One-Family to Three-Family? (NYC)

One-Family to Three-Family? (NYC)

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi all,

Is it possible to convert a one family townhouse into a three family townhouse? What would be the process I’d have to take and how much would it cost roughly?

0Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    Yes, it's possible. It can cost up to $14 million.

    Seriously, nobody can answer this question. How big is it? What community? What price point? What condition is it in? What experience do you have? Does city zoning allow for multiple units on this property?

    Your question is like asking how to play basketball, which would take an entire book just to get started. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Nathan G. Its a property that I'm currently looking at. Unfortunately I don't have much detail aside from the fact that it is a SFH and was approved to be a two family. The townhouse itself is 3 stories plus a basement.

    I’m fairly new to real estate so I’m trying to figure out where to start as far as finding out zoning and costs.

    Doesn’t seem like it would be as easy as a “slam dunk”...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.