Real Estate Investing in West Virginia

Real Estate Investing in West Virginia

Hunter FerrariPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Charleston, WV · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 8 votes

I am a life-long resident of West Virginia and will more than likely always stay in WV. Does anyone on here currently invest in any properties in WV? Just wondering how the market is in the state or if I should shift my focus to other areas.

2Reply
80 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Huntington, Barboursville · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 29 votes
6y

I live and invest in the Huntington/ Barboursville market. There are plenty of markets in the state which can meet the 1% rule. All of my rentals fall in the 1% to 1.5% rule, including a newly built 8 unit complex in Barboursville, WV.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hurricane, WV · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Hunter Ferrari

    I live and invest in WV. I do buy and hold single families for cash flow and tax benefits. You have to be very selective of the sub market you want to be in.

  • Hunter FerrariPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Charleston, WV · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @Edwin Rodriguez

    That is good to hear! Maybe we could connect sometime! I am new to this and I am willing and ready to learn.

  • Investor · Huntington, Barboursville · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 29 votes
    6y

    I live and invest in the Huntington/ Barboursville market. There are plenty of markets in the state which can meet the 1% rule. All of my rentals fall in the 1% to 1.5% rule, including a newly built 8 unit complex in Barboursville, WV.

  • Real Estate Agent · Beckley, WV · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 42 votes
    6y

    Do you have an idea of what your intended investment strategy would be?

  • Hunter FerrariPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Charleston, WV · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Hosea

    I am currently in the works of buying my first rental property. I am mostly interested in rentals but will plan doing doing an occasional flip when it makes more sense.

  • Real Estate Agent · Beckley, WV · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 42 votes
    6y

    I'm not super familiar with the Charleston Market but I feel that the rental market is on the rise in West Virginia as a whole. @Peter Tu is a local agent in the Charleston area and could give you specific information that could be of interest. In general, rentals are a great place to start though. 

    What are the conditions of the homes that you are looking at ? Will you have to do any work before a tenant is placed, or are you looking for something turn-key? These are important questions because renovations can quickly eat away at your budget especially if you don't have a trustworthy contractor. Also, don't stress over making your rental immaculate UNLESS you are in an area where new fixtures, flooring, etc are necessary for the price point because it's a good chance your tenants are going to F*** it up anyway lol or put more nicely not treat your things with the same care as you would. 


    Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions or curious about the Beckley market!


  • Hunter FerrariPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Charleston, WV · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    Thank you Anthony! The property I am making an offer on is turn-key. Is Peter a BP member? If not can you message me his contact info?

  • Investor · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Can somebody share their experience in  Lewisburg WV? Is investing in real estate  in  Lewisburg a good idea? I invested in  real estate in different states and considering invest in WV and may be moving to Lewisburg...

  • Real Estate Agent · Mount Nebo, WV · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    @Natasha Chib

    Lewisburg will always have a good investment market because of the WVSOM - school of osteopathic medicine. I know med students are always looking for apartments.

    Best options in lewisburg are probably student housing, scrape-and-build, new multifamily, or flips.

    Tim

  • Investor · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks a lot Timothy, I want to buy in Alderson, 20 min from Lewisburg and rent  a couple of years and may be move their later. Any thoughts about Alderson?

  • Flipper · Charleston, WV · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    I've been investing in WV real estate for 3 years. We do fix and flips in select neighborhoods, buy and hold properties are great for cash flow here. We own multiple rental portfolios, manage our own properties, and always looking for new investments.

  • Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jordan Crist:

    I've been investing in WV real estate for 3 years. We do fix and flips in select neighborhoods, buy and hold properties are great for cash flow here. We own multiple rental portfolios, manage our own properties, and always looking for new investments.

    Anyone can recommend a Property Manager in Clarksburg and Charleston WV.


  • New to Real Estate · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Edwin Rodriguez:

    @Hunter Ferrari

    I live and invest in WV. I do buy and hold single families for cash flow and tax benefits. You have to be very selective of the sub market you want to be in.

    Hi, are you looking to buy in Williamson? I have a 3 bed 1 bath 1,300 sqft single family for sale. Located on a mountain side. It’s currently listed at $40,000. Let me know I need help selling this thing asap. 
  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    @Nick Pries is it still available?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.