’m currently experimenting by adding these file names to the memo field in Quickbooks but it’s not clear that this is necessary (your thoughts?). As long as I have a date, name, or amount, I can easily locate a receipt in no time by doing a file search. Running a QB report of the relevant transactions is all I need to quickly gather receipt images. This also means I don’t need many Dropbox folders.

Then, all paper with anything identifiable on it gets thrown into a “to be destroyed” box and shredded about once a month. If you don’t know someone who uses a shredding service, you can bring a pile of receipts to Office Depot for a few dollars a pound and they’ll do it. I find that most normal home office shredders are just not heavy duty enough long term.

The best part is my desk has never looked cleaner and I can now run reports and find receipts in seconds.

It’s almost life-changing.

Jeff

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 121 posts · 28 votes
    13y

    When it comes to bookkeeping I highly recommend either:

    Outright.com

    or

    Indinero.com

    I've used both of them at one point (now I'm just using Outright.com) and they do an amazing job keeping track of all your transactions including expenses.

    Just make sure to sync up your business accounts (debit cards, credit cards) and it'll do the rest.

    Its really easy and super helpful...some people have called it a MUCH COOLER VERSION OF QUICKBOOKS :)

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    So I purchased a fujitsu scanner and started scanning all receipts. Created folders for 2012, 2013, etc. Then folders for the month. Then every receipt has date, place of purchase and dollar amount. Now when I need to know what I bought at home depot for$43.78 I can scan the computer for the amount.

    The worse thing about home depot's receipts is that their description for the items sucks. It's abbreviated/truncated so half of the time I have no idea what I bought.

    Love that scanner....

  • Lender · Davis, CA · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Rob Pene

    Why did you switch from Indinero to Outright? What is your line of business related to real estate? I have rentals I am looking for a bookkeeping solution that keeps my receipts digitally in an audit okayed format. Also, format needs to be easy for a bookkeeper to input everything into quickbooks for accountant or easy enough on its own where I can cut out the bookkeeper altogether. Do you also use a bookkeeper in conjunction with these services? Thanks!

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    As an investor I keep my Home Depot receipts perfectly organized from my Pro Xtra account, where are electronically store them and then import my statements to Quickbooks, just like that: http://bit.ly/keeprecorg

  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I keep a huge envelope in the car with me and put them in there.......i also take pics and email it to myself.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.