New Investor Stationed Overseas (Japan)

New Investor Stationed Overseas (Japan)

New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 3 votes

Good evening BP!

My name is Matt and before anything else, I’m stoked to finally post this bio and share my intentions with you all.

I’m enlisted in the US Air Force. I’m an E-5 married to another enlisted military member and we are currently stationed overseas at Misawa Air Base, Japan. I work on F-16’s and I am actively pursuing a 20+ year career with the Air Force.

I’m young-ish (26) and extremely motivated to get started in real estate investing.

Throughout the last year or so, I’ve been doing a lot of research, (books, podcasts, YouTube) along with meeting face to face with several enlisted members with real estate experience, all in the name of procuring as much knowledge as possible before diving in head first to our first property.

There are several styles of investing that stood out above the rest, those include house hacking, BRRRR, buy and hold, and most appealing, multi family housing.

I would love to take advantage of my earlier years in the military and start out as soon as possible.

I’d be very interested in learning more from investors who have experience investing in military towns, having military tenants, investing from overseas locations, and obviously, other enlisted (or officers) military members.

Currently, I do not have a particular market I want to pursue. I know that is a downfall and I’m actively researching different markets to find one that is desirable to us.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I look forward to hearing from you and attending countless BP meetups in the future!

Thank you,

Matt Teegarden

3Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Hello Matt!  I am currently reading a book by David Greene, who has been selected to appearances on BP.  He stressed using the same way of evaluating and using subject area Team members that seem truthful including that City's building officials that can tell you what to expect and local realtors willing to give you current growth issues as well as the pricing levels.

    You want to purchase in "hot areas" and in the U.S.A..  It's best to purchase at the lower price levels but a good deal can work at any level.  I believe in starting when you are fairly young and/or confident with your knowledge.  Enjoy what you are doing and use local area help including the property management.

    I would suggest that you do Buy and Hold and some Quick Flips.  Buy and Hold may be the best way to go tax   The Depreciating might offset your income and owe no taxes and figure the Quick Flips on treating it's income as Ordinary Income when evaluating.  I do believe in trying to use Veteran discounts but I would not focus on that in every deal.

    The highest and best usage should be one of your top considerations.  Do not count on anything that is not law.  Do not assume that anything will happen unless it is being done by someone you can trust.  I appreciate what you are doing for this country.

    Who the hell am I anyway?  Well I grew up in Dallas, Texas.  I was a construction manager and a licensed real estate broker in Texas for about 30 years.  I have lived around Dallas for about 58 years and I spent about 5 in Denton going to college getting a business degree with honors in Business that emphasized real estate.

    Good luck to both of you!

  • Marcus LongPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Leawood, KS · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 104 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed ~ Great to see you on here and getting started at a young age! I've been investing in buy and hold for a number of years, mostly near my hometown in Missouri. However, I've been stationed in England for almost a year now and I've actually done significantly more investing this year than I ever have in the same time period previously. Since I moved here, I have bought buy and hold, provided private lending, and am a Limited Partner in a Mobile Home Park syndication. I'm happy to share my experiences if you want to chat sometimes.

    In addition to Bigger Pockets, you might consider also checking out @David Pere's From Military to Millionaire or Active Duty Passive Income. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.