Abilene, TX Long Distance Rental Questions Starting Out Unique?

Abilene, TX Long Distance Rental Questions Starting Out Unique?

West Sacramento, CA · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 1 vote

Hi BP community,

I live in California and one of my family member will be stationed at Dyess Airforce Base in a month. He will be staying there for at least 2 years. His housing allowance is $1350. He is willing to live in a hotel for a month or so while I search for a potential rental home. I would like some tips and advice on the situation.


I've done some research and Wylie, which is about 15 minutes from the AF base, will be the most desirable location for families with children due to the school system. Houses around there average $160-200k currently for a 3br, 2 bath. I was looking at this as an opportunity to get my feet wet in the buy and hold. I am not sure if a month or so is enough to look for a decent deal or just a home within my budget of being sub $200k. I would not have to worry about the first 2 years of rent, which is the main reason for my interest in buying right now. I figure I can learn the nitty gritty using those 2 years.

Please let me know your thoughts, comments and questions on the situation. Also, please recommend an agent in the area that I could work with during the process. Thanks in advance!


 

0Reply
20 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Abilene, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Phong Nguy

    Hello! Wylie graduate (2018) here. I will say Wylie is definitely the best area to invest for buy and hold in the Abilene area. You can definitely also find deals in the 160-200 range in the Chimney Rock neighborhood, Champions neighborhood, mesquite forest area as well. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about Abilene. Feel free to send a colleague request as well.

    Ben Hudman

    Abilene Demo and Reno

    Hudman Investment Group

  • West Sacramento, CA · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ben Hudman:

    @Phong Nguy

    Hello! Wylie graduate (2018) here. I will say Wylie is definitely the best area to invest for buy and hold in the Abilene area. You can definitely also find deals in the 160-200 range in the Chimney Rock neighborhood, Champions neighborhood, mesquite forest area as well. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about Abilene. Feel free to send a colleague request as well.

    Ben Hudman

    Abilene Demo and Reno

    Hudman Investment Group

    Hi Ben,

    Thank you for the insight! I will search around in the area for any good value homes. 

    Cheers,

    Phong

  • Abilene, TX · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Phong Nguy

    Hey, I live in Abilene right now and would agree, nearly everything in the Wylie school district is a solid area for Buy & Hold. They are building more and more all around Wylie, definitely the up and coming part of town. With the base here there are always people looking for rentals. Just keep in mind what the BAH is for most military members, a quick google search for Dyess AFB BAH will get you exact amounts, but generally most people looking for a place off base are around the 1000-1600 range. Generally military folks like to keep their rent under their BAH, so if you go much over that you'll isolate yourself to the senior enlisted/officer and there aren't a whole lot of those. 

    Feel free to reach out if you have more questions, or need any local contacts!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.