Newbie investor in Cincinnati seeking advice on direction

Newbie investor in Cincinnati seeking advice on direction

New to Real Estate · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 0 votes

Looking to invest for passive income in Cincy. I'm brand new to this and can go in any direction at this point. I'm educating myself on different paths and it seems like there are many directions to go and be successful. What market (Buy & hold single family/multi family, storage, mobile home, etc) would people recommend that isn't over saturated and would not be overwhelming for a brand new investor? 

0Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 170 posts · 102 votes
6y

Hey @Mark Elder welcome to BP and the Cincinnati investing community!

If your primary interest is passive income, then I recommend you focus on finding great partners instead of great markets. There are a lot of high-quality investors in Cincy and the surrounding areas who would be able to help you get a solid return on your money without you needing to develop the expertise they already have. And for operators like us it's very beneficial to partner with people like you because it allows us to do more of what we're already already good at when we have access to more capital. 

Happy to connect if you'd like! And/Or to refer some great people I know!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Durham, NC · Member since 2018 · 157 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    Hi Mark, it's worthwhile to do a personal audit and reflection and decide how much time, knowledge, energy, and money you want or are able to put in to determine which REI strategy to pursue. The famous question of "what's your why?" can dictate your "how." Everything requires work and everything requires connections and networking. I suggest visiting local meet ups in Cincy and observing the action then aligning yourself with folks and strategies that work for you. Good luck!

  • Property Manager · Shelbyville, IN · Member since 2014 · 303 posts · 161 votes
    6y

    @Mark Elder asking for direction right?

    Head NW to Indy, and stop in Greensburg and Shelbyville on your way!

    Sorry, had to lol. I hear good things of Cincinnati, and I'm sure the other realtors there will chime in soon.

  • New to Real Estate · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Courtney Rollins Thank you! Just checked in on the Cincinnati REIA and plan on attending. Appreciate your response!

    @Justin Polston lol, no s. Appreciate the reply!

  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 146 votes
    6y

    I would also recommend the Joe Fairless meeting in Cincinnati last Tuesday of the month. 

    Also I think all markets are saturated at this point with investors.  Very competitive.   Every one is searching for a good return.  

  • New to Real Estate · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Paul Sian thank you for the reply. Hadn’t heard of the Joe Fairless meetings. I’ll be sure to check that one out too. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 170 posts · 102 votes
    6y

    Hey @Mark Elder welcome to BP and the Cincinnati investing community!

    If your primary interest is passive income, then I recommend you focus on finding great partners instead of great markets. There are a lot of high-quality investors in Cincy and the surrounding areas who would be able to help you get a solid return on your money without you needing to develop the expertise they already have. And for operators like us it's very beneficial to partner with people like you because it allows us to do more of what we're already already good at when we have access to more capital. 

    Happy to connect if you'd like! And/Or to refer some great people I know!

  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hey @Mark Elder I'm glad to hear that you are ready to start looking at real estate as a possible investment vehicle. 

    The answer does depend on how much time, energy, and money you are willing to invest as well as your personal risk tolerance, and investing philosophy. Personally me and my investors like multifamily because of the ability to scale quickly. For example we went from a single duplex to 175 doors in less than 3 years and with almost no experience. I personally think RE investors are only limited by there ability and capacity to learn themselves or find people who have already learned that are willing to share.  

    Cincinnati is currently getting a ton of attention from investors nationwide so the playing field is competitive but I wouldn't let that stop you. 

    I think the reality is that none of these are really that "passive" but mobile home and self storage may have less local competition.

    I would do a deep dive into each one and then see which one best aligns with your current goals and interests. Each type will have their pros and cons. Something will eventually click for you and you will know exactly where you need to be.

    Good Luck! 

  • Member since 2018 · 208 posts · 90 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mark Elder:

    Looking to invest for passive income in Cincy. I'm brand new to this and can go in any direction at this point. I'm educating myself on different paths and it seems like there are many directions to go and be successful. What market (Buy & hold single family/multi family, storage, mobile home, etc) would people recommend that isn't over saturated and would not be overwhelming for a brand new investor? 

     Mark - welcome to the site! My advice, if your goal is passive income, is to find an operator (someone who puts together and operates real estate investment deals), and partner up with them. It doesn't matter so much where that operator is located. You can be in cincy, and invest with someone who is buying in Florida and make great passive returns. 

  • New to Real Estate · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Heshel Mangel thank you for your advice. I don’t think I’m brave enough to go out of town on my first property. Probably doesn’t matter but I’d feel better about the deal if I am able to see it myself. Maybe as I gain more confidence I can move in that direction.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 170 posts · 102 votes
    6y

    Hey @Evan Polaski plase connect with @Mark Elder about the meetup if you haven't already. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.