House Hacking Question - Split Level Ranch

House Hacking Question - Split Level Ranch

New to Real Estate · Manchester, NH · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 1 vote

I recently purchased the split-level ranch that I was renting the bottom half of. The former landlord (now my tenant) plans on moving in a year or so, and I realized that I may have an issue that needs crafty marketing and/or renovations to solve. The house has 3 bedrooms on the first floor, and 2 in the lower level. The first floor has a full bathroom, and the lower level only has a half bathroom (toilet and sink). The current tenant and I have it written in the lease agreement that the first-floor kitchen and bathroom are common areas.

Now, the obvious best option is the renovate the lower level to make it have at least a 1 3/4 bathroom (and there is room to do so) as well as adding a small kitchen area, but current available finances are the issue.

So, in the meantime, how would you recommend marketing a first floor with such a setup? Have any of you had to deal with this type of situation before? Also, if it helps, there are several colleges in my area, so maybe there’s a marketing avenue there?

Note: I plan on living in the lower level for at least a few years while it gets renovated and eventually have it be its own, fully independent unit. The current goal is to House-Hack to live essentially mortgage free and use my day job for renovations.

0Reply
31 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 729 votes
    6y

    @Robert Tucker I house-hack a split level with 4 bedrooms and we all share a kitchen with no issue. The lack of shower in the basement is your real issue, would you be able to afford that renovation before your current tenant upstairs leaves? Once they do, I would rent out all of the rooms upstairs individually. 

  • New to Real Estate · Manchester, NH · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Daniel Haberkost I likely wont be able to afford it this year. I will likely have to advertise it as is and improve it under new tenants (bonus for them I suppose). I still have to get estimates on this job but based on previous experiences, I'm guessing it'll cost $10K+. 

    I was hoping to be able to target a young professional family demographic but I may have to change it up and look at renting individual rooms like you said. At least until each unit can truly stand alone. 3 bedrooms, 3 lease agreements, 3 tenants with 3 sets of issues to deal with. But hey, that's the game, right?  

    How would one word such an arrangement? "3 Bedrooms for rent, Shared kitchen and Bathroom"? Something simple to that effect?

  • Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 80 votes
    5y

    Hey how did you make out/end up with your house? Did you eventually renovate it to have each unit with separate showers kitchens etc.? Or are you still saving for the work? I’m considering purchasing a split level house in ny as an alternate option to buying a duplex. It’s essentially the same thing as a duplex. There are split level raised ranch duplexes in my market but it’s not as efficient being that a single family would obviously not be zoned multi family giving them their own mailbox ie. 123 Main Street A and 123 Main Street B. Plus the issue you’re having with not having fully separate amenities so I’m wondering if you just had to bite the bullet and keep renting it out with shared living spaces or did you find a solution!? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.