Property turned into a wedding venue

Property turned into a wedding venue

Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes

I’ve read weddings can make 5-25k per wedding much more than any short term rental or traditional rental property. I’m simply renting out the property. Vendors such as florist, cake, tables, wedding planner is separate from my property ..? 
any thoughts or suggestions are welcome 🙏😊 

7Reply
307 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 14 votes
6y

I started looking into wedding venues when my sister was touring farms that charged $4k for 10 hours to rent a tent on a piece of their land.  $7k+ if you have a barn. Oh, and they're booked every weekend for the next year. I thought to myself this is the greatest real estate investment ever!

To the naysayers: no, this is not running a wedding business. The wedding couple hires people to do everything else, you just rent the land and/or barn. 

I was surprised by the lack of support and information on BP about this. You're right to look into the zoning because from my research that's the biggest hurdle. Every county has their own rules. Someone near me was converting an old barn into a wedding venue and the county wanted them to put in a $200k sprinkler system with water holding tank and backup generator! This shouldn't stop you, but definitely do your homework ahead of time.

This is the best (and pretty much only) book I found on the subject and I thought it gave a good intro to the business:

https://www.amazon.com/Rural-P...

Good luck! Keep me posted on your success because I may be trying the same thing on the east coast.

See this reply in the discussion

71 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Unless you have an incredibly nice property you won't get many if any takers, At that point you are running a business not real estate investing.  Any property you already own is likely either a bad investment if it would work as a wedding venue, or a bad wedding venue because it works as an investment, in a different capacity.

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    It’s a ranch 2.5 acres and after some local research the demand for farm wedding venues in Las Vegas has a very low supply. 
    I believe there is a need for venues as such. 
    it really comes down to advertisment  however I do appreciate your input. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Shakopee, MN · Member since 2015 · 985 posts · 374 votes
    6y

    There is a ton of work that goes into turning a property into a wedding venue.  One thing that is very expensive is insurance.

    My suggestion would be to tour a property near you that is also used as a wedding venue.  It should give you somewhat of an idea on what to expect.  You will also want to check with your local laws.  I know near me some orchards are not allowed to have weddings on the grounds and they have hundreds of acres.

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    Yes I toured a property called legends ranch (the only ranch wedding venue in the city) and they charge 10-25k per wedding depending on the number of guests. The beauty of my property is that there are no neighbors to the right left behind and the land in across the street is for sale. I also have 0.45 acres for parking. All I need to do now is call the county and ask for zoning information and code requirements for event spaces 👍🏼 



  • Contractor · Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2016 · 917 posts · 266 votes
    6y

    @Denisse Lara

    Good idea! We have many of these in WI. They are making money. Don t forget you can use this for other things besides weddings; corporate parties, vendor parties at conventions, school functions, sports alumni gatherings.  Many companies And trade groups hold national conventions in Vegas. Make it big enough to hold two 500 gatherings or a 1,000 person event.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Denisse Lara:

    I’ve read weddings can make 5-25k per wedding much more than any short term rental or traditional rental property. I’m simply renting out the property. Vendors such as florist, cake, tables, wedding planner is separate from my property ..? 
    any thoughts or suggestions are welcome 🙏😊 

    Hi Denisse,

    Ask yourself -- do (a lot of) people in your area typically spend $25,000 to rent a venue for a wedding?

    So much of the media is lies, it's hard to tell what's the truth from what they simply make up--Beware of what you read.

    Good Luck!

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    In LAS VEGAS tons but the average rate for out of casino venues is between 5-10k. I’ve have spent the last month touring venues, finding out about booking availability most are 3 months out especially on or near the strip however what intrigues me the most is the lack of ranch farm style venues in Las Vegas. Alright enough talk. I’m going to begin the special use permit and I look forward to giving everyone an update with hopefully great gains 🙏👏

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    I started looking into wedding venues when my sister was touring farms that charged $4k for 10 hours to rent a tent on a piece of their land.  $7k+ if you have a barn. Oh, and they're booked every weekend for the next year. I thought to myself this is the greatest real estate investment ever!

    To the naysayers: no, this is not running a wedding business. The wedding couple hires people to do everything else, you just rent the land and/or barn. 

    I was surprised by the lack of support and information on BP about this. You're right to look into the zoning because from my research that's the biggest hurdle. Every county has their own rules. Someone near me was converting an old barn into a wedding venue and the county wanted them to put in a $200k sprinkler system with water holding tank and backup generator! This shouldn't stop you, but definitely do your homework ahead of time.

