How should I started real estate investment during pandemic

How should I started real estate investment during pandemic

Rental Property Investor · Bellevue · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 15 votes

Hi, great BiggerPockets investors,

I live in Seattle area, and luckily both me and my wife work in high tech companies, we work crazily hard and get good number on our W2s. Now we are looking forward to invest our saving to real estate and hope one day (5-10 years) it can replace our W2 and support a decent life for our family.

Seattle area has been well known for its crazy growth of real estate markets, hard to find good cash flow following the bigger pockets formulas. I would like to get advice on how can I get started in real estate investment, I was looking on Redfins from South Tacoma areas to north Everett. Any recommendations on which area and what type of properties ?

Preference wise, we would like to be more hands-off since our current job is busy, we are okay with compromising short term cash flow with long term appreciation. Also open to partnerships. We are wiling to put down 500k - 700k into real estate in the next 12 months.

Thanks a lot.

1Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Omaha, NE · Member since 2020 · 611 posts · 665 votes
6y

I'm somewhat surprised more people haven't offered to spend your cash for you! Have you considered out-of-state investing? In a market like Omaha, Nebraska, where I live, 500- to 700k could get you enough property to cashflow exceptionally, and one of the underappreciated truths about this city is that it has been stable through market cycles.

We don't appreciate rapidly, but economic downturns don't tend to harm our real estate much either. Omaha is a great place for steady appreciation, fair property values, and reasonable annual population growth. Message me if you're interested in discussing this market. I'm a motivated investor, open to partnerships.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Omaha, NE · Member since 2020 · 611 posts · 665 votes
    6y

    I'm somewhat surprised more people haven't offered to spend your cash for you! Have you considered out-of-state investing? In a market like Omaha, Nebraska, where I live, 500- to 700k could get you enough property to cashflow exceptionally, and one of the underappreciated truths about this city is that it has been stable through market cycles.

    We don't appreciate rapidly, but economic downturns don't tend to harm our real estate much either. Omaha is a great place for steady appreciation, fair property values, and reasonable annual population growth. Message me if you're interested in discussing this market. I'm a motivated investor, open to partnerships.

  • Brandon VukelichBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA: 🏢 27 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 456 votes
    6y

    We should talk.  I watch everything from Everett to Olympia and out towards Bremerton.  Avoid Seattle, in my opinion.  Too many other areas in King, Pierce, Snohomish and Kitsap to consider if you'd like to stay local.  

    @Jody Sperling - Good to know about your area and open to partnerships. I'll keep you in mind.  

    Broker at Multifamily Properties519 Reviews
  • Michael HaasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Do you already own your primary residence @Linus Cui ? House hacking a single-family with ADU, or a small multifamily would be a great way to start accumulating properties if you don't already own your primary residence (or are open to moving). You have plenty of cash to buy rentals traditionally as well though if you really want to go that route, just know that the cash on cash return won't be nearly as good.

    Cashflow is passable out here, but you're right, the main draw is appreciation, rent growth, and loan paydown. When you're playing that game at current 3% interest rates you want to minimize your cash invested and use the bank's money as much as possible - and with a house-hack you can put 5-10% down on a property instead of 20-25% on a typical rental.

    Let me know if you'd like to grab a coffee and chat about strategies in more detail anytime - we're here in Seattle as well. Congrats on your financial success thus far!

    HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Private lending, Notes, Turnkeys, and Syndications are all popular options for folks in your situation: living in a high cost of living area, good income and savings but limited time to invest in building the real estate business. Those are roughly in order of more active to least active, with syndications requiring zero active participation from investors once the investment is made.

    I agree with others that a primary residence with an ADU could also be a very good option, but that may or may not be something you want to take on.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bellevue · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Jody Sperling thanks a lot for showing the opportunities in your area to me. I will do some research, will definitely contact you for promising investments :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Bellevue · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Brandon Vukelich thanks for replying, glad to know that you are looking at a broad area within the state. Anyway I can learn more about those area from you?

  • Rental Property Investor · Bellevue · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Michael Haas thanks for your answer. I do have a primary residence. And having another ex-primary resilience rented out, the cash flow is just enough for mortgage and appreciation is below average of the Seattle area :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Bellevue · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Michael Haas I was looking around, and hard to find a deal, and don’t know what strategy would work for me :) and that’s why I am looking help here.

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    6y

    @Taylor L. is on to something here. I would consider passive investing in syndication deals due to how busy you currently are. It's a way to invest in real estate, create different streams of income, without taking up any of your time. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2017 · 114 posts · 108 votes
    6y

    @Lintao Cui I agree with a few others here who suggested considering passively investing in multifamily. Based upon your desires for hands off, goals for a certain lifestyle and capital that you have to invest, perhaps multifamily passive investing is a great fit for you. Have you considered this?

  • Andrew HoganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 559 posts · 463 votes
    6y

    Lintao, I always advise that people do their research when it comes to sponsors and deals. When you’re considering an investment sponsor, do due diligence. Keep in mind to always:

    • Look at the team: Is the sponsor a one-man show? If there’s a team, what do they bring to the table?
    • “Stalk” the sponsor online: Do some basic internet searches. If you’re not finding much about the sponsor, that could be a red flag.
    • Ask for references: Email references and set up a time to call them. Ask some open-ended questions and find out what they have to say about the sponsor.
    • Keep in mind that the Sponsor, their track record, team, experience, and ability to execute are of greater importance to underwrite than the deal itself. A mediocre deal can be turned around by a great sponsor but a mediocre sponsor will make a great deal go to ruins.

    All the best!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bellevue · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Andrew Hogan thanks! Extremely useful!

  • John FortesPro Member
    Multi-Family Syndicator · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 603 posts · 347 votes
    6y

    @Lintao Cui investing passively is an ideal approach for the everyday working professional and leveraging a sponsor is beneficial to their lifestyle.

    There are multifamily syndications to help invest passively and multifamily funds of funds you can participate in to be extremely passive.

    There are pros and cons to each. I'd be happy to discuss and there's tons of information out there.

    Happy investing!

  • Investor · Atkinson, NH · Member since 2010 · 36 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    There are too many unknowns with the economy right now.   I would be patient and hold on to your cash.  I know it does not feel like the right thing as real estate is super hot and you feel like you are going to missing out.   

    I have been through market highs a few times, and this is how it feels before the bottom drops.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bellevue · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @John Colburn thanks for the great advice, really appreciated

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.