Who should I contact to look at a property?

Who should I contact to look at a property?

Alex MartensPro Member
Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 25 votes

Hi BP community,

I'm hoping some of you can give me some guidance. I am actively looking to buy my second property to use as a rental. I currently live in upstate NY but am looking in the Jacksonville, NC area due to the military bases and my high potential to move there. 

Anyway, I found a property that looks like it could be a solid deal, partially because it is advertised to need some new flooring because of water damage. The water damage intimidates me a little bit so I'd like to know more about it. If I wanted someone to look at the property to assess the water damage, and the likeliness that it would happen again, who would that be? Would it be a PM? home inspector, or just a general contractor? Also, I have no contacts in the area at this time. Thank you in advance for all of your input and advice!

Alex

1Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2019 · 97 posts · 109 votes
5y

Whatever you do, don't just call the listing agent.  Find your own Realtor.  The listing agent will sell you the house but they represent the seller and will not have your best interests in mind.  

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2020 · 120 posts · 96 votes
    5y

    @Alex Martens Hi Alex! For that, you could contact a local investor friendly real estate agent to walk through the property. They can take pictures or video of the properties so it’s almost like you are there yourself. However, when it comes to assessing big ticket repair items, I’d get a second opinion from a general contractor. Generally, a rockstar agent in that area would know a good contractor who could also do this for you.

    To find said team members, I would look to BiggerPockets. Just search “agent” or “flipper/rehabber” in the city you’re looking to invest in.

    

    Good luck in building your local team!

  • Alex MartensPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Dalyn Hazell Thank you for your response! That is great advice. I definitely need to learn to use the site to its full potential.

  • Real Estate Broker · Sneads Ferry, NC · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Alex Martens hi Alex! I'm a buyers agent/realtor in the area! Let me know if I can be any assistance! I also have a duplex income producing property here! :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Arlington, VA · Member since 2017 · 98 posts · 50 votes
    5y

    You might also check with @Sean McDonnell. He’s another investor-agent down there, and he’s on top of his stuff! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
    5y

    @Alex Martens Todd Talley is a Marine, investor, and agent in Jacksonville. I would be happy to introduce you to him if you'd like. He is working with several of my friends at the moment :)

  • Alex MartensPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @David Pere I'd be more than happy to chat! Funny, I was actually just about to message you!

  • Realtor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2019 · 97 posts · 109 votes
    5y

    Whatever you do, don't just call the listing agent.  Find your own Realtor.  The listing agent will sell you the house but they represent the seller and will not have your best interests in mind.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.