Austin or Tampa for my first investment

Austin or Tampa for my first investment

Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 205 posts · 92 votes

Hello BP friends,

It's been a while. A few years ago I was active on here dedicated to REI.

I’ve spend the past couple years on other ventures, and now I’d like to pick it back up.

Back then, I was looking at Tampa. The I-4 corridor was booming and what not. I’m not too sure where it’s at now.

I also like the idea of Austin. (Never been, but really want to visit.) What’s the start of the market there?

Good investments as long as you know where to look? (Just like most places? 😅)

I now live in Puerto Rico so no matter where I choose it’ll be long distance.

Much appreciated, and looking forward to (re)connecting with some of you.

Cheers,

André

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Finger Lakes, NY · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 36 votes
5y

I visited Austin last November, 2019 as a tourist for the F1 race. I tried to see everything around the city. It was awesome (UT, historic buildings/homes, food, state parks), except the homeless population which got a bit aggressive and were building encampments along Congress St.... @Neil Narayan has that changed in the downtown area? I sat next to a lawyer on a shuttle from the racetrack who explained some of the debates between the City leadership and the State Government / State police. As I drove out of town the excavators were demolishing the homeless encampment around the shelter on 7th street. I still have a favorable view of the city overall but realize it could be (or was) a tipping point. I realize 2019 was a lifetime ago...maybe downtown investments should be avoided?

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 715 posts · 527 votes
    5y

    Austin, come visit us when you get a chance and you'll love it here

  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Andre Crabb Austin may quite possibly be the hottest market in the country. The November median price is up 19% over November last year and we have less than one month of housing inventory (an all-time low). If you love high appreciation and are willing to be more active in forcing cash flow yield, it’s got decades more to run.

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5112 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Finger Lakes, NY · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    I visited Austin last November, 2019 as a tourist for the F1 race. I tried to see everything around the city. It was awesome (UT, historic buildings/homes, food, state parks), except the homeless population which got a bit aggressive and were building encampments along Congress St.... @Neil Narayan has that changed in the downtown area? I sat next to a lawyer on a shuttle from the racetrack who explained some of the debates between the City leadership and the State Government / State police. As I drove out of town the excavators were demolishing the homeless encampment around the shelter on 7th street. I still have a favorable view of the city overall but realize it could be (or was) a tipping point. I realize 2019 was a lifetime ago...maybe downtown investments should be avoided?

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 715 posts · 527 votes
    5y

    @Maryanne Cameron the city has built more low cost housing however there is no quick fix for this issue ...  especially when some other cities are giving their homeless residents one way free bus ticket to Austin :/

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 205 posts · 92 votes
    5y

    @Neil Narayan wow why is that happening?

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 715 posts · 527 votes
    5y

    quick easy fix for lazy cities. push their problem to another city

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 205 posts · 92 votes
    5y

    @Neil Narayan

    Hilarious.

    And ridiculous 👎

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.