Should I live in a single family for a year

Should I live in a single family for a year

Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes

I’m wanting to begin real estate investing. I’d like to house hack, though I’m not sure house hacking a single family home is right for my current situation. My question is, does it make sense to purchase a single family house with 3.5% down, live there for a year, buy another and rent the first one out? Thanks in advance for the help!

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Milford, PA · Member since 2014 · 395 posts · 299 votes
5y

Then Make It Happen.

Create a list of every duplex tri quad you would live in and start mailing letters and making calls. How about sitting in front of a tri and calling the owner and saying Hey I'm out here in front of you tri-plex over on highland in Dayton. Did you know the gutter is hanging off the roof? or that there is a bathtub in the parking lot or just saying "I'm sitting in front of your tri-plex in Dayton. It's a good looking property have you ever thought of selling?" Don't wait for it to come to you get out there and get it.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Milford, PA · Member since 2014 · 395 posts · 299 votes
    5y

    @Garrett Woodham How do you feel about implementing your plan with one slight change? Buy a duplex or triplex live in one and rent the others out.

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Neil Schoepp that is my plan as of now! Unfortunately, the duplex and triplexes that I’m currently being sent aren’t in areas that I’d be comfortable living with my wife. Hopefully something becomes available, but if that isn’t the case I was looking at the single family option I mentioned?

  • Real Estate Investor · Milford, PA · Member since 2014 · 395 posts · 299 votes
    5y

    Then Make It Happen.

    Create a list of every duplex tri quad you would live in and start mailing letters and making calls. How about sitting in front of a tri and calling the owner and saying Hey I'm out here in front of you tri-plex over on highland in Dayton. Did you know the gutter is hanging off the roof? or that there is a bathtub in the parking lot or just saying "I'm sitting in front of your tri-plex in Dayton. It's a good looking property have you ever thought of selling?" Don't wait for it to come to you get out there and get it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Baltimore Maryland · Member since 2019 · 98 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    This is definitely a strategy that many people take. Just keep in mind your goals.  Recognize that for the first year, you won't cash flow anything because you'll be paying your own mortgage.  And it will take a few years (depending on the rental income vs. mortgage payment of your properties) to actually cash flow a significant amount of money.  But if you're thinking more long term, in 10 years, you'll have 10 properties, a good amount of equity, and some monthly cash flow.  Good luck!

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Chinyere Orie thanks for the reply! My plan while doing this, is to also be able to save enough to buy other rental properties using other methods rather than just house hacking if I can!

  • Real Estate Agent · Baltimore Maryland · Member since 2019 · 98 posts · 74 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Garrett Woodham:

    @Chinyere Orie thanks for the reply! My plan while doing this, is to also be able to save enough to buy other rental properties using other methods rather than just house hacking if I can!

    Awesome! Definitely sounds like a very low risk investment strategy because appreciation in the long term is pretty much guaranteed.  Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Higginson, AR · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 101 votes
    5y

    My son has done that, 9 times in 8 years.  you never completely unpack. lol 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.