1st Deal - Househacking in Bronzeville, Am I Too Eager?

1st Deal - Househacking in Bronzeville, Am I Too Eager?

New to Real Estate 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2020 路 11 posts 路 10 votes

Hey everyone!

First post here (although I鈥檝e been lurking 馃憖). I am a newborn baby when it comes to real estate. After the shenanigans of 2020 (dealing with unemployment, uncertainty with jobs, etc.), I realized I couldn鈥檛 rely on a 9-5 job, nor did I want to.

So around November 2020, I started doing my research on RI by all of the conventional methods we all read on here. 

It was rental property vs. house hacking for me, but I鈥檓 leaning towards the latter. I decided I want to explore househacking a duplex in Bronzeville, outside of Chicago. My current lease ends in August.

As mentioned, I'm a newborn and still learning the ins and outs of RI. However, I'm still searching for deals and run across some properties that look interesting. I started a new job last month which brings much needed stability. I've paid off all credit card debt, saving all my bonuses and as much as I can from my paychecks, so I want to make something haI'm hoping to use a FHA loan to finance.

I need some advice!

1. Should I wait and learn more about RI before jumping into it (maybe I鈥檓 an eager beaver) as well as raise more capital for upfront costs? I go back and forth, but I also think the best teacher is experience, but would like to hear your thoughts.

2. My current lease ends in August, but seems like the market tends to get more competitive in the summertime (am I wrong?). Do you think it鈥檚 a viable option on potentially purchase a property needing work, rehab & renovate, then start the hack months down the road (assuming reno will be done, but I know nothing is absolute)? I鈥檓 aware that I would have to pay 2 rents, etc., probably not the smartest. Or if I find a deal before my lease ends that is hard to pass, would you recommend going for it? 

3. Anyone have experience in the Bronzeville area that can shed some light into that market or would like to connect?

I would love to hear any insight you all have to hear. Trying to soak up as much as I can. I鈥檓 not shy to ask any questions, even the most basic or strange, because I believe we all started from somewhere.


Thanks everyone! 馃榿馃榿

2Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker 路 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 路 Member since 2015 路 6k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
5y

@Marteki Codjoe first of all, congrats for getting this far. So many Americans could never dream of being in your position. I tend to agree with the idea that experience is the best teacher within reason. As long as you will have some reserves, I can't think of any reason not to house hack. Bronzeville will be tight from an inventory perspective, so just start analyzing properties and get comfortable with the numbers so you can act quickly when the right opportunity pops up. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • South Holland, IL 路 Member since 2017 路 374 posts 路 432 votes
    5y

    @Marteki Codjoe

    Congratulations on the start of your journey. Any time is a great time to buy as long as the numbers work. My wife and I live in Bronzeville (which is still Chicago 馃槀) and have 20 plus years experience investing in Real Estate.

    If you plan on purchasing something that needs extensive work, Good Luck! It鈥檚 extremely difficult to find good contractors at this time. My wife is an investor, property manager and Realtor for Caldwell Banker. She could help you in your journey. Mallori Lockett 5713379758

  • New to Real Estate 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2020 路 11 posts 路 10 votes
    5y
    Thank you! And yes, I'm just used to talking to people not from the area haha. Thanks will reach out~

    Originally posted by @Quincy Lockett:

    @Marteki Codjoe

    Congratulations on the start of your journey. Any time is a great time to buy as long as the numbers work. My wife and I live in Bronzeville (which is still Chicago 馃槀) and have 20 plus years experience investing in Real Estate.

    If you plan on purchasing something that needs extensive work, Good Luck! It鈥檚 extremely difficult to find good contractors at this time. My wife is an investor, property manager and Realtor for Caldwell Banker. She could help you in your journey. Mallori Lockett 5713379758

  • Real Estate Broker 路 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 路 Member since 2015 路 6k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
    5y

    @Marteki Codjoe first of all, congrats for getting this far. So many Americans could never dream of being in your position. I tend to agree with the idea that experience is the best teacher within reason. As long as you will have some reserves, I can't think of any reason not to house hack. Bronzeville will be tight from an inventory perspective, so just start analyzing properties and get comfortable with the numbers so you can act quickly when the right opportunity pops up. 

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2014 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Marteki Codjoe:

    Hey everyone!

    First post here (although I鈥檝e been lurking 馃憖). I am a newborn baby when it comes to real estate. After the shenanigans of 2020 (dealing with unemployment, uncertainty with jobs, etc.), I realized I couldn鈥檛 rely on a 9-5 job, nor did I want to.

    So around November 2020, I started doing my research on RI by all of the conventional methods we all read on here. 

    It was rental property vs. house hacking for me, but I鈥檓 leaning towards the latter. I decided I want to explore househacking a duplex in Bronzeville, outside of Chicago. My current lease ends in August.

    As mentioned, I'm a newborn and still learning the ins and outs of RI. However, I'm still searching for deals and run across some properties that look interesting. I started a new job last month which brings much needed stability. I've paid off all credit card debt, saving all my bonuses and as much as I can from my paychecks, so I want to make something haI'm hoping to use a FHA loan to finance.

    I need some advice!

    1. Should I wait and learn more about RI before jumping into it (maybe I鈥檓 an eager beaver) as well as raise more capital for upfront costs? I go back and forth, but I also think the best teacher is experience, but would like to hear your thoughts.

    You'll never learn everythign as there are dozens of strategies implemented by Real Estate professionals, but if you're objective is to househack then there's no need to wait. You should start the process of preparing youself for homeownership. Get your capital ready (downpayment, closing costs, reserves,...) & choose a lender to work with.

