Security Camera’s without WiFi

Security Camera’s without WiFi

Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 40 votes

What are you all using for security on your vacant properties without Wi-Fi or in some cases, no electricity? I have been looking around and it seems the options are very limited? 

Thanks

Rick

0Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Denton, TX · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 5 votes
6y

@Rick Wade

I have T-Mobile cell service. I purchased their T9 Wi-Fi hotspot outright for $90 then purchased Blink Wi-Fi cameras from Best buy.

The wifi hotspot plan run $10/month for 2gb. I own the T9 outright so I can start and stop the hotspot service as needed. There is no monthly charge on the Blink cameras.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    SimpliSafe has been mentioned on here as one option that might work for you since they have wireless cameras that don't require WiFi (they use cellular).  There's even a BiggerPockets promo code: https://simplisafe.com/pockets

  • Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    Thanks Kyle, I have already looked at SimplySafe and thought they only had WiFi camera’s. After reading your post, I called them and they confirmed that they only sell WiFi systems. I need one with Cellular built in. 

    Rick

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Interesting. I’ve never used the product myself, but I’ve always heard SimpliSafe worked with cellular and this is from their own website:

    Do I need a WiFi connection of computer to use SimpliSafe?

    No. You do not need a computer or WiFi for SimpliSafe to protect your home. Cellular-based monitoring is included in the monitoring price.

    Source: https://support.simplisafe.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029373472-Do-I-need-a-WIFI-connection-or-computer-to-use-SimpliSafe-

  • Denton, TX · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Rick Wade

    I have T-Mobile cell service. I purchased their T9 Wi-Fi hotspot outright for $90 then purchased Blink Wi-Fi cameras from Best buy.

    The wifi hotspot plan run $10/month for 2gb. I own the T9 outright so I can start and stop the hotspot service as needed. There is no monthly charge on the Blink cameras.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Lee Schreck do you notice quite a delay in your images?  I have an Arlo camera on Verizon network and often the triggering event (like someone going by) is complete before the image clip starts.  We didn't want to get wifi at this location but looks like I am going to have to.  The arlo is good enough for sustained activity but my nest wifi cameras give us more real time but require internet. 

    @Rick Wade you can get systems with SD cards that just plug in. If you have no electric arlo will work by battery.  Also I checked out cameras for wildlife you put those in the woods with no electric and they are outdoor rugged but I think they were more pricey.

  • Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    Lee

    Excellent recommendation. Camera’s will be here tomorrow, I am picking up a t-9 in an hour. Thanks for speaking up. 

    Rick

  • Denton, TX · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Colleen F.

    I know what your talking about and it does happen. Not often though. You have 10 settings for the sensitivity.

    I've also noticed they work best with side to side movement instead of straight on. I have mine set to the side of the porch so anyone coming toward the property creates that side motion and they trigger immediately.

    For the most part I haven't had any issues with them. I just bought another set for another property so I guess I'm happy with the results for the price paid. Super easy to set up and the app works great.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Lee Schreck  we set ours up to capture the dumpster and there is a limit to where it is useful and  there is electric.  We have it at the most sensitive setting to and it still happens all the time.  I don't know if it is the cell signal too because this isn't the city.  Thanks Maybe we'll try repositioning.  

  • Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    Lee

    I have another question. I bought a hotspot from T-mobile. Used it to surf around the net while at my new property, then tried to set up the cameras. Only got one set up and could not get any more set up. Called the next morning and T-mobile said I had already gone over my 2G. Wow, that would mean I would need much more bandwidth than 2G. I called Blink and they said they did not recommend using a hotspot, but would not tell me how much bandwidth I should expect to use? Any thoughts?

    Thanks

    Rick

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2019 · 530 posts · 511 votes
    6y

    @Kyle J.

    I use SimpliSafe

    Their base unit has cellular for control of systems and alerting

    The base system does NOT transmit video

    Their cameras require WiFi

    I have a camera with my system I can’t really use because of this. I have thought of adding a JetPack/hotspot to my Verizon plan to put at my rehabs to overcome this but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. If you have an old cell phone on your plan that will host a hotspot that could be an option too.

    In the end, I too was disappointed in the advertising that seemed a little deceptive.

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2019 · 530 posts · 511 votes
    6y

    @Rick Wade

    To find out how much bandwidth you need, you need to know the duration and quality of the video feed. Without knowing specific info on the system I can’t say.

    This is a good overall review of how you can determine the size of a video feed:

    https://www.videoproc.com/edit-4k-video/video-size-calculator.htm

    Just as a comparison, Netflix uses about 3GB of data per hour streaming. So if you are watching this feed on HD for more than a few seconds here and there you would burn through a 2GB plan relatively quickly.

  • Denton, TX · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Rick Wade

    This Friday will be 2 weeks into my bill cycle. I have used 256mb of data. This is 3 cameras on the Blink system.

    The more you view the cameras the more bandwidth you use. When I first got my cameras I used to check constantly and now I only look if I get alerted of motion being detected.

    I have my cameras adjusted so I only get motion if someone physical walks onto my porch, goes into my backyard, or is inside the house. My cameras rarely go off. This is why 2gb is plenty for my application.

  • Denton, TX · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Rick Wade

    Check your settings. I have my video quality on standard. I have it set up to end recording if motion stops. And my clip length at 30 seconds.

  • Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    David, thanks for that explanation, I knew it would be difficult to figure the actual bandwidth out, I was just hopeful that a company that sells these camera’s would have a better feel for what they use. 

    Lee, thanks for the info. I had watched a video before hand and that was probably what killed my 2G. I will try it again. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Another tip is if you are at the property disarm the system. You can go through a lot of your data if you have it set to send clips when it detects motion and  you are walking in the cameras zone of detection. 

  • Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 40 votes
    5y

    Lee

    Thanks for all your help. I have had the system up for 2 weeks now. Adjusted all of the settings. Low usage as you stated. 

    Rick

  • Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 40 votes
    5y

    Thanks to all that replied to my question. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.