Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Rachel Hertel
Votes |
How to determine a budget

Rachel Hertel
Posted Dec 7 2019, 12:56

My husband and I may be moving back home to Chicago in the near future. This time around, we would like to house hack. The idea is to buy a 3 or 4 flat in a neighborhood that we like (we like a lot of them!)

I think I've found myself in "analysis paralysis" very early on, because I'm stuck on the process of how to determine my budget. For our first house (currently our home in Nashville,) I simply used the 28% rule, more or less. 

I now am understanding that with investing, A. you can get creative with borrowing money, B. you don't need to put down 20%, and C. there are so many other factors to add to the equation. That being said, does anyone have suggestions on where to start? I know this is a big question with lots of variables, but I'd love any advice on how to set a budget. I think the idea that you can get creative with borrowing money is sort of throwing me for a loop.

If I can come up with a ballpark price point, I can then start to move forward with analyzing potential deals. I hope with some advice here, I can get the ball rolling. Thank you!

Loading replies...