Considering a Career Jump- Theatre to REI. Any Tips?

Considering a Career Jump- Theatre to REI. Any Tips?

Flipper/Rehabber · Bozeman, MT · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 5 votes

Hey there folks!

The pandemic has shifted the courses of many professionals in this country, and I was one of them. Small bit of background- I have been working in the Theatre/Opera Industry for the past 10 years or so, and found myself to be quickly advancing in the system at a young age. I worked on the Production side of theatre, and have hands on experience as both a carpenter and as a manager. I was unfortunate and hurt my back in the business, but that just forced me to shift my focus to become a stronger and more effective supervisor for my crews. After receiving a furlough due to COVID, I was left a little panicked- what was my next step!?

A dear friend passed along "Rich Dad Poor Dad" as well as a BiggerPockets REI book, and I feel like I've been bitten by a bug- I am now turning my down time into education time, absorbing as much as I can- books, podcasts, YouTube videos... I'm curious if there is anyone else here who comes from a similar Theatrical Background, and what avenues or tips they would suggest I go down as I continue to educate myself before taking a plunge into this world?

Like I said, just getting started in this and know I have a lot to learn but I’m hungry and want anything you’d be willing to share. Thanks in advance! Very excited to be here.

2Reply
32 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    5y

    Thanks for sharing our story with us, @Wyatt Nyman. If you're looking to reach financial and time freedom, and even "retire" sooner than most, real estate investing will help with all of those things. Continue to self-educate by reading books and listening to podcasts. You've come to the right place to connect with and learn from industry professionals. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bozeman, MT · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Marlen Weber

    Thanks Marlen! Do you have any books or podcasts you would recommend for someone who is attempting to figure out how to “organize the puzzle pieces”, so to speak?

  • New to Real Estate · Northern Colorado · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi Wyatt!  I’m in the same boat.  16 years producing some of the largest concerts on the planet and managing clubs and theaters across the country.  I’m now in real estate school.  Representing buyers and sellers is going to teach me the ropes and fund investments.   I’d recommend Brandon’s book ‘Investing in real estate with little to no money down’  its a good one.  Best of luck my friend!  

  • Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    Hi Wyatt,

    Fellow stagehand here (almost 25 years in industry, Local One since 2007). My wife and I left NYC back in March (we had made the plan pre-COVID, just fortunate timing on our part) and are now in Durham, NC. As the industry is basically dead for the foreseeable future, I've pivoted to real estate. We've just gone into contract on our first rental property here, and I'm still debating whether or not to get my real estate license here. 

    Happy to connect and share any info I can. 

  • Member since 2020 · 437 posts · 675 votes
    5y

    @Wyatt Nyman

    Good luck with your RE career. I recall back in 2009, people were going in the opposite direction. Fleeing away from RE to other professions. My only advice is to be careful and watch against any Get Rich Quick schemes and fast talking real estate gurus peddling expensive courses and seminars. There are plenty of those around and that group is especially on high octane given how many more vulnerable people to take advantage off these days.

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    5y

    My pleasure @Wyatt Nyman. Here's a nice list of books I think you could find helpful. https://www.thebalance.com/bes...

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bozeman, MT · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Thanks all for your supportive words and helpful tips! A stack of seven books came in for me today that I'm anxious to start reading and analyzing- should be a decent start. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go so a keep an eye out for my posts. It would be great to have some experienced folks give a helpful nudge or pointer when you felt like helping out that lost intern who has spent the last 30 minutes looking for the board stretcher... I thought they told me it was over on SR somewhere...   

  • Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    Wyatt - it's right next to the gel cleaner in the bottom of the SM console in the torm. If you can't find it, ask Sparky if he's grabbed it because he couldn't find his cable stretcher. I've told him time and again you can't just interchange the tools. But you now how these new kids are sometimes. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.