21 and eager, Where should I start?

21 and eager, Where should I start?

Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 3 votes

I am 21 and have a wife and child. I have done a lot of research and I want to acquire rental properties in about 3 years. I have to get some things in line before I can start, but I want to be as prepared as possible. I am currently wondering:

-How can I find out if an area is right for a rental property?

-Where should I begin investing in the state? (In other words, where is the tried and true areas to invest in? I assume metro areas like Grand Rapids, Lansing, Detroit, etc. are the prime areas for rentals?)

-Lastly, Is their any active LL's and investors in MI that have turned rentals, or other forms of "passive income" investments, into their main income recently? If so, what was the biggest hurdle that you had overcome to reach that point in your investment career?

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for your time.

Joe Kilchermann Jr.

1Reply
77 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

I think one of the best things you can do is to find a mentor in your area and learn from them. You will, of course, be able to learn a great amount from BiggerPockets but finding someone who is doing what you want to be doing is one of the quickest way to learn. 

I also suggest talking to local lenders and realtors to get a better opinion of which city/area might fit your investing goals the best. @Joe Kilchermann

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Thank you sir, I have been listening to them. Very informational indeed. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.