Should you get a pre-inspection before putting in an offer?

Should you get a pre-inspection before putting in an offer?

New to Real Estate · Washington, DC · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 8 votes

Have you ever been encouraged to have a pre-inspection as part of your offer on a multifamily property? I was urged to do so since the competition is fierce and having the pre-inspection would make my offer stand out amongst the rest. However, pre-inspections are not cheap and I couldn't image doing one for each and every offer.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Surprise, AZ · Member since 2020 · 405 posts · 179 votes
    5y

    @Alana Bates as a realtor I personally wouldn’t advise a client to get a pre inspection. Sure you could have a better chance of getting your offer accepted but it’s still not a guarantee so you could just end up short that inspection fee without actually buying the deal. Do you plan to rehab the property or is it a turnkey investment?

  • New to Real Estate · Washington, DC · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Cody Neumann thanks! That's what I thought but couldn't be sure since this is my first property I've ever purchased. I don't have a huge budget for rehab (~$10K) so I would prefer a turnkey property.

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Alana Bates I would refrain from doing a pre-inspection, even with harder than normal competition, the pre-inspection will take time, money and may disinterest the seller due to you asking for this while the competition is not asking to perform it. 

    This is not the same as getting upfront leases, pro-forma, or any other information the owner would be willing to provide prior to opening escrow. Some owners are more open for providing this information than other owners. 

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.