EIN# for Property LLC under a Holding LLC

EIN# for Property LLC under a Holding LLC

Member since 2020 · 82 posts · 4 votes

When you have a Property LLC owned by a single member Holding LLC, how do you obtain an EIN# for it? Do you apply for the EIN# using your SSN as the member and owner of the Holding LLC or you obtain it by using the Holding LLC EIN#?

And how do you open a bank account for the Property LLC when it is owned and managed by the member (Holding LLC)?

0Reply
166 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Broward County, FL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
6y
Originally posted by @Mike Jones:

I see. I don't mind applying using my ssn#, just want to do it the right way. I had to use my ssn# when i applied to the EIN of the holding LLC. One other question that come to mind is, how do I open a bank account for the Property LLC if its owned by the Holding LLC and member managed by it? The holding LLC is a manager managed and I am the manager owner. Property LLC is single member managed and 100% owned by the Holding. I am not on the Property LLC. Being the owner and manager of the Holding LLC gives me right to the Property LLC?

The bank will want the EIN for that LLC.

They will want to see the operating agreement and articles of organization.

The member/manager is your holding. You are the manager of the holding; so when you sign for the property LLC you can sign:

for Property LLC, by John Doe as Manager of Holding LLC, member/manager of Property LLC

The bank will probably also need to see document from the holding LLC showing that you are the manager.

You may also be asked a resolution from Property LLC to open a bank account.

In my case, my holding LLC and properties LLC accounts are in the same bank (easier to do instant online transfer from the same login). So they already have all the information for my holding, and when I am adding a new property LLC, they just need the documents for the LLC and they link it immediately to the holding. I don't even have to go to the branch anymore, I just email them the article of organization, sign a few online documents and a few days later my new bank account is ready to be used.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 82 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Afsheen S.

    I would say If your stage doesn’t disclose managers names thn that may be the way to go. Most states do disclose that information that is why the property llc is set up as member managed.

    Documents aren’t signed everyday, so Personally don’t think it will be too much of a deal to sign regardless of how long the signature maybe.

    I wonder if a signature stamp maybe used 🤔. Anybody use them?

  • Member since 2020 · 82 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Mike S.

    I get your point, @Mike S. All makes sense the way you lay it out.

    @Clint Coons way of signing as shown below makes sense now.

    Property LLC

    —————

    By John Doe, manager of holding LLC as it member manager.

    Or

    Property LLC

    By Holding LLC, managing member

    ________________________

    By John Doe, Manager

  • Clint CoonsPro Member
    Attorney · WA · Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 59 votes
    6y

    @Afsheen S.. One of the main benefits in using the WY LLC is providing anonymity for your state-specific LLC. To set up your state-specific LLC with anonymity you must structure the sate specific LLC as member-managed. On the other hand, if the state-specific LLC does not disclose the managers or members then you do as you described.

  • Member since 2020 · 82 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    In MA the in state LLC must disclose at least one name of a Manager. They do not list the members. So @Client WY will have to be listed as a Manager in this case... Makes sense??

    Can I just list myself as the Manage on the MA LLC, that way I can sign docs with disclosing WY on the docs. Whats the harm??

  • Rental Property Investor · Aldie, VA · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I am applying EIN for my Property LLC that has only one member that is my Holding LLC, shall I apply EIN as a single member LLC or partnership? When I try to establish it as a single member LLC then it automatically takes my name as the single owner. Please guide:

    Step 1 : Shall I select Sole proprietor /Partnership/ LLC

    Step 2: Shall I select "I am a responsible and duly authorized partner or general partner of this " OR "I am a third party applying for an EIN on behalf of this."

    Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Hi @Mike Jones, how did you end up creating the EIN for your subsidiary LLC? I have also have a holding LLC that is the sole member of the property LLC. Working on creating the EIN for the property LLC now.

    Thanks. This was a helpful thread that you started.

  • Member since 2020 · 82 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul Chintawat:

    Hi @Mike Jones, how did you end up creating the EIN for your subsidiary LLC? I have also have a holding LLC that is the sole member of the property LLC. Working on creating the EIN for the property LLC now.

    Thanks. This was a helpful thread that you started.


     I applied for it under the subsidiary and if I remember correctly, I had to  list myself as the responsible party. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mike Jones:
    Quote from @Paul Chintawat:

    Hi @Mike Jones, how did you end up creating the EIN for your subsidiary LLC? I have also have a holding LLC that is the sole member of the property LLC. Working on creating the EIN for the property LLC now.

    Thanks. This was a helpful thread that you started.


     I applied for it under the subsidiary and if I remember correctly, I had to  list myself as the responsible party. 

     Thank you @Mike Jones. I appreciate the quick response. Hopefully your real estate investments are going well.

  • Member since 2020 · 82 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul Chintawat:
    Quote from @Mike Jones:
    Quote from @Paul Chintawat:

    Hi @Mike Jones, how did you end up creating the EIN for your subsidiary LLC? I have also have a holding LLC that is the sole member of the property LLC. Working on creating the EIN for the property LLC now.

    Thanks. This was a helpful thread that you started.


     I applied for it under the subsidiary and if I remember correctly, I had to  list myself as the responsible party. 

     Thank you @Mike Jones. I appreciate the quick response. Hopefully your real estate investments are going well.


     You're welcome. Its going well, thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.