BRRRR refinance possible for new agents with no W2 income?

BRRRR refinance possible for new agents with no W2 income?

Real Estate Agent · Aberdeen, MD (21001) · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 10 votes

BP Community! I'm a newbie based near Baltimore who left his investment finance job to commit to real estate investing/sales full time. I'm most interested in implementing the BRRRR method with HML partners in my farm area to recycle and stretch my saved capital as best as possible, but I'm concerned about the refinance component. Having left my stable desk job, I no longer have W2 income and do not yet have 2 years of sales-related tax returns to help underwrite a conventional cash-out refinance.

Have other investors/agents run into this before, and if so, what options would you explore to overcome this hurdle? Any insights/suggestions would be much appreciated!

1Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
7y

partner with somebody who can get that refinance , otherwise you will have harder time to get it done.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
    7y

    partner with somebody who can get that refinance , otherwise you will have harder time to get it done.

  • Real Estate Agent · Aberdeen, MD (21001) · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ozzy Sirimsi:

    partner with somebody who can get that refinance , otherwise you will have harder time to get it done.

    Thanks, Ozzy! I'd been considering this recently but good to hear another's opinion. 

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    BRRRRrrrr is basically off the table. You can get the refi loan, yes, but the rate will be such that you are no longer cashflowing and the fees will be high too.

    More realistically, you can of course flip. Sell it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    You can refinance through a commercial/portfolio loan rather than a conventional Fannie/Freddie one.

    The rates/terms will be slightly less favorable but just underwrite the deal accordingly and see if it still works.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Everyone on this thread has brought up good options for you to explore. Just focus on buying a good deal in a good area so if you end up not being able to or not wanting to refinance you can always sell. Having multiple exit strategies is key in this business. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Aberdeen, MD (21001) · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Chris Mason @Brian Garrett @Michael Noto thanks for the input, guys! I appreciate it. I'll look into what the commercial/portfolio loan option looks like, but sounds like I may want to start with a few flips before busting out the BRRR, or find someone to partner with who can underwrite it. Good things to keep in mind as I line up my first deal.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.