Struggling with Price and Timeline, When do I Invest?

Struggling with Price and Timeline, When do I Invest?

New to Real Estate · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 86 posts · 41 votes

It's the age old dilemma. The nicer (and higher demand) areas are more expensive but command higher rents. The lower end areas are cheaper but demand more repairs/updates and are harder to rent out. I'm in Dallas and I work in downtown Dallas, I'm currently renting but my ideal situation would be to find a househack so I can save up for more rental properties. My work location exacerbates my problem as I'm tethered to downtown and I'm trying to avoid a massive commute. However, if you are familiar with Dallas you'll know that the market is competitive and I find myself priced out of many areas.

My question is: do I buy a cheaper place in a potentially less desirable area or do I continue saving so I can afford a property in a more expensive area with higher demand? Most (not all) of the properties in the 130k-160k range are either thrashed, cheaply built, or in a dicey area I wouldn't feel comfortable living in. Should I wait longer and save more to try to get a property in a better area ("location, location, location")? 

I'm checking my MLS searches almost every day and I have a good realtor, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'll need to expand my price range. Any advice helps! I'm trying to be realistic with my expectations.

1Reply
16 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Haley Powell

    I am facing some of the similar issues you mention. I am curious to see if others have any advice.

  • New to Real Estate · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 86 posts · 41 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ian McDuffee:

    @Haley Powell

    I am facing some of the similar issues you mention. I am curious to see if others have any advice.

    Ian, I tried reposting this in a different category and have gotten some feedback. Here's a link to that post if you're interested. https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

  • Accountant · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Haley Powell

    I had not seen your other post. I will check it out. Thanks for the heads-up!

  • New to Real Estate · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 86 posts · 41 votes
    5y

    @Ian McDuffee no worries! I hope it helps!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.