What was your "I'm done" moment with your 9 to 5?

What was your "I'm done" moment with your 9 to 5?

Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 14 votes

Mine was getting denied vacation due to understaffing. I thought to myself,"why should I even ask for permission to enjoy my life?"

Since then, I've focused on making ALL of my time on my own terms. Real Estate and investing has given me inspiration.

What was yours? Inspire!

8Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 531 posts · 310 votes
6y

Day one of my first 9-5.  I literally said, this is not for me!

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I worked for a company in Woodland Hills, CA, writing sales letters for their health and dating products (both digital and physical). 

    I worked hard and stayed late while others would take two hour lunches and goof off. 

    The writers had by far the most turnover in this company - they didn't train us or give us direction and because of that there was a revolving door of writers. The ad buyers, designers, etc. didn't seem to get the axe. 

    They fired me and I went home and started affiliate marketing (which I learned about from working there). It was much more enjoyable than driving 25 miles each way to deal with all that nonsense and I vowed to never work for anyone but me ever again. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Suffolk, VA · Member since 2020 · 59 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    I completely understand that JC... that happens all the time with my job. But I still never was like I will find something else. It was kind of just 'well it is what it is'. But honestly, covid happening. I am a RN so I still worked, but i stayed home for about 3 months during the height of it bc our daycare was closed and then I didnt want to bring my son back at first. And I dont live near any family and my husband was deployed so I couldnt quarantine if I did get exposed from my 18 month old. But I did enjoy being home and was kind of researching at nights financial freedom and real estate always came up. Have had a rental property for years now and was like duh, lets do more. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 14 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:

    I worked for a company in Woodland Hills, CA, writing sales letters for their health and dating products (both digital and physical). 

    I worked hard and stayed late while others would take two hour lunches and goof off. 

    The writers had by far the most turnover in this company - they didn't train us or give us direction and because of that there was a revolving door of writers. The ad buyers, designers, etc. didn't seem to get the axe. 

    They fired me and I went home and started affiliate marketing (which I learned about from working there). It was much more enjoyable than driving 25 miles each way to deal with all that nonsense and I vowed to never work for anyone but me ever again. 

    My man, i bet you aren't missing that Woodland Hills heat right about now! close to 100 today! Im in the LA area as well so i get it. I grew up in LA and have been aware of the Eat or be Eaten mentality in the workplace. Like one great poet once said, "Hell is other people." haha

    How are you enjoying freedom?

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 14 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Meghan Freckleton-Hopkins:

    I completely understand that JC... that happens all the time with my job. But I still never was like I will find something else. It was kind of just 'well it is what it is'. But honestly, covid happening. I am a RN so I still worked, but i stayed home for about 3 months during the height of it bc our daycare was closed and then I didnt want to bring my son back at first. And I dont live near any family and my husband was deployed so I couldnt quarantine if I did get exposed from my 18 month old. But I did enjoy being home and was kind of researching at nights financial freedom and real estate always came up. Have had a rental property for years now and was like duh, lets do more. 

    So cool! I, myself, is STILL doing the grind in healthcare (therapist), and while I do love the job, sometimes I wonder why i still have to "ask" for a day off, or "ask" if I can have a day for doctors appointments for myself. I get how COVID can put things into perspective as well. While everyone gets to work from home, I'm in the frontline day in and day out doing my part, but there is a piece of me that understands that I should not be, and I should also look out for myself and my loved ones. 

    Congrats on the rental! how many do you have now?!

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jc Galang:
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:

    I worked for a company in Woodland Hills, CA, writing sales letters for their health and dating products (both digital and physical). 

    I worked hard and stayed late while others would take two hour lunches and goof off. 

    The writers had by far the most turnover in this company - they didn't train us or give us direction and because of that there was a revolving door of writers. The ad buyers, designers, etc. didn't seem to get the axe. 

    They fired me and I went home and started affiliate marketing (which I learned about from working there). It was much more enjoyable than driving 25 miles each way to deal with all that nonsense and I vowed to never work for anyone but me ever again. 

    My man, i bet you aren't missing that Woodland Hills heat right about now! close to 100 today! Im in the LA area as well so i get it. I grew up in LA and have been aware of the Eat or be Eaten mentality in the workplace. Like one great poet once said, "Hell is other people." haha

    How are you enjoying freedom?

    The freedom is nice. It's been years but I still enjoy waking up whenever and doing work whenever. I'm not a nap person but I was tired today and took a nap. Then I woke up and walked around in the park with a date. 

    RE helped me get those monthly checks and the freedom is wonderful. That's what's so nice about this site - 99.8% of people on BP are cool and respectful - probably because most are landlords and are living a decent life with a good amount of options and freedom. 

    Woodland Hills will get even hotter during the next two months. We worked out of a mansion where (NBAer Matt Barnes was supposed to buy it but I don't know if he ever did as they canned me) which was cool as they had a pool and a nice garden but the office politics were awful. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Karl B. Nice! Naps and a date. Sounds like a good Monday.

    Sweet gig with the mansion. Matt Barnes didn't buy the mansion in woodland hills. He bought one in Encino down the street from me. Seen him around town, but not since covid. Thanks for responding!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 531 posts · 310 votes
    6y

    Day one of my first 9-5.  I literally said, this is not for me!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 304 posts · 462 votes
    6y

    After I was fired from my 3rd job, it became clear to me that corporate politics was not for me. To guarantee that I would never get another job, I sued for wrongful dismissal and won. I was blacklisted in the process. Never looked back. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2014 · 486 posts · 303 votes
    6y

    @Jc Galang corporate politics. There’s just too many to learn. Not all places but definitely when sales and marketing is involved.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2016 · 335 posts · 470 votes
    6y

    Had FU money in the bank after grinding without passion for years.  BRRRRd my first property and pulled out ~$23K more than I had put in.  I've never ran so fast the day I ran from that corporate gig.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Suffolk, VA · Member since 2020 · 59 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Jc Galang currently only have the 1 rental. Have had it and did not really think we wanted to get more. Just kind of fell into it when husband got stationed somewhere else 6 years ago. But was listening to a podcast, i forgot what show #, i think the one where they had like 13 people on giving their #1 tip. But they said the house you are living in now is your next rental. We had been thinking about moving. Had met with realtor to sell this house and buy another, but A Ha moment... working on getting this one rented and move to another. Then planning on taking HELOC out of first rental to purchase another rental within 6-8 mos time frame after we move. Looking at vacation rentals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 215 votes
    6y

    Corporate ladder climbing was not my strong point so I started my own technology and consulting company about 17 years ago full time and never looked back. I added/started my real estate business about 8 years ago and have a small portfolio of well managed and high cash flowing rentals, which I am always expanding.

    I absolutely love the way things have worked out where I work on some cool projects and convert money made in consulting into long term wealth building real estate. I am passionate about both technology and real estate. Quality of life doing this for the last several years is off the charts. Leaving the 9-5 behind was the absolute best life decision I ever made. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.