Asking seller's agent to find me different property as my agent?

Asking seller's agent to find me different property as my agent?

Accountant · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hi, I'm a prospective first time home-buyer (please forgive my ignorance) looking to house-hack;  I recently visited an open house, liked the house, and really liked the ideas that the seller's agent had on how I could cash flow the place. I can tell that he's a guy that I'd like to work with in the future. The problem is I'm worried about buying this house from him because he has a fiduciary duty to get his client the highest price; but would it be proper/common to ask him if he'd be willing to find other properties for me and act as my real estate agent in a buying position? 

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Will Clift

    Sure, I'm sure he'd be happy to say yes or tell you why his broker won't let him act as a buyer's agent. Either way, no social covenant you are breaking by asking.

  • Contractor · Lexington SC · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 46 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Will Clift:

    Hi, I'm a prospective first time home-buyer (please forgive my ignorance) looking to house-hack;  I recently visited an open house, liked the house, and really liked the ideas that the seller's agent had on how I could cash flow the place. I can tell that he's a guy that I'd like to work with in the future. The problem is I'm worried about buying this house from him because he has a fiduciary duty to get his client the highest price; but would it be proper/common to ask him if he'd be willing to find other properties for me and act as my real estate agent in a buying position? 

     I don't see any problem with that and as a matter of fact, open houses are usually done to generate buyer leads. 

    In our market, a very small percent of homes actually sell from open houses.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Will Clift  If you like the house, then get your own realtor to help you put in an offer.  If you didn't like the house, but liked the realtor, then by all means talk to them about showing you other properties.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.