Why wouldn't I ? Build and sell or Build and rent?

Why wouldn't I ? Build and sell or Build and rent?

New to Real Estate · Las Vegas NV · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Why wouldn't I ? or Why Shouldn't I ?

I have worked hard in the construction industry most of my adult life. I am looking to get into REI with SFH or duplex. The thought of coordinating a new build is second nature to me. My wife and I have worked hard on Debt elimination and we are within 6 months of being debt free.

This is my thought process: Spec Property.

I can build at $125 sq ft, Land is approximately  $25-$30 per sq ft of home  and the average selling price for 3B3Ba is $215  - $230 Sq ft with the average rent in the same area of $1,790 mo.

With that in mind, 1,500 sq ft new home build = $225,000 with land

ARV for this home @ $224 Sq ft would be $336,000. if sold, I would stand to pocket just under $100k after closing. If held would cashflow at $100 - $110 mo after expenses with $100k equity in the property at a 70% @ 4% Refi, allowing me to recover my initial investment of $225k. Rinse and Repeat...

I can only afford to build one at a time, and crunching in approximately 1.5 - 2 builds per year.

My venture would be all self funded to avoid paying out undue interest to a Hard Money Lender. (not that that it is out of the question)

The market I am looking into is in dyer need to 3/2 rentals.  

My end game is to build a next egg of 400-500k, build my dream property and create positive cashflow with equity reserves.

My Plan - -#1 -Build 1 is a House Hack duplex, Using my VA benefit if needed, -- with similar numbers as the Spec above. My portion of the mortgage would be $600 mo, and cash flow at +900 mo after step 3. #2 -While living in the duplex, Build 4 -5 properties and sell - #3 - with the Nest egg now in place, build my dream property and start the Rental property STACK.. with my initial investment of $300K using the above "spec" property description.

I have read a lot of discussions on BRRRR and searching properties for rental income, and they are out there. But if I can build at 30% under retail, and I have the knowledge base and skill set to accomplish this... Why wouldn't I ? My wife and I will be working full time to cover our living expenses up to step 3, where we could cash out 1 build every year or 2 and continue building rental properties. I have spoke with Real-estate agents, Mortgage brokers and property managers in the area and they all seem to be onboard, but they all stand to gain from my risk, which is why I am reaching out to my fellow BiggerPockets members.

Thank you for entertaining my thought process, and I look forward to any advise or criticism.

0Reply
9 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 540 posts · 285 votes
    6y

    @Curt Hoffart

    As a fellow GC, I have had this virtually the entire thought process and it it a solid, valid one. It all depends on the cost to build vs cost to buy. In your scenario it makes the most sense to sell and make the ~$100k first, rather than B(build)RRRR and rent it and only get a few hundred a month. Also you put a lot on the line to build the home, as any new developer does. Not that it seems the market is going to crash, but the developers got burned extremely bad in 07-08 because they were holding all the property and the stalled builds, I just wouldn’t do more than 1-2 at a time and figure out your market.

    Or totally opposite go BIG and buy a plot of land cheap and try to fully develop it and get the economy of scale instead of doing infill lots.

  • New to Real Estate · Las Vegas NV · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thank you Frank, I currently cannot afford to go BIG, as the cost of land is prohibitive. In thinking through your post, I could build and sell and buy a better positive cash flow rental. letting someone else do the leg work..

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.