    This is the best (and pretty much only) book I found on the subject and I thought it gave a good intro to the business:

    https://www.amazon.com/Rural-P...

    Good luck! Keep me posted on your success because I may be trying the same thing on the east coast.

  • Attorney · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    You'll need to be sure you can get the zoning you want to run a commercial business at whatever property your looking at.  Residential neighbors won't appreciate a high traffic business down the street from their house.  If you have to change the zoning, the process is involved and will require neighborhood meetings.  You'll need a lawyer that specializes in that sort of thing.

    I have friends that converted their high end short term vacation rental into a wedding and meeting venue and they had to jump through all of these hoops.  There does seem to be a fairly strong market for this sort of thing.  

    https://lotus.vegas/

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    Thank you. We just got approved for a special use permit. It’s 5 acres and the barn is 9000 sq ft all inclosed. There is onlY 1 neighbor to the right everything else is vacant land which we plan to purchase as well. Thank you for your feedback. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Well, I am not sure why so many people have objections.

    There is nothing nicer than pure nature.

    I am telling you woman! Think vineyard, flowers, bees butterflies, bring out the beauty of nature,  and I can't see why a barn wouldn't be the perfect wedding venue.

    I am allergic to marriages... but if some green  3 boobbied smeksie alien lured me into marriage and she showed me this

    I think I would say "I do"..

    maybe..

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    I’d be a sucker too 😂

  • Specialist · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 587 posts · 269 votes
    6y

    @Denisse Lara I wish you a ton of success with your purchase! Yes, it's risky but totally not crazy! rustic wedding are becoming a huge thing. Please keep me posted! 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Denisse Lara:

    I’d be a sucker too 😂

     Oh for the sake of the monkey gods.

    Drool

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I would not have thought of Las Vegas as a place to go for a barn wedding!  I would think of that area as a place to go for the bright lights and flashy wedding.

    Is that a popular or desirable type of wedding in that area?

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    I absolutely will ! @amyaziz

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Hannon:

    I started looking into wedding venues when my sister was touring farms that charged $4k for 10 hours to rent a tent on a piece of their land.  $7k+ if you have a barn. Oh, and they're booked every weekend for the next year. I thought to myself this is the greatest real estate investment ever!

    To the naysayers: no, this is not running a wedding business. The wedding couple hires people to do everything else, you just rent the land and/or barn. 

    I was surprised by the lack of support and information on BP about this. You're right to look into the zoning because from my research that's the biggest hurdle. Every county has their own rules. Someone near me was converting an old barn into a wedding venue and the county wanted them to put in a $200k sprinkler system with water holding tank and backup generator! This shouldn't stop you, but definitely do your homework ahead of time.

    This is the best (and pretty much only) book I found on the subject and I thought it gave a good intro to the business:

    https://www.amazon.com/Rural-P...

    Good luck! Keep me posted on your success because I may be trying the same thing on the east coast.

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    Yes in my area barn weddings range from 7-15k. I also believe it is the greatest real estate investment ever because as the owner you are only providing the venue. 
    Thank you so much for the book recommendation. I bought it last week 😎

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Todd Goedeke:

    @Denisse Lara

    Good idea! We have many of these in WI. They are making money. Don t forget you can use this for other things besides weddings; corporate parties, vendor parties at conventions, school functions, sports alumni gatherings.  Many companies And trade groups hold national conventions in Vegas. Make it big enough to hold two 500 gatherings or a 1,000 person event.

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    Absolutely! That is the objective.. a venue for all types of events. Corporate retreats, birthdays, anniversaries the list goes on and on. My barn can hold up to 300 guests.. However I can convert the horse arena into  a much larger venue space. Thank you for the feedback! 

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Denisse Lara:

    I’d be a sucker too 😂

     Oh for the sake of the monkey gods.

    Drool

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    Monkeys gods and 3 boobied aliens.. would  love to be a guest at your wedding 😂

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Lynnette E.:

    I would not have thought of Las Vegas as a place to go for a barn wedding!  I would think of that area as a place to go for the bright lights and flashy wedding.

    Is that a popular or desirable type of wedding in that area?

  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    Yes that is why in this city a barn wedding is so appealing because everything is flashy lights on the strip. There is nothing like that here 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Denisse Lara:

    Monkeys gods and 3 boobied aliens.. would  love to be a guest at your wedding 😂

     No...

    you don't!! Believe me.

    And don't swear here in  public.

    "your wedding"... 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.