    2. My current lease ends in August, but seems like the market tends to get more competitive in the summertime (am I wrong?). Do you think it鈥檚 a viable option on potentially purchase a property needing work, rehab & renovate, then start the hack months down the road (assuming reno will be done, but I know nothing is absolute)? I鈥檓 aware that I would have to pay 2 rents, etc., probably not the smartest. Or if I find a deal before my lease ends that is hard to pass, would you recommend going for it? 

    Markets tend to get more competitive in the spring and summer because parents want to get in a new home before the school year starts. With that said I've never believed in seasonal buying. Good deals are available in every season. It's more than a viable option to consider homes that need work, especially since you're looking in Bronzeville. You should only go for a deal that's hard to pass if you're able to sleep at night and not worry about finances. If a deal worries you then pass.

    3. Anyone have experience in the Bronzeville area that can shed some light into that market or would like to connect?
    We know Bronzeville well. Just helped a young family purchase a multifamily to do exactly what you're doing.

    I would love to hear any insight you all have to hear. Trying to soak up as much as I can. I鈥檓 not shy to ask any questions, even the most basic or strange, because I believe we all started from somewhere.


    Thanks everyone! 馃榿馃榿

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2016 路 4k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Marteki Codjoe - Congrats on your first post!  Definitely takes some courage to get comfortable being uncomfortable and put yourself out there.

    My first thought is why wait?  The faster you start, the quicker you get to your goal.  Time is without a doubt our most limited resource so don't waste any of it.  That said you definitely need to continue to educate but more importantly build yourself a solid team.  You should connect with @Eudith Vacio she's a fellow woman RE investor and works in the Bronzeville area.

    I personally love that area!  The market is definitely getting a little more saturated, but nothing like the Northside.  The long-term appreciation in Bronzeville is definitely coming.  People continue to move from the south loop and can pay have the price for the same finishes.

    Once you got your property lined up, reach out and let us know how we can help.

  • New to Real Estate 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2020 路 11 posts 路 10 votes
    5y

    @John Warren Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to continue what I'm doing and learning numbers so I'll be ready when the right deal comes up!

    @Crystal Smith Thanks for the advice. I'll start looking into lenders and keep my eye out on properties as them come by. I go back and forth about entertaining a rehab project, but like you said if it's not the right deal, then I need to pass. My current lease is also a factor to consider, but if it makes sense, then definitely something worth considering.Thanks!

    @Jonathan Klemm Thanks for the connection, I will reach out to her! You're definitely right about time being a valuable resource. It's nice to have a contractor connection too, so definitely will be saving your info, thanks! 

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2014 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Marteki Codjoe:

    @Crystal Smith Thanks for the advice. I'll start looking into lenders and keep my eye out on properties as them come by. I go back and forth about entertaining a rehab project, but like you said if it's not the right deal, then I need to pass. My current lease is also a factor to consider, but if it makes sense, then definitely something worth considering.Thanks!

    Regarding going "back and forth about entertaining a rehab project" even if you don't end up doing a rehab, I submit you'll learn more about real estate by entertaining or exploring the potential for a rehab than you will by just purchasing a turnkey property. While you're still in this stage of learning I recommend you study up on what you can and cannot do with an FHA 203B or FHA 203K loan. While these can be used for renovation, there are still limits on can be done with these loans. Knowing the limits will help as you start to review properties in Bronzeville. I mention this because there are many things done by investors with renovation construction loans that aren't allowed by FHA 203B or 203K loans.

  • New to Real Estate 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2020 路 11 posts 路 10 votes
    5y

    @Crystal Smith Yes, I definitely agree with you with that first statement. I'll continue to learn that process and what that entails. Thanks also for the advice about the FHA loans. I will definitely look into that. This was very helpful, thank you!

  • New to Real Estate 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2020 路 11 posts 路 10 votes
    5y

    @Crystal Smith I'm reading more on the FHA loans and the qualifications. Would you say they are pretty strict on these qualifications, specifically, more-so the debt-to-income ratio? I have very good credit score, no credit card debt. However, I went to professional school and acquired a huge debt load. In your experience, have you seen any wiggle room in this area?

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2014 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Marteki Codjoe:

    @Crystal Smith I'm reading more on the FHA loans and the qualifications. Would you say they are pretty strict on these qualifications, specifically, more-so the debt-to-income ratio? I have very good credit score, no credit card debt. However, I went to professional school and acquired a huge debt load. In your experience, have you seen any wiggle room in this area?

    There's usually no wiggle room in the DTI (DTI), but if you're working with the right mortgage broker they can guide you in what you need to pay off. By the way- FHA is not the only product. There is other low down payment products.

  • Eudith VacioPro Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Chicago & NWI 路 Member since 2015 路 860 posts 路 521 votes
    5y

    How did I miss out on this post? lol

    @Marteki Codjoe congratulations on your first post and to many many more!

    Similar to you, my interest in real estate piqued a few years ago because I did not want to rely on my 9-5 job. I read a bunch of books, bought my first house-hack and then because an agent in wanting to teach others on how to invest and build wealth thru real estate!

    You seem like you are very ambitious which is definitely needed in this game. I agree with everyone else on here that you should begin by analyzing deals. It can take anywhere from 3-6 months to find an investment property that meets your criteria and especially now with lower inventory than usual. I work with a lender that is a renovation specialist that can explain the specifications to you in more detail. 


    If your lease ends in August, then ideally you would want to aim to find something by late June or early July as it can take 30-45 days to close. And knowing that things never really go according to plan, so you might just want to budget in the extra cost of additional rent..

  • New to Real Estate 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2020 路 11 posts 路 10 votes
    5y

    @Eudith Vacio Thanks so much! Your story is great, maybe I'll be like you one day! Yes, I'm learning how to analyze deals and get some more experience in that. The inventory is definitely low, so I'm using this downtime to focus on better educating myself. Thanks for all the advice!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.