19 Years Old and Trying to Decide on Financing Route

19 Years Old and Trying to Decide on Financing Route

Realtor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2020 · 44 posts · 23 votes

I am 19 years old and working on securing my first income property. I have been following my local market for the past year through an email list that I'm on with my Realtor and know that most properties range between the $100,000-$140,000 range for a 2 unit multi-family that I plan to househack in. I understand that a conventional loan usually requires a 20-25% down-payment when going through most lenders, but looking at this I know that this is a lot of money to have in a deal, and on top of that I also know that I'd like to have money on the side saved up as well for any costs such as unexpected maintenance that may come up on the units.This brings me to a more round number of needing $28,000+ for in cash sitting for a deal. I am trying to come to terms with the usage of an FHA loan as when I run the numbers for the down-payment and compare the interest rate to what a conventional would offer, it actually doesn't seem to be that bad of a deal. I know that there is the special insurance that's paid on top of having the FHA that can be a disadvantage, but I'm wondering how people go about approaching their first deal because I don't think that many people actually toss the full $28,000 at their first deal. I'm really liking the idea of an FHA due to it not requiring as much money in the deal and that it would allow me to just get started much faster, and would also have the restrictions in place that require the property to be much more livable (making it a bit closer to a turn-key). I just would like the convincing and peace of mind that having lower money down isn't such a bad thing as I've been raised to try to avoid any debt possible. Hopefully some experienced investors may be able to chime in to help! Thanks in advance!

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan WeberBusiness Member
Realtor · Portland, ME · Member since 2015 · 655 posts · 552 votes
6y

@Ryan Ness Consumer debt is a bad thing. Debt in the form of a cash flow positive real estate investment - not a bad thing.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan WeberBusiness Member
    Realtor · Portland, ME · Member since 2015 · 655 posts · 552 votes
    6y

    Hi Ryan - FHA is a VERY common way for people to get started. It makes home ownership very achievable. Although it comes with the extra insurance (PMI or MIP), you can refinance your loan to a conventional loan once you have 70%-80% equity in the home, which then drops this extra insurance payment. It doesn't HAVE to be there forever. You could look for a duplex at the lower range of your search parameters you mentioned ($100k) that is habitable but needs new kitchens, bathrooms, paint - cosmetic upgrades. You can pick away at these projects over the course of 1-3 years. After these items are done, hopefully you have forced enough appreciation that you have enough equity to refi out of the FHA loan into a conventional loan. All the while you are receiving the tax benefits, mortgage pay down by others, and wealth accumulation of owning real estate - AND hopefully enjoying an extremely low cost of living!

  • Realtor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2020 · 44 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Dan Weber I appreciate all of the great insight! I have grown up always knowing that more debt is a really bad thing so just the consideration of borrowing money for a house is a difficult subject for me to talk with my parents about as I always have to follow everything with my added consideration that I still am opposed to taking on debt. FHA seems to be one of the best routes for my to take, especially with the added ability to Re-Fi later on to get rid of the added insurance cost.

  • Dan WeberBusiness Member
    Realtor · Portland, ME · Member since 2015 · 655 posts · 552 votes
    6y

    @Ryan Ness Consumer debt is a bad thing. Debt in the form of a cash flow positive real estate investment - not a bad thing.

  • Lender · Frisco, TX · Member since 2019 · 546 posts · 270 votes
    6y

    @Ryan Ness Have you spoken with a lender? Usually I recommend people speak with the lender before going to crazy on researching different loan options and trying to preapprove themselves. There’s a lot of miss information out there and a lot of information that may or may not apply to your specific scenario

  • Realtor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2020 · 44 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Elise Marquette I appreciate you reaching out. I just spoke to a lender the other day about the opportunities offered by an FHA vs Conventional when it comes to down payment requirements, PMI, and risk. It was a very eye-opening discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.