What is (or was) your biggest challenge when investing in RE?

What is (or was) your biggest challenge when investing in RE?

New to Real Estate · South Africa · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote

As the saying goes: smart people learn from their mistakes, wise people learn from other's mistakes. 

I'd love to hear some of the challenges and hardships people face (or have faced) when investing in real estate.

I'm looking forward to what everyone has to say!

1Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Matthew Daniel Langner:

As the saying goes: smart people learn from their mistakes, wise people learn from other's mistakes. 

I'd love to hear some of the challenges and hardships people face (or have faced) when investing in real estate.

I'm looking forward to what everyone has to say!

 My biggest challenge is and was having the equity to be able to out the required 20 or 25% down. Takes me a long time to build up that money. Hope that helps!

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Daniel Langner:

    As the saying goes: smart people learn from their mistakes, wise people learn from other's mistakes. 

    I'd love to hear some of the challenges and hardships people face (or have faced) when investing in real estate.

    I'm looking forward to what everyone has to say!

     My biggest challenge is and was having the equity to be able to out the required 20 or 25% down. Takes me a long time to build up that money. Hope that helps!

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Matthew Daniel Langner

    Honestly, my biggest challenge was me. The mental adjustment it took to be able to take a risk and step outside my comfort zone was rough at first.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Lansing, MI · Member since 2011 · 356 posts · 306 votes
    6y

    Accepting that others will not treat your property, or watch out for your financial welfare, the way you do.

  • Member since 2018 · 200 posts · 123 votes
    6y

    Biggest challenge was just having the guts to make the first deal. A lot of people do all the research but never take the plunge.  I mostly buy-and-hold.  If you do your homework and have good numbers, it really is pretty simple. Run the numbers. The numbers don't lie.

  • New to Real Estate · South Africa · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    I appreciate the insights and advice. Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply!

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Once you find something that checks most of the boxes, pulling the trigger with no hesitation. Those who can't either never land a deal or never land a good deal because they hesitate and it gets scooped up. Will you trust your research and preparation when that time comes? That's a big part of it. 

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    The biggest challenge beyond buying the first deal was/is not stooping to the level of some of the tenants we've inherited. Some of these tenants are the most petty, rude and disrespectful people I've come across. In my younger days I would have dropped to their level and played ball, but I've done a 180 and "take the high road" now that I operate CT Property Management. There's no space for that these days. These days it's "yes sir, no ma'am" with no BS in between. Tenants will be rude, but that doesn't mean I have to give it back. I've learned that the fire goes out much quicker if you don't feed it. 

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Matthew Daniel Langner

    Most beginners and I’ll add myself to the list are as follows:

    1. Lack of equity

    2. Pure fear

    3. Are my numbers correct

    I studied for a year watching what other people did. Both flipping and buy n holds. I did my research, trusted my numbers, found a private lender and took the plunge. Don't get me wrong there was a ton of anxiety. First project was a BRRRR, a few hiccups but went pretty smooth. 6 week rehab (thought it would be 4), found tenant in 2 weeks (that went really smooth, although with screening you never know), refinance 8 weeks (don't really understand what takes so long but it went fine). I didn't have a heart attack or go bankrupt. You will survive and the next one is so much easier, much less stress and anxiety.

  • New to Real Estate · South Africa · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    I am starting to see a common theme, being fear, for first time investors. Personally, I am currently struggling to find the deals themselves and getting a funnel of deals coming my way.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 385 posts · 702 votes
    6y

    Funding was our biggest challenge when we started off. Finding the right bank is not as easy as it sounds, banks will make you jump through hoops then not fulfill their end of the bargain. It was ridiculously frustrating as a new investor. 

  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Actually pulling the trigger on the first one is the hardest part. You can become the best deal analyzer in the world and still never pull the trigger on the first deal!

  • New to Real Estate · South Africa · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    I'll be sure not to make that mistake, thank you for the reply!

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    6y

    Being able to distinguish between what I know, and what I think I know. 

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Matthew Daniel Langner

    I thought it was capital when I started but I realized it was actually deals that were the limiting factor. I think the biggest issue I see with new investors is knowing when a deal is a deal. They think they want off market leads but the skill isn’t off market leads, it’s knowing when a deal is good, FOR YOU. If it’s a deal for you jump on it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.